Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #26
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
I mean, if I still lived there I would raise HOLY HELL at not only the service but the PRICES! In the EU airfare is subsidised by the government, then again, it is also in America. Yet prices could not be more different. I can fly to pretty much anywhere in Europe for under €50. In America flying a short 45 minute trip costs at least double that, sometimes more.
Um...what? I regularly find tickets from Newport News and Norfolk to BWI for $39 (which works for me as it would cost me about the same in gas to get there and would take longer) and I can't remember the last time that I spent more than 15 minutes waiting in the plane, which I am perfectly okay with as I am usually one of the first people on so it makes sense that it would take 10-15 minutes for everyone to be able to get on and get situated. It isn't normal to have to wait more than that (and certainly less that that after the last person boards the plane), if you are regularly having that problem then perhaps you should think about using a different airline.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #27
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Um...what? I regularly find tickets from Newport News and Norfolk to BWI for $39 (which works for me as it would cost me about the same in gas to get there and would take longer) and I can't remember the last time that I spent more than 15 minutes waiting in the plane, which I am perfectly okay with as I am usually one of the first people on so it makes sense that it would take 10-15 minutes for everyone to be able to get on and get situated. It isn't normal to have to wait more than that (and certainly less that that after the last person boards the plane), if you are regularly having that problem then perhaps you should think about using a different airline.
I don't have that problem, as I am in Europe where we never had the issue with security.

It's the lads above you want to speak with, they are the ones saying they have experienced long wait times and are just dandy with it.

Thats not much of a flight considering you can drive it in about an hour. The real question is how much to fly from Norfolk to say NYC or Chicago?

If you were in Europe, THOSE flights would be about $39 or less.

Ryanair offers amazing deals here - I can fly from Ireland to the UK for under $10. You just don't find that in America.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #28
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Thats why flying in America sucks. You guys do know that all of that security shit is only in America? Also all of those cases where people are left on runways for like eight hours? Only in America.
There you go Sternn, proving your idiocy again. Talking like we Americans take waiting on the runway for eight hours (which, again, you wanker, is not the same as the 30 minutes you UNREASONABLY bitched about) by lying down and asking for moar.

Only, wait! We don't. There was a lawsuit. Regulations were passed. And if a fucking airline in America keeps you on the tarmac for eight hours, there are stiff penalties and they pay the passengers a huge fine/compensation. Which the airlines are bending over backwards to avoid.

So the next time you want to make up one of your extremely over-exaggerated examples to bolster your argument (as is your favorite debate tactic - I don't believe you can have a dispute with someone without using a disproportionately exaggerated example in every one of your posts - i.e. 3 hour pizza delivery), make sure it's something that could really happen.

I'm not even dealing with the rest of your comments ... it's all just more of the same, Mr. Unreasonably-Without-Reason McUnreasonPants!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #29
Solumina

Quote:
Thats not much of a flight considering you can drive it in about an hour.
When was the last time you made that trip? Even for someone who only takes the speed limit as a suggestion that is at least a three hour trip, it usually takes about three and a half hours, and can take far more if there is any traffic, which there frequently is at multiple points along the way. I wouldn't really know about airfare to other places as I don't frequently fly to other places and I really don't care about this enough to go searching for rates.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #30
Ben Lahnger

Solumina, it's okay ... HE'S UNREASONABLE.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 06-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #31
CptSternn

@Ben

Suggesting I get the service I pay for is unreasonable? Thats the reason they had to force the above mentioned regulations on the airline industry, because people there were not doing enough on their own to warrant change in the industry.

Here in the EU we have laws even more comprehensive and penalising to business than your passengers bill of rights. The fact ye still don't says it all.

http://www.aviationreg.ie/Air_Passen...efault.83.html

I am not being unreasonable if I am demanding what is written in the rights which I get as a citizen in the EU.

@Solumina

In the EU we have subsidised air travel, but at a smaller percent than America, but laws here state a certain percentage has to go straight to the consumer. Thats where the issue comes in. In America if you remember after 9/11 the US government gave the airline industry billions to help them and what did they do? Gave all the top execs raises and sacked a large chunk of the workforce. To this day they still take the tax payers money they get and give themselves bonuses. IF I lived there I would raise hell about this as well.

Why? Because of this -

http://www.ryanair.com/en

http://www.aerlingus.com/home/index.jsp

The fact in the EU you can fly to pretty much any other country for between €5 - €30 says it all.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #32
Versus

Gosh, Europe does sound like such a nice place. I wonder why it came up, though? From my understanding: You're upset that youtube has so many adds, everyone is telling you that it's not a big deal, and your reasoning for everyone saying that is because we're American, and therefor acustomed to accepting poor services?

What I'm confused about is the "why." So go ahead and finish your thought, Stern: Do Americans provide poor services, or does Europe provide superior services?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #33
Ben Lahnger

Sternn, as an unreasonable person would, you avoided responding to the deadly accurate points Solumina and I made about your previous responses. It's your second favorite argument tactic, right after using unreasonably exaggerated analogies: refusing to respond when people prove you wrong and deflecting the focus.

Anyway, you buggerer-of-reason, these tactics, as well as the highly illogical statements you make, are why I have you on ignore and don't normally peek at your responses. So prattle on about your unfathomable impatience with 30 seconds of the occasional ad or 30 minutes of airplane delay.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #34
Saya

I just looked up an Amanda Palmer video and it made me wait FIVE SECONDS before it let me skip the ad! It was horrible!

Then I turned on the tv and there was a whole TWO MINUTES of commercials before my program started! I'm paying good money for cable!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:41 AM   #35
CptSternn

I have Sky+ - it's like Tivo. I record everything in advance and skip through the ads.

My time is valuable, I don't like wasting it or having it wasted, but it appears I am the only one with that mentality here.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #36
Saya

Yeah, in that five seconds I could have cured cancer, goddammit!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:25 AM   #37
MissCheyenne

Quote:
I have Sky+ - it's like Tivo. I record everything in advance and skip through the ads.

My time is valuable, I don't like wasting it or having it wasted, but it appears I am the only one with that mentality here.
MY time is valuable, everyone elses time is valuable and it doesn't make you, me or anyone else special.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #38
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
And here's what's wrong with that. The television programs you are watching are paid for by the advertisers, who measure how many people see their ads as a determiner of whether they should keep advertising that way or not. All advertisers watch a show to see what kind of ratings it gets, as a way of knowing whether they want to advertise on it or not. When you watch a show on DVR or Tivo, it doesn't count in the ratings - the television networks and advertisers know you are skipping through the commercials. If you're not watching the commercials, why would the advertiser pay to support your viewing of the show.

Now some ratings models are being developed that give a lesser credit (a partial viewer) to a DVR/Tivo user who watches a show within 3 days of it's airing. But I understand why an advertiser wouldn't be satisfied with that. You're SKIPPING THEIR COMMERCIALS!

And so far, I have been a fan of at least two shows that were cancelled that might have stayed on the air if the Tivo/DVR viewers were counted in the ratings. But it makes perfect sense to me that they are not.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #39
AlexMcDermott

Angry

Quote:
The day they started letting users put 30 second adverts at the start of videos I knew that YouTube would suck. I was able to deal with it though. The problem is now pretty much everyone put them there and anything you are looking for, from a game trailer, movie trailer, or a help in a game these days requires you watch a 30 second ad.

To watch 10 seconds of a game to see where I am stuck I now have to watch 30 seconds of unrelated ads.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I found it could. I spend 10 minutes today watching 30 second ads trying to see a new movie trailer. Turns out, every one of them was bogus. Just a music clip with colours and stuff saying that the trailer is available on some pay website I need to subscribe to in China, like I am going to give them my credit card details, but you don't get that info until after you click on the clip name and of course watch the 30 second clip.

What a load of shite.
I HATE it now!! Ads every single time I try to watch anything. I hate people trying to sell me stuff ALL the time.
AlexMcDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #40
Catch

Whatever. Ads are like videos.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:54 AM   #41
Judas

Quote:
I'm not talking about the little ones that slide up while you are watching, I am talking about a full 30 second intro video that you can't skip through that opens when you view the clip.
Oh, no, not 30 FUCKING seconds!

Quit your bitching. It takes longer to pour yourself a stiff drink. Unless, of course, you're too impatient to deal with a glass.
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:09 AM   #42
Ami

For someone who doesn't like wasting his time, you sure are spending a lot of time complaining to people who (for the most part) don't care. Am I the only one who thinks that is a waste of time?
Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:27 AM   #43
Judas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami View Post
For someone who doesn't like wasting his time, you sure are spending a lot of time complaining to people who (for the most part) don't care. Am I the only one who thinks that is a waste of time?

Depends on whether or not you've seen his political threads.
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #44
Ben Lahnger

Yeah, this is but a brief pause for air in between the staggeringly long-winded rants he posts elsewhere on this site about American politics. In fact, if he spends half his time IRL bitching about the United States that he does here, I'd wager he has no social life at all.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #45
Ami

I'll take your guys' word for it, I don't find politics that interesting. (And if this isn't nearly as bad as the political threads, I'm glad I don't find politics that interesting)
Old 06-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #46
CptSternn

First, if ye haven't noticed this is the WHINING FORUM. Then again, whining about whining in the whining forum is pretty appropriate.

Second Ben, that is a wager you would lose my friend!

http://www.yelp.ie/user_details?user...7iRXA8KZDZMO0A
Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 AM   #47
Ami

And, if you can't read: I asked a question. (Which you haven't answered by the way)
Old 06-17-2011, 04:38 AM   #48
Apathy's_Child

I'd totally take Sternn for a beer. He strikes me as an amiable and well-meaning guy, with some deeply illogical and downright blinkered opinions; and such people are generally WAY easier to deal with in Meatspace, where the sucker-punch comes surrounded by broken glass rather than *onlineactionstars*. Also, on here, you can't even make sure someone's looking at you rather than idly tryna lick their own nipples (the IRL equivalent of entering selective response-mode & straight up ignoring huge walls of text) when you're talking to them.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:53 AM   #49
Ben Lahnger

Yes, you did ask a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that is a waste of time?
I'm sure if you take a poll, people would say most things they do here are a waste of time. That's what we do: come by in our idle minutes and waste a little time with mindless entertainment until the next "important thing" comes along IRL.

So, no.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-17-2011, 04:59 AM   #50
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
... Ben, that is a wager you would lose my friend!

http://www.yelp.ie/user_details?user...7iRXA8KZDZMO0A
Sternn, I stand corrected, although I wouldn't prize a visit to McDonald's too highly as a social "event". But it was a sucker bet in the first place - of course you have a social life. You've even written about it on occasion here.

By the way, when you're in Ireland, does calling a place an "Irish sandwhich shop" make it better? Because I've never been lured by any restaurant here that brags about it's American fare? I'm sure there's a reasonable answer having to do with tradition and history, so I'm looking forward to your answer.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,