Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
BLEED REBELION!!!

Your culture and home <3

When I say culture I dont mean sub culture. I mean more along the lines of; locational, racial, national, etc.

I would like to know what your fave thing about your home and culture are? What are the things you miss when you leave. Lets get nostalgic!
I'd like to compare all of our different cultures and how they are similar. How people relate to eachother in different places.

I’m from Hawai'i and I miss my home every single second of the day. I cant wait to go back. I miss living in the “bush“, being able to see the stars, and walking a half mile to the next house. I miss being able to grow food in front of my house, and never having to lock my door. I miss sleeping on the grass and fishing off the side of cliffs.
I miss being called niece, cousin, and “lil sista.” I miss calling others cousin and auntie/uncle. I don’t like saying Mr. and Mrs.
In Hawaii you can talk to random strangers about random things and then hug them goodbye. I miss the closeness and friendliness of people in general.
I miss being bear foot all the time. I miss eating Manapua, and wild bananas. On the island of Hawaii what we call the “city” is still green and clean. (or at least it was, its getting worse every day now)
I miss the signs being in 6 different languages. I miss speaking Pidgin.
I miss going to Pohik’I (a beach area) and jumping off the dock. I miss being with people that look similar to me, even though I know most of us are total muts. In Hawaii almost all of the locals are mixed, and everyone is proud of their mix. I miss learning about Hawaiian history and language in public school. I miss watching my uncle boogie board.
I miss the feeling of being on the land your soul belongs to. Maybe that’s a weird Idea to people, but its just a natural thing to me. I feel like my soul is attached to Hawaii, that that is where I am supposed to be.
I feel like I am treated better there than I am here. I think people are allot more chill. We operate on “Aloha time” (no joke) which is much slower.

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

This thread will probably go into an argument of heritage and how it separates people.
At least I hope so; it would be pretty fun.

As for me; I'm northern mexican.
We have motherfucking burritos!
Only things not to like are corruption, machismo, and reggaeton.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:06 AM   #3
$haDe

I'm Thai.

We have .....
Mother who "Shut the FUCK UP !!! I say it and you DO IT !!!" to their child.

Put our hands together to do things that represent the pretended form of respect.

Protestors that will come out everytime that country seem too quiet and peaceful.

King that is sick and Queen that do nothing!!! but sitting on the King's throne and watching people killing each other in her very own country.

And famous tradition to pointed the finger to goth , punk , foreigner and laughing or showing how they disgusted us.... or me.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:44 AM   #4
a morbid curiosity

I'm Scottish.
The best parts are the dialect, and ballads and poetry like this and this, and writers like Irvine Welsh.
The worst part is where I live, which is utterly devoid of anything interesting. And it rains and snows and hails altogether too much.
And people are often overly paranoid about the English being out to mock us constantly.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:01 AM   #5
Cicero

I'm not too big on Australian culture. Football, beer, barbecues and racism just don't sit well with me.

Okay, perhaps the general 'caring about the environment' thing we have going on here is alright. And overall Australians have a good sense of humour, particularly the type completely devoid of political correctness or... any form of boundaries (Chaser's War on Everything, etc. The sort of comedy with legal charges filed against it).

Pavlovas and Caramello Koalas aren't bad either.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
Noirette

A lot of different cultures put together under the cover of the same tradition and religion, not that there are many religious people here. Even being not a hetro-sexual, which is forbidden in the Bible, is acceptable at most cases.
That's..intresting. You can meet a person who's parents came from Poland and his best friend's family is from Marocco, or Iraq, Russia, Japan, Ukraine and so on.
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
BLEED REBELION!!!

Jilli I didnt want to start any arguments. I was just missing home and feling nostalgic and I figured other people loved things about their home lands as I do.

- My Boyfriend
Old 10-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I miss Hawaii too Bleed. Especially Kona, The North Shore and Makaha.

I was born and raised in Southern California. The culture has become very complex:

The general culture is one of everyone placing capitalism ahead of their culture e.g. the Jews working during Yom Kippur, Mexicans working during Good Friday etc. Everyone works towards "The American Dream". This is the common thread that ties us together peacefully here in SoCal.

Young men will meet and race their modified Hondas and Nissans, young men who are from Asian, Hispanic and Caucasian backgrounds.

White boys with black girlfriends, blacks with Mexicans, Filipinos with Chinese, all kinds of couples may be seen together, and not just young, but middle aged and older too.

One can visit San Diego and become immersed in the local Asian culture, some of the best Thai, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese and Chinese restaurants I have ever been to are in San Diego!
One can go to Santa Ana or Los Angeles for local Mexican culture or Santa Clarita or West Covina for Jewish culture.

In the Irvine industrial complex, white shirts and slacks are worn by all races and ethnicities.

Even though I love Southern California the best out of all my travels so far, it is a pleasant change for me when I go to Wisconsin or Iowa, or Hawaii or the Virgin Islands, where the entire area is a monolithic culture. To be completely immersed in a pervasive tradition.

But in summary: Southern California had a predominant Mexican culture at one time, but no longer. Now it is a melting pot of everything. Kind of difficult to say there is a specific culture anymore.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
Saya

I have a love-hate relationship with Newfoundland. We're apparently known for our grand hospitality, but out around the bay in the small towns a lot of people are bigots. Here in the city its not so bad, with the university there's a huge diversity of people here, whereas out home everyone is white and the diversity is limited to whether you're Catholic or Protestant, or if you're a townie or a bayman. The main thing I miss from my home is that everything is the forest behind us and the ocean. Rural Newfoundland is absolutely gorgeous. St.John's is a harbour town too but I can't see it from my house, and anyway the St.John's harbour is NASTY, don't wanna see or smell it anyway. Its very badly polluted. I also miss how quiet it is, and also how back out home everyone knows everyone, and if you do meet someone who doesn't know you they want to know everything about you.

And you wouldn't believe how much everyone drinks. I thought I was a cheap drunk and I am by Newfie standards, but when I drink with someone who's from somewhere else, even if they are twice the size of me I can drink more than them. St.John's has George Street, that has nothing but bars upon bars upon bars, its insane how every single bar is packed every weekend. On New Years Eve and Halloween its insane how many people are there. Damn, now i wanna go drinking.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
BLEED REBELION!!!

Human Pain: I dont know much about Kona side, I only ever went there 4 or 5 times. I'm fom Hilo side (Puna district). The north shore is cool my God father used to live in Hale eva, so I got to explore it when ever I went to O'ahu.
California is cool to. I really only know Oakland and Santa Cruz. All the same, I know what you mean when you say there might not really be one specific culture any more. They all do (in many places) mix together and turn into this awesome melting pot. So then all the new kids who are born grow up with stuf from other cultures and identify it with their own. And I think that is a new culture still. I've lived in many different cultures and I love it best when its a huge mix of everything. I might end up living in Cali in a couple years if my mom gets her way, so I'll enjoy that to the fullest if it happens. I think I would maybe like to go nto Cultural Anthropology.
I dont think Hawaii has one monolithic culture. Its a mix of everything, because of all the immigration and the plantation days. Its just that everyone calls them selves Hawaiian even if they are .. say.. Philipino.

Saya: I'll go drinkinh with you!!! Body shots anyone?

Jillian:
"As for me; I'm northern mexican.
We have motherfucking burritos!
Only things not to like are corruption, machismo, and reggaeton."

I actually like some Reggaeton.... *giggls nervously*
burritos? I know theres got to be more you like than that (not that burritos arent awesome). Something unique to where you live? Anything? .........I guess modernization can kill of cultures and replace them with the crap thats in allot of places now.

- My Boyfriend
Old 10-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #11
Godslayer Jillian

Are you saying burritos are crap?
To be honest, and it's not that I'm being condescending, the fact that you're asking me if there's more and assuming just because I mentioned burritos my culture is being killed, just shows you're not from here.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #12
Catch

I guess what I miss is the comfort of knowing no one will actually do anything or say anything to me about whatever bothers them. They keep quiet and talk behind everybody's back.

It used to bother me a lot that they never talk to someone face-to-face. However, often the messages never return to the person who may actually feel differently if they knew other people's opinions. Therefore, there is no reason to do anything differently at all.

Having living out of state, that was the only difference. They did kind-of the same thing, but would talk loudly next to the person, as though having a private conversation.

There are other parts of the culture, like bland food but I don't miss that. It is the weird ideal that everyone shares in believing they and pychicly bend people to their own will.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #13
jack_the_knife

As for me, My mother is Manx and my father Scottish. I was born in Coventry, which used to be the heart of the British motor industry ( sort of like Detroit for the Americans ). The only thing that I really miss is fish and chips, and the smell of burning metal, rubber, diesel and petrol. I prefer were I live now, in whole to Coventry.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #14
Solumina

I miss almost everything about Northern Va. As polite as people are here in southern Va they just aren't as friendly, they don't actually care about you, they were just taught that it is polite to ask others about their day. I miss knowing everyone (even though there was nothing for any of us to do). I miss out gardens, especially the strawberry patch, I miss having animals that you can run around with and not have to worry about a leash or picking up their poop, I miss the birds, the deer, the foxes, and even the bear that used to live across the creek, I miss the creek itself, I miss the soft grass between my toes and the cool shade of the forest, hell I even miss the neighbors' damn cows breaking their fence and wandering into our yard. More than anything I miss the stars. Back home they sing to my soul but there they are silenced by the city lights.

Don't get me wrong, I love where I am now, there is so much more to do and I have some amazing friends but I know that I can't live here the rest of my life.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #15
Noirette

I miss Russia. It's a beautiful country. And it's far more colder there. The heat here gets out the worst side of me.
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #16
gothicusmaximus

I'm Irish and Jewish. Basically, I willingly surrender my Lucky Charms as long as I'm compensated with a pound of flesh.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #17
TheBloodEternity

My grandparents were Italians who came in on Ellis Island and my dad and uncles all had names like Guido and Vinny. My mother was Heinz 57. They were both from up north, but I was born and lived till I was 10 in inner city San Antonio. I actually kinda miss it, the community was much tighter knit and there were a lot of "artsy" people, and some really good Mexican food.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:53 AM   #18
Apathy's_Child

Irish and Italian (mostly Italian). Good whiskey, good food and bad tempers.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #19
BLEED REBELION!!!

Jilli : "Are you saying burritos are crap?
To be honest, and it's not that I'm being condescending, the fact that you're asking me if there's more and assuming just because I mentioned burritos my culture is being killed, just shows you're not from here."

NO I am not saying burritos are crap. I actually LOVE them, they are one of my fave foods ever. And when I said "I guess modernization can kill of cultures and replace them with the crap thats in allot of places now." I wast really just talking about you, it was more so a general observation of allot of places I've been. I am obviously not from northern Mexico, thats why I have to ask you about it. You took what said wrong becaue of my scatterbrained organization, I was applying things that dont neccisarly apply to you. Sorry I knwo I sounded like an ass. I was thinking a the time about how where I currently live that allot of people subscribe to a fake tv culture and have nothing unique to them.

I have no idea of whether or not you culture is being "killed". And If I were to think that, it wouldnt be because you mentioned burritos, it would because you failed to metion anything else. I was reallt just asking you to tell me more, because I am actually interested and would like to know your take on it. I generally speaking like to hear what you have to say. I know "Mexican cuture" isnt dead at least in allot of places in the USA.

Sorry, I hope this has cleared it up. In the future I will read my post before I post it.

- My Boyfriend
Old 10-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #20
shogem

Bleed: I think "Aloha time" is in most island cultures. From New Zealand to the Caribbean, all I hear about it is how laid back people are there (from outsiders). And, ooh, I know exactly how you feel regarding the land, however, my home is more familiar than soul-resonating. I feel very connected to the land in places more northwest, like northern Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia. Temperate rain forests, huge mountains, and it doesn't get hotter than 90 if you're lucky. So, so beautiful, too. I never want to leave when I visit.

My heritage is Norwegian and Italian. I'm more Norwegian, but my Italian side had more influence. I remember growing up with so much wonderful food! And our voices raise when we're having a heated discussion, but we aren't shouting. Not yet. ;] I'm getting to know my Norwegian side as I get older, so not much nostalgia there.

I grew up (and stilll live in) Northern California, in a suburb. It wasn't anything special, but I really learned to appreciate the diversity of our town. Apart from moving a little more south to the true bay area, I don't think I've ever been to a place as culturally diverse.
shogem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #21
TheBloodEternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
Irish and Italian (mostly Italian). Good whiskey, good food and bad tempers.
Haha, yeah. lkjalskjdadsfgr

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:37 AM   #22
Jaye Jang

My family is all ex-Military. To that effect we are a mishmash of Scots, Irish, Cherokee and Crow indian, German, Italian, Czech, Swedish, Danish, French and British Canadian, New Zealander, Aleut Eskimo and yes, African-American. In other words, we're a mess.
Morbid, loved the websites. Now I know why my friend from Edinburgh calls his band the "Sleekit Beasties."
TBE, Never been to Hawaii, but we used to have some Hawaiian friends, and the food is amazing. So is the scenery, and the mythology.
Jilli, you also have an amazing culture. (Check out Teatro Folklorico sometime. BTW The only good burritos are the real McCoy).
$haDe, have a lot of Thai friends, one of whom is teaching me how to make those lovely Thai desserts.
Love the Russian culture. Have an incredibly beautiful friend from Gdansk. (Man, I wish I had her cheekbones).
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:58 AM   #23
ellelino

I'm kinda of a mixture,
my mom is Half American (California) and half French... My dad is Half American and Half Lebanese...

I was born on Ellis island... and hence my name
My favorite culture though, I'd have to say is Lebanon...
its pretty wierd that country, I was born Christian, and in Lebanon that not so uncommon, the people here hate politics, everyone...
there are not much rules here, not much laws that are applied, but for some reason the people here of all religions simply accept each other, and respect one another, there are no stop signs in the streets, yet people simply learned to drive without them, everything is soooo chaotic yet people have learned live through it, its pretty amazing... and the Lebanese are the friendliest people you will ever meet, well in the center and on the coast at least... you wouldn't want to go towards the edges, HIZBULLAH :s
ellelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:07 AM   #24
StrangeLove

My family is Irish, Hungarian, and Russian.

We get very depressed, but we drink it off. A lot.
StrangeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:33 AM   #25
Deadmanwalking_05

When I was in Cali the thing I missed the most were the hills,and weather change,also being able to ride.

Yeah I loved the weather in southern Cali. but after awhile summer get's pretty boring.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote