Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #26
Deadmanwalking_05

Okay I'll bite.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:05 PM   #27
Mr. Filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltairenyc
KontanKarite,

You posted this in the wrong forum. It shouldn't be under "TV, MOVIES & Games" it should be under "WHINING!" hehhe

Get a life, dude. Seriously. I made a one-minute film and I asked my friend to narrate it. And I happen to think he did an amazing job. That fact that you might not care for his music changes nothing. I am super happy with the outcome.

Maybe instead of sitting at home and whining, you should make your own one minute film. And you can get Peter Murphy to narrate it and then you can be super uber cool. But my guess is that you don't know how to make a movie and you don't know Peter Murphy... so I guess that's why all you can really do is waste time smearing a couple of guys for doing what they enjoy doing.

While I'm on the topic... and since you are so convinced that somehow I arrived at the decision to book Gerard because of money (by the way, I'd love to know where all this money is going to come from since the film is FREE to watch).... let me tell you a little story about another narrator I almost worked with. His name is Peter Murphy. I see you are a fan of his.

I have made 3 of these short films so far and I have a few more in the works. Well, as it happens one that I'm still working on stars a doll that is tall and thin and pale. I thought it would be amazing if Mr. Peter Murphy could narrate that one since I'm a big fan of his. I did a search on-line and found the email address for his manager. I emailed her and told her about my film and that I wanted to book Peter to narrate the film and I quoted a certain amount of money that I'd be able to pay him.
She said something like, "I think Peter would really like this film and I'm sure he would enjoy doing it. However he lives in Turkey so do you think you can fly him to NY and back?"

Mind you, a first class ticket to and from Istanbul to NY is about 4 thousand dollars, which is WAY more than I had offered!!! I told her that I couldn't afford that but that I could fly to Istanbul and record him there because I had lots of frequent flyer miles (and of course it would cost a lot less since I'm happy to fly in coach!).
I got no reply.

About 2 months later I saw that Peter was touring the states and he was coming to NYC. I emailed his manager again and said, "Hey, since he's coming to NY do you think I could book him for one hour to do this?" Again, there was pay involved. I offered to send a car for him, have a buffet waiting, the works! I got no reply.
I emailed her again, no reply. Finally, I said something like, "I'm not sure why you are not replying to me now that he's in town considering how nice you were to reply to me when he was in Turkey. I have to assume I'm not offering enough money for you to care. So, why don't you name your price. Just tell me what you think it would take to make this happen".

I got NO REPLY.

What's the moral of the story? When Peter Murphy's manager needed to get him to NYC, I was worth talking to because maybe, just maybe, I would spring for a ticket to fly him out. But once they found some other sucker to pay for the flight, there was no point in even answering my emails.

So... I ask you, WHO is about money and fame?

Peter Murphy who didn't have one hour to spare (at ANY price) for a fan who really wanted to work with him, or me and Gerard, two guys who worked on a project together because we're friends and both enjoy spooky shit?

The point is, it's easy to sit home and bitch. But you'd seem a whole lot smarter if you ASKED why I chose him instead of just denouncing me and him and the whole thing for totally unrelated reasons.

Voltaire
Firstly: R.O.F.L.M.M.F.A.O.A.P.A.S(rolling on floor laughing my mother fucking ass off and poiting at screen}

Voltaire. If I were a fan I'd be seriously dissapointed in you. Despite the fact that I am not a fan of your music, attacking a person that disagrees with your ethics is bottomless pit style low for a someone who claims to be a musician. You've just made Kontankarite out to be someone of such huge importance by acknowledging his opinion in this post. You obviously are making art for the sake of an audience and not because you are an artist.

I think it was a good call on Peter Murphy's part not to be involved. I will continue to be a Peter Murphy fan after reading this. The fact that he recognized you and Gerard for being scenester posers and not lifting a finger to help out is exactly what makes him a veteran in the scene. Trent Reznor, YES! You and Gerard and some stupid fan, HELL NO!

It's a fan's job to sit and home and call you on it when you make a poor choice! Stop hanging out with losers. Stopping making stupid 'ironic' music. Making your music ironic is a way of hiding the fact that you don't know how to take music seriously. It's like saying "I'm a poor musician but I'm aware of it so that makes it okay". No, Voltaire. Not in my book. Not in Peter Murphy's book either. That's why he snubbed you.

I can't believe you're really here. Not in an excited way. More in a "I knew this guy was a loser" way. Stick around. Maybe you'll be able to win me as a fan.

Kantan, don't let this douche guilt trip you into forgiving him! The fact that he registered and posted for you shows that you made an excellent point and have shattered his facade. The dude is no better than Gerard. You hit the nail on the head. He makes music that appeals to goth kids, not because he likes goth, but because he knows it'll make him money.
Mr. Filth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #28
Despanan

I really hope that was Voltaire. That would be awesome.

I've got a friend who's really into comics who keeps getting flamed on the internet by his comic idols.

This is the Goth equivalent of Stan Lee showing up at his door, saying "Greetings true believer!" and kicking him in the crotch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #29
Deadmanwalking_05

The odd thing is I could see Stan Lee doing that to an irate fan.

But anyways dude *Points to the dude calling himself Voltaire* Sent a message on myspace....what's the verdict?

Old 12-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #30
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
I really hope that was Voltaire. That would be awesome.

I've got a friend who's really into comics who keeps getting flamed on the internet by his comic idols.

This is the Goth equivalent of Stan Lee showing up at his door, saying "Greetings true believer!" and kicking him in the crotch.

I think Kontan's goth points just went up by a few hundred.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #31
Mr. Filth

Voltaire is not to Goth what Stan Lee is to comics.

Voltair is 100% novelty. Something you'd listen to if you weren't really in the mood to listen to music. You'd buy his album more to put on for friends and be like "Dude, you have to hear this band, Voltaire! He's over the top hysterical!"

I can't imagine putting him on alone with big headphones, lit candles and become lost in it.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #32
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysiume
Even is his music is shit, he has quite a good voice.
You've got it backwards. MOST of his music is shit, and he's got a terrible voice.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:32 PM   #33
Deadmanwalking_05

Well I haven't gotten a response on myspace.....So dude stop pretending.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:35 PM   #34
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Filth
Voltaire. If I were a fan I'd be seriously dissapointed in you. Despite the fact that I am not a fan of your music, attacking a person that disagrees with your ethics is bottomless pit style low for a someone who claims to be a musician.
It's impossible to 'claim' to be a musician. You either play music or you don't.
Quote:
You've just made Kontankarite out to be someone of such huge importance by acknowledging his opinion in this post. You obviously are making art for the sake of an audience and not because you are an artist.
He'd still be an artist.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:36 PM   #35
Mr. Filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
You've got it backwards. MOST of his music is shit, and he's got a terrible voice.
He sounds like Morrisey with downs syndrome and a mouth full of marbles.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:39 PM   #36
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
He sounds like Morrisey with downs syndrome and a mouth full of marbles.
I'm not quite sure what that would sound like, but if it would sound like a fat kid getting burned with a blow torch while reciting the fanfic "My Immortal", then I agree.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #37
Mr. Filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
It's impossible to 'claim' to be a musician. You either play music or you don't.

He'd still be an artist.
Yes but it puts his heart in the wrong place. When it comes to music, you should do it because you love it and it's what you were born to do. There are musicians who make music because if it weren't for their music, they'd be lost. These people tend to be the best musicians in the world.

Then there are people like Voltaire, that just cut and paste all the cliches they can think of to appeal to an already prepared audience that somebody of the formerly mentioned ilk created. Calculated and somewhat disingenuous. Fun? Certainly. Flash in the pan? Absofuckinglutely! Worthy of Hall of Fame status? Never.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:45 PM   #38
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Then there are people like Voltaire, that just cut and paste all the cliches they can think of to appeal to an already prepared audience that somebody of the formerly mentioned ilk created.
I've actually only heard one song by him. "Death Death Etc" was rather nice, I think. To my untrained ears, it just sounds like humourous urban rock.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:45 PM   #39
Despanan

Quote:
Voltaire is not to Goth what Stan Lee is to comics.

Voltair is 100% novelty. Something you'd listen to if you weren't really in the mood to listen to music. You'd buy his album more to put on for friends and be like "Dude, you have to hear this band, Voltaire! He's over the top hysterical!"

I can't imagine putting him on alone with big headphones, lit candles and become lost in it.
While I agree that Voltaire is not to Goth what Stan Lee is to comics (I mainly just find the image of Stan Lee kicking someone in the crotch funny) I do really enjoy his work.

Honestly Voltaire is probably the reason I first got into Goth Music. Kontan was back from the Navy, and I was out of college and we were both driving around in my car, and he was talking my ear off about the various Goth bands he was into. All I could think of was the kids in highschool who took themselves SUPER CEREAL and listened to Manson. I really had a dificult time getting past my various prejudices and then suddenly, he put on Voltaire, and I was laughing. I was laughing because I finally understood the basic hilarity of the scene wasn't just something outsiders noticed, it was also something that was appereciated, and actually reveled in by those who were a part of it.

Hell I probably wouldn't have even gotten my second theatre job if I hadn't auditioned with a Voltaire song (and don't get me wrong, I needed that job at the time, just so I could psychologically grasp the concept that I was good enough to keep getting hired.) Voltaire's music has been a really big part of both of our lives the last few years. Sure it's silly, but it's really helped tie the post college and military confusion together for us.

We've both seen him twice, and we've had a great time, and honestly, I probably wouldn't have opened up and gotten into bands like the Cruxshadows and Bahaus if I didn't have Voltaire sitting in the back of my head telling me: It's okay, have fun with it.

That being said, it's not cool to tell a fan to get a life, he didn't even say anything against Voltaire, just questioned his judgment on the implications of that project.

However, if Voltaire and the dude from MCR are actually friends, I suppose it can be galling to have someone seemingly question your artistic integrity just for associating with a buddy.

I dunno, the jury is out, and the internet makes people act like douches, so we'll see.
Quote:
Old 12-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #40
Mr. Filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
While I agree that Voltaire is not to Goth what Stan Lee is to comics (I mainly just find the image of Stan Lee kicking someone in the crotch funny) I do really enjoy his work.

Honestly Voltaire is probably the reason I first got into Goth Music. Kontan was back from the Navy, and I was out of college and we were both driving around in my car, and he was talking my ear off about the various Goth bands he was into. All I could think of was the kids in highschool who took themselves SUPER CEREAL and listened to Manson. I really had a dificult time getting past my various prejudices and then suddenly, he put on Voltaire, and I was laughing. I was laughing because I finally understood the basic hilarity of the scene wasn't just something outsiders noticed, it was also something that was appereciated, and actually reveled in by those who were a part of it.

Hell I probably wouldn't have even gotten my second theatre job if I hadn't auditioned with a Voltaire song (and don't get me wrong, I needed that job at the time, just so I could psychologically grasp the concept that I was good enough to keep getting hired.) Voltaire's music has been a really big part of both of our lives the last few years. Sure it's silly, but it's really helped tie the post college and military confusion together for us.

We've both seen him twice, and we've had a great time, and honestly, I probably wouldn't have opened up and gotten into bands like the Cruxshadows and Bahaus if I didn't have Voltaire sitting in the back of my head telling me: It's okay, have fun with it.

That being said, it's not cool to tell a fan to get a life, he didn't even say anything against Voltaire, just questioned his judgment on the implications of that project.

However, if Voltaire and the dude from MCR are actually friends, I suppose it can be galling to have someone seemingly question your artistic integrity just for associating with a buddy.

I dunno, the jury is out, and the internet makes people act like douches, so we'll see.
I can absolutely relate to that. I'm a huge metal fan and if it weren't for Cradle of Filth (a band abhorred by quite a few metal heads) I may have never gotten into metal. I was more into goth rock and industrial and EBM when I first heard them and it was the way they embraced electronics that turned me on to the metal scene. Also their tongue in cheek attitude and the way they didn't take themselves seriously helped me appreciate the metal scene more and realize the fans weren't all knuckleheaded idiots. Soon enough I was listening to more straight forward metal bands and understanding the attitude behind the music much in the same way Voltaire probably helped you get into goth. Though I consider Cradle a much better metal band than Voltaire a goth band.

I guess he's gateway goth for some people. Kind of like HIM (not a fan). So I can see how you might appreciate him. Maybe I can give Voltaire a more open minded listen some time but I still would probably listen to a dozen other goth bands than him.

Definitely lame that he's putting Kontankirite down though. Maybe he's drunk.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:02 PM   #41
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Definitely lame that he's putting Kontankirite down though. Maybe he's drunk.
Hasn't replied to Deadman's message as far as I know. I'm guessing it's not Voltaire.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:03 PM   #42
Despanan

Unless he passed out at the keyboard...
Quote:
Old 12-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #43
Deadmanwalking_05

Still no response....so the verdict is in.....the guy was a fake.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #44
Despanan

Kontankarite: 1

Internet: 0

Edit: Oh yeah, and My Chemical Romance sucks ass.
Quote:
Old 12-21-2008, 11:21 PM   #45
Deadmanwalking_05

I second that Despanan

Old 12-21-2008, 11:42 PM   #46
Deadmanwalking_05

But I wouldn't mind hearing a Voltaire cover of a Megadeth song.....something like "Last Rights/Loved To Death" or "Sweating Bullets"

Just to find out what it would sound like.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #47
Mr. Filth

Is there a band you would not want to cover Megadeth?
Old 12-21-2008, 11:55 PM   #48
Deadmanwalking_05

MCR,Blink-182,Green Day,The micky Mouse Club that fucked up on "Fuel",Her (I mean HIM),Linkin' Park,Limp Bizkit,any boy/girl band....I can go on.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:31 AM   #49
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05
/girl band....I can go on.
You don't The Crystals covering Megadeath? You bastard.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:38 AM   #50
Deadmanwalking_05

I meant the backstreet bitches or N-Suck.