Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
tug07166

Need Help with a Research Project!

Doing a research project on the Goth subculture and would love to get some info. from real Goths!
tug07166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug07166 View Post
Doing a research project on the Goth subculture and would love to get some info. from real Goths!
Well you seem to be in the right place but please give us more info, state your intentions as it were. I for one am all for 'research' as long as it is used for scientific ends. If you are connected to some religious group on the other hand, count me out.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
tug07166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
Well you seem to be in the right place but please give us more info, state your intentions as it were. I for one am all for 'research' as long as it is used for scientific ends. If you are connected to some religious group on the other hand, count me out.
Thanks so much for replying! I go to a college in Philly with no religious affiliation. It is for a cultures class that requires field work.

1. In what way does being in a Goth subculture reject cultural norms?
2. How do the rituals and practices of the subculture help to shape the identity of the subculture?
3. Stereotypes of the subculture, and how do you feel about them?
4. When and why did you join the subculture? Will you be in it for life?
5.Activities of the subculture?
6. Stigma management of the subculture

Thanks again for your help!!!
Old 11-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #4
tug07166

and any info. about the subculture around the world!!!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:51 AM   #5
Molster

lol, I don't even understand the questions....
Molster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:34 AM   #6
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tug07166 View Post
Thanks so much for replying! I go to a college in Philly with no religious affiliation. It is for a cultures class that requires field work.

Thanks again for your help!!!

2. How do the rituals and practices of the subculture help to shape the identity of the subculture?

Please understand that all my answers are strictly my own opinion and may not reflect the beliefs and opinions of others.

1. I do not reject cultural norms. I choose to live within a secular, western, suburban, democratic society and I am perfectly happy coexisting with any and all people and obeying the laws of my society. I want to be part of a community while I expect and hope that my community accepts me for who I am.

2. Goth, as a subculture has no practises or rituals. It is not a religion, it has no dogma, it is not a philosophy, or a political creed. It is simply a mind set, an aesthetic movement and has more in common with the art and literary movements of the past than with religions or political systems. Above all it is not a 'cult'. If it has an identity as a subculture then it is in the common sensitivity and artistic interests of its adherents. We are drawn to dark beauty in the same way that the Romantic poets were and to a bygone age of refinement and elegance as the Pre-Raphaelites were.

3, I don't think you can define someone as a stereotypical Goth anymore than you can define someone as a stereotypical Italian, African American or Jew. The non-goth public might point to someone as being a stereotype but that is a superficial and ultimately false judgement.

4. I never actually joined the subculture. I've always felt an affinity for most things goth but personally, It took me until I was an adult (16-18 years old) to feel confident enough to begin expressing my gothness and that was through my art and poetry. I will be goth until the day I die and hopefully afterwards too.

5, Personally I dress in black most days, I wear symbolic silver jewelry, I draw and write poetry. I listen to opera and classical music and I'm deeply interested in ancient art and history, antiques and anything bizarre. I do associate with other goths but mainly through the internet and sites like this one. I'm the only goth among my close, long term friends and I guess I like it that way.

6. In the society/community in which I live and work I don't feel stygmatised. In fact I feel empowered by my gothness. If I feel someone is uncomfortable around me for whatever reason, I generally win them over with my natural courtesy, politeness and charm. I believe in the old world ethos of gentlemanly behaviour, dignity, honour, honesty and respect for all.

I hope this will help you, Kindest Regards from Stormbringer.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #7
Anise

Hi Tug & good luck with your research

I'll give this a whirl, forgive me if I go off in tangents lol ..

I'm unsure as to whether it actually does .. but .. I suppose my penchant for black is perhaps an eyebrow raiser to some? Clothing, self-expression is any individuals right I feel. I don't judge any other for their choices, it seems ok to throw 'hysterical' quips my way .. 'Halloween is over' etc ..

So perhaps we DO reject, albeit I feel unintentionally? I personally feel comfortable in black clothing for example; I don't dress in black Victorian style garb to stand out nor to offend society lol, but rather because I like it!

Wait .. what!? There's rituals? o.O

I don't like the term 'goth' .. if I'm honest, I find it degrading? It's often offered with a sneer of ridicule or the implication is such. Also, I so often find that society likes to point fingers and label .. people like to characterize and box things up, instead of just permitting things to exist. If it makes dickheads feel better to shout "Wednesday" at me in the street, I can only surmise that they are deficient; perhaps not hugged enough as children? I'm glad to have brought them a shrapnel of happiness. I feel that in general society considers Gothic behaviours to be an act of teenage rebellion? I'm 40, obviously I'm a rebel without a clue lol Lastly .. the devil worshiping insinuations. I'm vegan, and try to care for and respect the planet I dwell upon; so no animal sacrifices ~~

I don't believe I'm actually IN a subculture? I'm me, I can only be me and I'll be me for life. I'm aware that those akin to myself perhaps socialize within circles. I don't. I live in a tiny speck of a village by the sea, there are few people around and pretty much that's how I like it I began expressing myself this way at 14.

Well to be blunt white water rafting is a curse in crinoline! I should imagine those of my nature would be like me? Reading, creative pursuits .. I enjoy photography and dressmaking. I don't know for certain, but imagine that other Gothic natured folk are like myself? Solo activities are foremost? I do volunteer with a cosplay group, raising funds for sick and terminally ill children .. but the whole 'people' interaction thing is preferably in small doses.

Stigmatization is a human illness. Those who stigmatize are to be pitied.

Tug, I hope your project is successful. If you're studying social sciences it may be fortuitous to consider if those who express Gothic culture hail from backgrounds that have experienced certain hardships or abuse? I've found that many 'like me' have certain commonalities. The 'once bitten, twice shy' aspect.
There's only so many times that an individual can experience the negative aspects .. sinking into the comfort of blackness is preferable to attempting to trust again .. just a thought of course. It may or may not be causative?

Wish you well, anything else you need just holler (x)
Anise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:16 AM   #8
Anise

Hey, s'meee again

Was thinking that maybe some of this lil' chicks vid categories might be a help?
Hahaa obviously not the make up tutorials etc, but some of the bloggy vloggy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/xT0xicT3ars

Also there's a few good Gothic pages on FB, again might be helpful?
Anise is offline   Reply With Quote