Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
Lord Whiskerton

Question Anyone have ideas for a Victorian themed party?

I am planning to throw a Victorian era themed party somewhere in the near future. So far I am planning to have it held in a ballroom at an elegant hotel. It would be a bit difficult for most of the guests to find Victorian era clothes so I decided that they can wear formal apparel, but must wear accessories that would help with the theme like white gloves and fancy hats for example.

Anyone got ideas for dress code, decorations, etc.?

(Also it is sort of a mix of Victorian, Baroque, Rococo,and Edwardian eras)
Lord Whiskerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
Miss Ambient Cloud-Waters

For the dress code I would say any neutral colors would be ok. I would discurage really bright colors such as pink or bright yellow. I would also discurage a materal that would make the cloths appear shiny or glittery. Other than that I think you already have the bases for the dress code.

For basic decorations I would just get some nice floral and candle centerpieces. And if you can, have the food served on Victorian print platters. They don't need to be elaborate.

But all in all, it really depends on how much money you want to pump in to a party like this.
Miss Ambient Cloud-Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

Get your darkest skinned friend to be the butler.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
Motherfucker stole my funny.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:47 AM   #5
Still Jack

As a party game, dig a big hole in the garden and force the children to go and find coal in it for a tiny little bit of cake. =D
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:59 AM   #6
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
As a party game, dig a big hole in the garden and force the children to go and find coal in it for a tiny little bit of cake. =D
I can think of multiple occasions to do this.
And I could probably make up a good few more for convenience.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
Saya

Just sit around and be bored as fuck. I'm pretty sure that was the Victorian thing to do. Oh sure, have your dance but then it goes back to sitting around trying to make pleasant conversation about marriage prospects and politics, but eventually you're gonna get up and beat that butler for some petty reason while everyone else pretends to ignore, but secretly they wish they thought of that.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
HavelockV

It sounds like you are planning on this being quite the glittering affair, my whiskered friend.

A previous respondant mentioned limiting the color palette to neutrals, but as someone who is something of an aficionado of Victorian fashion, I find this advice to be restrictive. Victorian women wore gowns featuring a wide spectrum of colors, not merely drab blacks, browns, grays and sombre tones. Even gentlemen of the time might have added a splash of color in the form of silk or satin waistcoats, sometimes with brocade, embroidered embellishment and ornate buttons. I might suggest avoiding only the most acid of hues, such as neons.

The other ideas you mentioned in your original post seem to be suitable for the atmosphere you are looking to cultivate. I do hope for your sake, however, that those you intend to invite to this old-fashioned soiree will not be put-off by your stylistic requirements.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Dont make it TOO authentic though, like for example no using lead face powder.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
Lolly PopMuzik

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news...-gentleman.php

Eh, just send this to your male party guests and you should be solid.

And if all else fails, again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Just sit around and be bored as fuck. I'm pretty sure that was the Victorian thing to do. Oh sure, have your dance but then it goes back to sitting around trying to make pleasant conversation about marriage prospects and politics, but eventually you're gonna get up and beat that butler for some petty reason while everyone else pretends to ignore, but secretly they wish they thought of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
Old 07-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
voodoowitchdr

Try one of those sherlock holmes dinner party games, but don't tell anyone that it is happening...
voodoowitchdr is offline   Reply With Quote