Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
Graveyard.Crow

Talking Here is a strange question

So, in your opinion, what has to happen in order for someone male or female to upgrade from being a baby bat
Share opinions and be nice
Graveyard.Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #2
Mick Ignis

Know your roots. Understand where goth came from. Other than that, just act mature about it. Babybat is really a term for people who are interested in goth but know nothing about the subculture itself.

Or something...
Mick Ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #3
Graveyard.Crow

Great answer
Old 12-12-2006, 05:59 AM   #4
Slap Your Love

Couldn't have said it better myself. Know your roots mainly. =P
Old 12-12-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
Draconysius

Wow. You guys just said everything I was going to. Oh, besides that, you should probably stop going by stereotypes and be yourself to become a full-fledged Goth. As for the history of Goth, did you know that it goes back to the dark ages with the Goth tribes in Germany? Anyway, you should read on it. We didn't just steal their name for no reason.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #6
maggot

Woah, Drac. I don't know THAT far back! I only know to about... punk/postpunk/new-wave era. Mind filling me in?

Yeah, I agree it's about the roots and just being yourself.

I found that when I stopped trying to look like things, I looked more gawth than ever. :P
Old 12-12-2006, 10:01 AM   #7
Nocturalis

I have no idea really, how people would judge me like that. The only goths I know are people I rarely speak with (I don't get out much) and my girlfriend.

About the roots...

Well... thats just the name, really. The name went from the gothic tribes to the architecture, which people called that way because it seemed barbaric (?) And after that was given to the literary movement... and from that to the subculture, because a news reporter called a band's style "gothic".

Probably not completely right, but I thats all I recall.
Nocturalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:18 AM   #8
Draconysius

Yeah, basically, the Goth tribes in the dark ages were conquerors of Rome who were seen as barabaric, the art of the Goth peoples in the Renaissance was seen as unfashionable, the literature in the 1700's was gothic because it involved not only barabaric subject-matter but gothic-architectured castles. Soon, people who enjoyed reading gothic fiction were known as Goths, then came the punk movement which has pretty much stayed with the subculture since the 70's.

In summary, throughout history, goths were seen as barabaric, unfashionable, and uncivilized. That's why we took their name, I suppose.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
Pyre

I once saw this shirt that said "If you're really a GOTH, where were you when we sacked ROME?"
It made me laugh lots. I wanted it.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
Graveyard.Crow

We all say that a true goth knows the history or knows what the subculture is about. Yet in everyday life people get judged by their appearance, and no one wants to find out what they actually know about the subculture. So anyone can just put of the attire and fool half the people easily.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #11
Mick Ignis

If you're comfortable with your dark self and don't care what other people think about you, then you are a true goth.
Mick Ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:38 PM   #12
Graveyard.Crow

What about what fellow goths think of you?
Old 12-12-2006, 04:49 PM   #13
Godslayer Jillian

Gothic architecture was a hot topic of debate in the last century, with many artists advocating that Gothic architecture is the perfect Christian architecture.
Nice, huh?

Anyway, to me, Goth is about three things: Music, Personality, and Looks.

Music is the highest of those. Goth began as a musical style, and it will keep being a musical style.
Someone that says goth is about the looks obviously knows nothing about the subculture and wants to be called goth.
Someone that says it's only about the attitude is fictionalizing the term Goth to equateit with Artists.
Nevertheless, if someone knows and loves Bauhaus and the such, regardless of his/her looks and character, would have a much better time hanging around goths and viceversa.

Then it's character. Just like the punk had some radical determined ideals, Goth has to have some standards and values to indeed be a subculture and not simply a style.
These values, to me, should be:
Fear of mediocrity
Love for life overcoming death (not love for death)
Civilized manner of speaking to address morbid ideals
Finding the art in the accepted and the taboo (not just taboo)
An everquest for knowledge

Last thing I want to address is Fashion. It's the last of the musts, but it's still an important one.
Anyone that says Goth has nothing to do with the look just wants to call himself gothic but fears public apprehension too much to dress for the part.
Looks are a symbol. As a symbol, it conveys a meaning to people. There's a difference between attention-whoring and keynoting.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #14
Graveyard.Crow

Sad how half the co called gothic kids consider themselves such only because they learned the right make up tricks to look the part. Where I live anyways
Old 12-12-2006, 04:57 PM   #15
SKot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
What about what fellow goths think of you?
You don't need their approval or their admiration. Just be who you are. And if that makes you a goth, so be it. And if your fellow goths don't like you, so be it. But I guarantee that if you are true to yourself and conduct yourself well, you will find plenty of other goths who like you.

--SKot
SKot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #16
Graveyard.Crow

I like your signature "Your goth is not my goth" simple yet makes a point
Old 12-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #17
SKot

Quote:
I like your signature "Your goth is not my goth" simple yet makes a point
It's also akin to 'Your God is not my God', which is another favorite phrase of mine.

Regarding what is required to 'upgrade' from a baby bat to a full-fledged goth (or whatever), the only real answer to that is Time. Most baby bats disappear after a year or two. If you're still around after that, you're probably not a baby bat anymore. And nobody is likely to ever call you a baby bat after 4 or 5 years. Unless you act like one, of course.

--SKot
Old 12-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #18
BLEED REBELION!!!

hey who changes our lables from baby bat?
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:33 PM   #19
SKot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEED REBELION!!!
hey who changes our lables from baby bat?
The Mother Goth Brain does.

--SKot
Old 12-12-2006, 05:43 PM   #20
Pyre

Yargh. I became a babybat four years ago. I must be in the clear now

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:59 PM   #21
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Jillian's succinct and yet thorough description, and Skot's "your Goth is not my Goth" says it best for me. I have made myself into my own expression of personality, which happens to include but is not limited to Beatnik fashion, Goth and other music (Goth-metal, Punk, alternative, Death-Metal, Classical, Jazz, Rock and Roll), Gothic Romance Literature (reading and writing) and my hobby of visiting and photgraphing graves. All of the above is what I do because I *like* it, no other reason. It appeals to me. I was a baby bat though while I was sloppy in my writing, and in my lack of accuracy in Author's names.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #22
Graveyard.Crow

I'm stuck as a baby bat for a while since I'm 15 and look that way (I think) even thought I have been the way I am since the 6th grade. No one takes us teens seriously. *sigh*
Old 12-12-2006, 06:20 PM   #23
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
I'm stuck as a baby bat for a while since I'm 15 and look that way (I think) even thought I have been the way I am since the 6th grade. No one takes us teens seriously. *sigh*
Hey Crow, I do. I know I goof around a lot here (it's not my fault, really! I was a teenager but was recycled.) But I have two grown children who were teenagers at one time, and I learned to take teenagers seriously. Hell, even I was a teenager at one time. But really, I do take you all seriously. There are some of my peers however (chronological peers) that I do NOT take seriously. Cranky old farts, the load of them. Reading the Wall Street Journal and logging into their 401Ks three times a day. Pfft!

I have a 401k too, but it's boring. I would rather get my battle blacks on and hang out at the battle of the bands with music so loud I can't hear myself THINK!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #24
Graveyard.Crow

Hehe thank you
Though I find people out of highscool are not as quick to judge as other teenagers who think that being a year older than me gives them all the life experience in the world.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #25
Draconysius

No one could have described it more perfectly, Jillian.