Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 03-31-2011, 10:38 AM   #26
Nightwalker39

If you say so.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #27
Alan

You gave me an infraction for that? God damn you, you fucking little pussy.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #28
ssj_goku

itts okay Alan. I tuk care of it.

I am hard but fair.

Nightwanker. Stop abusing infractions. u have been warned about this...
Old 03-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #29
ape descendant

*grabs some popcorn*

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:30 PM   #30
Judas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Quoting what the law of gravity is doesn't prove that it is always true, dipshit.
Nice attempt to back-peddle. It proves that it is law, contrary to your claim that "We don't know for certain one way or another that gravity is a law."

Quote:
That's a point-zero claim. If I had said "Believing Santa Claus exists is bullshit" would you have bitched back at me by saying "Prove he doesn't!" ?
Are you that much of an idiot?
Millions of people have had paranormal experiences. No one has had an experience with the "real" Santa Clause. Comparing apples to oranges doesn't somehow absolve you of the burden of proof.
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #31
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
Nice attempt to back-peddle. It proves that it is law, contrary to your claim that "We don't know for certain one way or another that gravity is a law."
Don't use words if you don't know what they mean. There's no backpedalling anywhere.
I could quote you the Iron Law of Wages. Just because I can quote it does not mean it's fucking true. you seriously believe just because you define something it makes it real?
The most paramount principle of science is that EVERYTHING MUST BE FALSIFIABLE, so shut the fuck up.

Quote:
Millions of people have had paranormal experiences. No one has had an experience with the "real" Santa Clause.
I bet I can find you people who will say they have experienced the real santa claus.
And what about people who have felt the Christian god? what about people who have spoken with Mohammed? What about people who are the reincarnation of a Bodhisattva and millions testify it?
What about leprechauns and the loch ness monster and big foot?
Millions of so-called experiences. It still means jack shit.
real classy
Old 03-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #32
Judas

Is this how you get out of backing up claims? By going to lengths to convolute the discussion in an attempt to bury the original claim? That's a rather pathetic tactic. Either back up your claim, or fuck off.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #33
ape descendant

Quote:

The problem with most of that evidence is that it's not independently verifiable. In other words, it's virtually unheard of that more than one person will go to a place and catch independent pictures/videos/EVPs of the same entity.
Hhhmmmm, so this "evidence" of which you speak, isn't independently verifiable.... people get inconsistent results from testing? *scratches chin*

Doesn't sound like very good evidence to me.

What I want to know, is how people "know" that ghosts are the "spirits of the dead". What is a spirit anyway?

Be Kind
Old 03-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #34
ape descendant

Quote:
Is this how you get out of backing up claims? By going to lengths to convolute the discussion in an attempt to bury the original claim? That's a rather pathetic tactic. Either back up your claim, or fuck off.
As much as I hate to double post, I must.

The burden of proof lies upon the one making the positive claim. Example: Ghosts are real and are the spirits of the dead.

If one has a negative stance on the issue, there isn't a burden of proof, even if their stance is stated in such a way to make it seem like a positive.

One cannot generate positive proof of a negative.

Be Kind
Old 03-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #35
Alan

I don't think he'll ever understand that, or if he does, I don't think he'll ever admit being wrong.
real classy
Old 03-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #36
Nightwalker39

Quote:
I don't think he'll ever understand that, or if he does, I don't think he'll ever admit being wrong.
I think that your just angry because you think that you always have to be right or there is no point in the discussion.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #37
Alan

People that are smart enough to have a real argument with me know that's not true.
Don't blame me if you're a gullible idiot.
real classy
Old 04-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #38
Nightwalker39

Quote:
People that are smart enough to have a real argument with me know that's not true.
Don't blame me if you're a gullible idiot.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #39
Judas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
Hhhmmmm, so this "evidence" of which you speak, isn't independently verifiable.... people get inconsistent results from testing? *scratches chin*

Doesn't sound like very good evidence to me.

What I want to know, is how people "know" that ghosts are the "spirits of the dead". What is a spirit anyway?
That's why it's merely evidence, and not proof. I also never said that the evidence is particularly strong.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #40
Judas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
As much as I hate to double post, I must.

The burden of proof lies upon the one making the positive claim. Example: Ghosts are real and are the spirits of the dead.

If one has a negative stance on the issue, there isn't a burden of proof, even if their stance is stated in such a way to make it seem like a positive.

One cannot generate positive proof of a negative.
The burden of proof lies on the one making the claim, period. Should an atheist walk up to a Christian and claim, "There is no god," the burden of proof lies upon the atheist for making the claim. In such a case, much like the debate in this topic, it's matter of belief. I've admitted that I have only a belief, and that I may be wrong. Alan, on the other hand, claims that he' IS correct, rather than merely believing he is. It is therefore up to him to prove it. Were he to admit that his belief that there is nothing paranormal is just that, a belief, there would be no argument.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #41
Alan

Jesus, every logician in the world wants to cockslap you right now.
real classy
Old 04-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #42
ape descendant

Be Kind
Old 04-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #43
Judas

Cute image. It portrays Alans contributions to the topic quite accurately.

In any case, would you recommend a site that details the rules of debate for comparison to this little argument?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #44
ape descendant

It IS cute, isn't it? Almost as cute as a silly person trolling Alan. Almost.

Be Kind
Old 04-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #45
Judas

So, you can't recommend a site?

And Alan's that easily trolled?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #46
Nightwalker39

You expect more from trolls themselves?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #47
Judas

I don't see where you'd get the plural from. Indeed, I wouldn't even call Alan a troll in spite of his inability to back up his claims and his penchant for juvenile, unoriginal, and over-all feeble attempts at being insulting.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #48
Nightwalker39

Unoriginal indeed.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #49
Alan

Quote:
Indeed, I wouldn't even call Alan a troll in spite of his inability to back up his claims
I will do so when you teach me how do you disprove a negative. Four years of logic and I have never heard of this wondrous artifact.

TEACH ME OH WIZARD HOW TO DISPROVE A NEGATIVE!

How do I point out positive evidence that something does not exist?
How do I positively prove that the were no WMDs in Iraq? I can't just say that there was no evidence, no that's not good enough for you. Should I point at all WMDs in existence and mention how none of them are in Iraq? But wouldn't they just say those are not all WMDs and one of them is in Iraq? That's where you come in with your positive evidence of a negative! You kick ass.

Should I positively prove to you that the paranormal does not exist? How do I do that? It's not enough to prove that all arguments of the paranormal are bullshit and can more easily be explained b NORMAL phenomena.
NO!
I gotta bring you a ghost and point to it and prove it does not exist.
Oh wait...

Oh, by the way, I know you fucking took 150 dollars from me. GIVE THEM BACK!
I know you have them. Prove me otherwise. You don't have them on your wallet? Well you must have lost them. Give me evidence that you don't have my 150 dollars.

Not that you're going to understand any of this, but for everyone else there won't be any question about your glaring stupidity.
real classy
Old 04-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #50
Judas

Four years of logic, and your first response in this topic is a logical fallacy. Yeah, that's real impressive.