Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #1
CptSternn

YouTube Officially Sucks

The day they started letting users put 30 second adverts at the start of videos I knew that YouTube would suck. I was able to deal with it though. The problem is now pretty much everyone put them there and anything you are looking for, from a game trailer, movie trailer, or a help in a game these days requires you watch a 30 second ad.

To watch 10 seconds of a game to see where I am stuck I now have to watch 30 seconds of unrelated ads.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, I found it could. I spend 10 minutes today watching 30 second ads trying to see a new movie trailer. Turns out, every one of them was bogus. Just a music clip with colours and stuff saying that the trailer is available on some pay website I need to subscribe to in China, like I am going to give them my credit card details, but you don't get that info until after you click on the clip name and of course watch the 30 second clip.

What a load of shite.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Even youtube videos of commercials have commercials.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Back in 1990 and 1991 me and my colleagues tried to stop the commercialization of the internet. We said it was Bad. We said it would bring Dangerous Neophytes. We said we would lose the Golden Age of The Internet. But did they listen to us? Noooooo, they had to start letting companies putting up advertising websites. News groups began to atrophy, or worse, fill up with garbage and flame wars. Knowledge began to be mixed with hearsay. We told them this would happen. We told them but they didn't listen. Bastards.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Still Jack

What pisses me off the most is when the ad works flawlessly, but the video you actually went there to watch, won't buffer or has been removed...
Old 05-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
Catch

I LovE All of the COMMercialS BeCauSe they ARE AWESOME!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
Versus

Quote:
GOD, all I want to do is have unlimited access to an entire world of information, entertainment, and ideas, but now it's ridiculous that I have to wait 30 FUCKING seconds! What the shit am I supposed to do while I wait?
You complain about airplanes sitting on the runway for 30 minutes too, don't you?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
CptSternn

30 seconds is a long time to wait when yer searching for something on the internet. Take out a stop watch and time 30 seconds right now.

Now try imaging having to wait 30 second in between each search on Google when looking for something. Each time you think you find it, turns out it was bogus and you have to wait and search again. Something that should be instantaneous now takes 10 minutes.

And yes, if I am left on a plane for 30 minutes I raise hell. If I am paying a few hundred quid for a service, it should be delivered as promised, not done half-arsed. My time is valuable, I charge a pretty penny for my services by the hour and take my time seriously. People will only value your time if you, yourself value it.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
Versus

You don't think it's a little silly, man? The internet is fucking awesome. I used to wait several minutes while my computer screeched at me just to start it, and I was still happy then. I didn't even mind that I couldn't talk on the phone while bullshitting on my computer because it's the fucking internet.

Maybe this will put everything into perspective. The comedian jokes about all these wonderful things that we have, and people are still unsatisfied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
You don't think it's a little silly, man? The internet is fucking awesome. I used to wait several minutes while my computer screeched at me just to start it, and I was still happy then. I didn't even mind that I couldn't talk on the phone while bullshitting on my computer because it's the fucking internet.

Maybe this will put everything into perspective. The comedian jokes about all these wonderful things that we have, and people are still unsatisfied.

You know, when I was watching that this annoying little add kept popping up. Then I found this magic 'x' that made it disappear!

I think it's so amazing that in our lives we have phones that have the capability to be cameras, take video, browse the web; they're tiny computers, really. And people bitch about a few inconvenient things with this awesome technology? I'm just amazed that we've gone from having gigantic boxes called 'cellular phones' in the 80s to tiny pocket computers that have the capability to also be a phone. Pretty fucking cool.

Adds may suck, but Youtube still rocks.
Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #10
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post

Times have changed sure. We no longer use 300 baud modems to connect to other people via BBS. I pay good money for a 24 meg connection. I can download a full movie in under two minutes. I have six computers, all of which have at least two processors and three gigs of RAM. I am never left waiting for anything, then again, it is the nature of my business.

Sure we may appear spoiled to people who grew up with less a generation ago, but I am one of those people and in todays world with the technology we have available to us no one should have to wait for certain things anymore.

Also, Louis C.K. is funny as feck sure.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
erotomaniac87

I believe they give you the option to skip them now. I don't mind them that much.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
Catch

Yah, my popup blocker is on all-of-the-time.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
Ben Lahnger

Nobody in this thread (or on this site) should be expecting Sternn to become a reasonable human being anytime soon.

Fucking bitching because you have to sit in a plane for 30 minutes?!? I don't have a problem with 30 minutes (or more) because these people are tasked with the complicated matter of guaranteeing my safety and that of all the other airborne passengers. It's not about how much I paid or about getting a service. It's allowing that they just might need a little more time from time to time due to unexpected circumstances.

Because if you think they hold you up for 30 minutes because they're missing the sweet symphony of your bitching, you have completely lost your grip. That's the definition of unreasonable, you idiot.

As for waiting for anything on the internet, I remember using a 300k modem. Everything is wireless and light-speed now, even with the ads. How the fuck are they supposed to pay for putting that shit up and maybe increasing value for the stockholders? And there are very simple ways to avoid the ads if you really feel put out. Unreasonable wanker!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #14
Catch

Should I be responsible?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #15
CptSternn

You can't block or skip through the video ads which precede the clips on some YouTube videos. I'm not talking about the little ones that slide up while you are watching, I am talking about a full 30 second intro video that you can't skip through that opens when you view the clip.

Per the airplanes and 300 BPS modems - I used to run a BBS back in the day sure. But that was then, this is now. If I connected to the Internet today at a 300 BPS speed and was being charged the same as I was for my 24 meg connection, I would be irked. Just like if I book a flight in todays world and am forced to wait.

Just because we remember how things were does not mean we should accept those standards today. If you ordered a pizza from Dominos and it showed up two hours later, would you just laugh it off and say you remember the days when pizza took three hours to get to your home?

If you let companies slide on poor performance, they will continue to give shoddy service. Attempting to rationalise their poor performance based on standards set over a decade ago is not helping anyone.

I'm not talking about giving a crappy tip to a member of the wait staff for having a bad day, I am talking about spending upwards of $1,000 on transportation - thats more than the cost of a new flat screen 3D telly, used small car, or a couple laptops. Once you get into numbers that large a certain amount of responsibility is required from the provider of said services. In todays day and age with instant access to information these companies have no excuse, especially when you look at their bottom line and the money they are bringing in.

Or maybe it's just after getting to the airport 3 hours early to go through six queues, wait for all of that time just standing in security line after security line, having to remove my shoes, socks, belt, jacket, and hat then having to pay €45 to check each bag in, which they weigh and tell me it will cost another €15 because I am .05 ounces over the small bag limit, then get put on a plane where we sit, and sit, and are told we have to wait longer after being herded on there like cattle and being charged excessively for the opportunity that I have no real patiences for any more incompetence from a company that is making billions a year off this very practice.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:32 AM   #16
Geoluhread

.... I didn't know there were those ads, except at the bottom of the video the ones you can close but the video still runs...
For some reason i just don't get them.
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #17
Solumina

I haven't ever had those ads either.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #18
honeythorn

Me neither, this is the first I've heard of them .
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
Saya

You guys haven't gotten the one for the Mormon church?

Lucky.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #20
Catch

I love YouTube and everything about YouTube.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #21
Ben Lahnger

Yep, Sternn, you are still unreasonable, only now even more so. As if a Domino's pizza being 2 hours late is the same thing as being held up on a plane for 30 minutes. (And when did pizza ever take 3 hours to get to your home? WHAT?!? Did the Pony Express do pizza deliveries at some point that I'm unaware of?)

Incredibly unreasonable WANKER!!! Only now, you also appear to be a foolish bitch.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #22
MissCheyenne

So what if there's a whole 30 fucking seconds of ad before you view a clip. A CLIP YOU GET TO VIEW FOR FREE. I could maybe understand if youtube was a service you actually had to pay for but you don't. A shitty little advert that lasts all of 30 seconds is a small price to pay for the countless hours of entertainment that youtube provides.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #23
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Yep, Sternn, you are still unreasonable, only now even more so. As if a Domino's pizza being 2 hours late is the same thing as being held up on a plane for 30 minutes. (And when did pizza ever take 3 hours to get to your home? WHAT?!? Did the Pony Express do pizza deliveries at some point that I'm unaware of?)

Incredibly unreasonable WANKER!!! Only now, you also appear to be a foolish bitch.
Thats why flying in America sucks. You guys do know that all of that security shit is only in America? Also all of those cases where people are left on runways for like eight hours? Only in America.

Why?

Because Americans take that shit. You are taught that companies are right, consumers are somehow wrong and more to date have been told it is all because of safety. They wave a Muslim bogeyman around and everyone there if fine with being late to appointments when they fly, sitting in a piss filled plane for hours on end, and getting fondled by people who couldn't get a job at burger king.

The rest of the world though, doesn't put up with such poor service from the industry. Just because ye have come to expect it doesn't make it right.

I mean, if I still lived there I would raise HOLY HELL at not only the service but the PRICES! In the EU airfare is subsidised by the government, then again, it is also in America. Yet prices could not be more different. I can fly to pretty much anywhere in Europe for under €50. In America flying a short 45 minute trip costs at least double that, sometimes more.

And then you get piss poor service and all that other crap. We don't live in fear here, so we are not forced to accept shoddy service. We also stand up to corporations, so our travel costs less.

Fight the power.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #24
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
So what if there's a whole 30 fucking seconds of ad before you view a clip. A CLIP YOU GET TO VIEW FOR FREE. I could maybe understand if youtube was a service you actually had to pay for but you don't. A shitty little advert that lasts all of 30 seconds is a small price to pay for the countless hours of entertainment that youtube provides.
When I get stuck in a video game I Google a video walkthru of the specific spot. You used to be able to go right to YouTube and watch a clip of how someone else did it and use it as a guide.

These days almost half of the clips are fake. They might be labeled as CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS LEVEL 7 - MOUNTAIN PASS - but when you click on it a feckin ad pops up. The clip I want to see is under 10 seconds, it is just supposed to be a quick clip of a troubled spot, but now I have to sit through 30 seconds of Pepsi ads waiting for my clip as I sit with my XBox paused. When I do get through it, it's not a game walkthru at all, but text on the screen that says 'VISIT WWW.FREESPACE.RU/COD FOR GAME WALKTHRU VIDEOS'.

Not only did I waste 30 seconds, I got nothing for it. A quick search produces four or five more of the same. No video clips, just mislabeled clips pointing me to other websites with 30 seconds of ads at the front.

The new thing now is posting bogus game clips from like E3 and other game conferences. Clips claiming to be the new scenes from some upcoming game that was just debuted, yet when you open it you get a 30 second ad and then text telling you to visit some site, which if you do asks for your personal details to setup an account.

I stand by my previous complaints.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #25
Catch

Watch my channel!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/naomie76