Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #26
LiUsAiDh

I will... When I rule all....

We owe you? Although I don't know much history (I had to give it up two and a bit years ago), I'm pretty sure that we (Britain) headed the fight back, to protect everyone from the Nazi regime. If we hadn't taken the initiative y'all would have been conquered. So neeeh.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #27
Sodaspes

Rasputin is my foe.
Sodaspes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #28
LiUsAiDh

Shut up.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #29
Sodaspes

no.........................
Old 10-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #30
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
We've got Darwin on ours too, he's king!!!!!!!!!!!
Poor Wallace, he deserves a coin!
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #31
jack_the_knife

Vlad the Impaler
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #32
Saya

Quote:

We owe you? Although I don't know much history (I had to give it up two and a bit years ago), I'm pretty sure that we (Britain) headed the fight back, to protect everyone from the Nazi regime. If we hadn't taken the initiative y'all would have been conquered. So neeeh.
Canada pledge a lot of troops to Britain, which caused a huge ruckus during World War I here because a lot of the francophones who were drafted failed to see the point as to why they should die for the British King, and the separatist movement was born. Canadians also were very very helpful in aiding Britain in World War II, I'd give specifics but as you may tell my education in history focused a lot more on what Newfoundland was doing during the wars than what Canada was doing. But it was to my understanding it was a lot.

As we weren't apart of Canada During WWI the Newfoundland Regiment was sent in, also known as the "Blue Puttees". Most known are how most of them were sent in the Battle of the Somme and most never came back, that was also the day where the most British troops were killed. If you ever go to Beaumont-Hamel in France you'll see a memorial there for the Newfoundland Regiment. Wikipedia has a good account of what they did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Roy...ment#The_Somme

"In late 1917, following the Battle of Cambrai, the regiment was granted the "Royal" prefix by King George V, making it the only regiment of the British Empire to receive that honour during the war itself and only the third time in the history of the British Army that it has been given during a state of war."
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #33
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
If you ever go to Beaumont-Hamel in France you'll see a memorial there for the Newfoundland Regiment.
I've been there, my old avatar (this) was a pic I took of the "Danger Tree". One of the only trees on the battlefield that survived the shelling, so it got used as a marker point for holes in the barbed wire were. It also had several German machine guns pointing at the spot.

I have a few pics uploaded, but I think they're mainly of other sites around that area of France and Belgium. These might be at Beaumont-Hamel though: 1, 2.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #34
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:

heh western front.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #35
Mir

Quote:

Read up on Chamberlain and his cronies in the days/months/years leading up to the war.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:40 PM   #36
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
Read up on Chamberlain and his cronies in the days leading up to the war.

I think history portrays him too harshly.He did just want peace.
But then I would say that being a land grabbing German.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #37
Mir

I personally think his decisions were based purely on economics.

"I think Hitler is alright, someone we can do business with.". I'm paraphrasing at best, but I can look up the reference for you tomorrow.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #38
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
I personally think his decisions were based purely on economics.

"I think Hitler is alright, someone we can do business with.". I'm paraphrasing at best, but I can look up the reference for you tomorrow.
No need. I think however if France was more bold their would not have been a war after the invasion of Poland.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #39
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday Friday Addams
No need. I think however if France was more bold their would not have been a war after the invasion of Poland.
Moron.

tencharacters.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #40
Mir

Wasn't France literally begging U.K. to honour her treaty. and help her fight the Germans when Hitler was hell bent on attacking Czechoslovakia? France really did not have the army to successfully to go about a war by herself.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #41
Sodaspes

Juan Garcia.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:37 PM   #42
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Moron.

tencharacters.

Germany was undefended during the Invasion of Poland. A Polish force Penetrated into Germany and reported no resistance and asked for help. The French demanded they pull back.

The French decided to use ww1 style tactics when they was proven to be ineffective with Germany's new style of offense.

I really don't see the need in being rude to me, If you have a disagreement we should just debate it.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #43
Wednesday Friday Addams

Saw the bold after and I am ashamed as well.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:01 PM   #44
Sodaspes

Marshall Applewhite the leader of the heaven's gate cult.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #45
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday Friday Addams
Saw the bold after and I am ashamed as well.
Good.
You've learned your lesson.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #46
Sodaspes

Caligula. Ivan the terrible.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #47
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Ghengis.... Um, he's pretty dang infamous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genghis_Khan

I mean, he conquered this much!!
Which is very impressive until you realize the entire area is mostly undeveloped farmland and small villages.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:10 AM   #48
Jaye Jang

Wink

I'm just getting a kick out of the 'spar' wars between Saya and Lis. (Lis, got to remember the *strangulated squeaking noise* in the future. That was just good). Saya, would suggest burning the money with the Queen's 'mug shot', but what would I know. I'm just one of those 'rebellious Colonist upstarts.'
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:19 PM   #49
Sodaspes

The Joker, the penguin, the riddler, catwomen, twoface, Mr. Freez, lex luther, red skull, Dr Doom, Dr octopus, Green Goblin.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:18 AM   #50
RavenHallows.

Well, I think most of em have rather amazing qualities, but since i have to chose I shall go with my odd fictional-vampire obsession and say Dracula.
RavenHallows. is offline   Reply With Quote