Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:43 AM   #26
Apathy's_Child

Welcome to the site - any chance of getting some pictures of you in that favourite outfit? (Preferably with the boots.)

Anyway, I'll stop being scary pervy stalker man, and just say glad to have ya.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #27
blackwater1110

Heya, many welcomes to you. I know Ravenmother is also a goth mom on this site, and she frequents these boards pretty often, so you're in good company.

Both your and insolitus's novels sound fascinating. If you need a test reader, let me know! I've very direct, thorough, and constructive in my critiques. On a side note, how inspiring! How do you come up with material? I can't usually think of much to write about, so I never get started.
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #28
Kristin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
Welcome to the site - any chance of getting some pictures of you in that favourite outfit? (Preferably with the boots.)

Anyway, I'll stop being scary pervy stalker man, and just say glad to have ya.
LOL Actually I would really like some honest opinions on how my outfits look, besides "scary," which is my husband's opinion. I'll get some pics soon.
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #29
Kristin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater1110
Heya, many welcomes to you. I know Ravenmother is also a goth mom on this site, and she frequents these boards pretty often, so you're in good company.

Both your and insolitus's novels sound fascinating. If you need a test reader, let me know! I've very direct, thorough, and constructive in my critiques. On a side note, how inspiring! How do you come up with material? I can't usually think of much to write about, so I never get started.
I love to know I'm not the only cool mom here!

I always welcome honest test readers. I'm not done with the first rewrite yet, which technically isn't a rewrite as much as it is checking for grammar and run-on sentences; and I'm fixing a few plot problems. Then I'll be ready to ask people to pick it apart again! Hee hee

I always have a hard time coming up with ideas. For my book, I had the idea since high school, and it took me that long to come up with a working plot that could be a series. My daughter actually suggested a main character, and once he was in there, it all kind of clicked together. I'd love to write a lot of short stories to try and get established, but unfortunately I'm low on ideas for those too. I'm getting one ready to submit now actually, but after that it's going to be hard coming up with anything new.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #30
blackwater1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin
I love to know I'm not the only cool mom here!

I always welcome honest test readers. I'm not done with the first rewrite yet, which technically isn't a rewrite as much as it is checking for grammar and run-on sentences; and I'm fixing a few plot problems. Then I'll be ready to ask people to pick it apart again! Hee hee

I always have a hard time coming up with ideas. For my book, I had the idea since high school, and it took me that long to come up with a working plot that could be a series. My daughter actually suggested a main character, and once he was in there, it all kind of clicked together. I'd love to write a lot of short stories to try and get established, but unfortunately I'm low on ideas for those too. I'm getting one ready to submit now actually, but after that it's going to be hard coming up with anything new.
Some of my ideas I've considered more workable have come from really stimulating conversations. There has been an influx of intelligent new members to g-net lately, so hopefully as you all contribute, these boards will become a great way to find interesting topics!
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #31
Kristin

That's a really good point that I hadn't thought of before. See, you were right!

Oh, guess what I have to do in a few minutes. Apparently the people at church think it's the coolest thing ever that I've written a book, even though it may never be published. They've been asking me about it over a year ago, ever since my daughter mentioned to someone that I was writing one. Word travels in church. LOL They're actually part of the reason I finished it. But anyway, the teenage girls along with my daughter are having their weekly get-together tonight, and I'm their topic! I'm so freaked out. I have to talk about how I wrote the dang book, how to creatively write, etc. I do not function well when talking in front of a group. So when I post here again, it may just be little broken, nervous pieces of me posting.

I typed up a 3-page how-to with hopefully lots of informative little goodies, my short story for anyone there to read if they want, and 4 short, dramatic excerpts from my book. AAAAAAK!!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #32
insolitus_noir

So...how'd it go? Did you survive? The lions didn't tear you to shreds, I hope. Sounds like you went in prepared...and it's great to have an eager audience!
insolitus_noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #33
Kristin

Oh...my...goodness. It was terrifying, you know how 9 teenage girls could be. And it's not like I'm really any authority on what I was talking about. I didn't know what I was talking about at all. But they loved it! I told them how to come up with ideas for writing, how to outline, characterization, etc. They asked lots of questions, like how long I'd been writing, what my book was about, and stuff. At the end I read four excerpts from my book. Two of them gave me their email addresses and asked to be test readers. I thought I was going to muddle through the whole thing and look like an idiot, but I actually had a really good time and it flew by. A couple of them kept saying they were so glad they came. Made me kinda happy.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #34
Mother Of All Things Odd

Oh , my gosh I just read your intro. It was just too funny.
You answered a life long question for me: am I the only 80's goth that married a country music loving man? Thank God we agree to suffer for each others musical taste.
Lucky for me tho, he doesn't find my clothing too scary since he thinks I'm hot even tho I'm not . Of course, he thinks El Vira and Mortisha Adams were hot.
Why would anyone make fun of your taste in music? It isn't crap, I mean rap, or anything really outrageous . Heck my musical taste goes all over the board except for that rap stuff. But honestly even tho I still remember my first BauHaus cassette very fondly , Queen still takes it.
Muse ain't bad either but I still lean mosr towards Leaves Eyes .

Tho I am old my ears still work and good music is still good music.
Just how many original 80s goths are here? Both mothers and fathers.
Mother Of All Things Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #35
Kristin

I'm glad I'm not the only mismatched one! I'm slowly pulling my husband over to the dark side. He'd never be goth, in fact he'd look ridiculous, but he is a computer geek. And where computer geekiness goes, ren faires and D&D games are likely to follow. So he's starting to accept that his gaming and medieval passions go hand-in-hand with some goths. Although I'll never play D&D or Everquest. And once he saw me in a corset, he was quite okay with me being goth. ROFL

He also thinks that my 15yo's recent discovery of Steamgoth is very cool. But he hates our music, so we love to blast Linkin Park or Muse whenever he's home, just to be turds. We love Queen too! Did you know that Dom from Muse is a big fan of Queen? I think that's why some of Muse's songs are reminiscent of Queen.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #36
GothicChristian

Quote:
I'm glad I'm not the only mismatched one! I'm slowly pulling my husband over to the dark side. He'd never be goth, in fact he'd look ridiculous, but he is a computer geek. And where computer geekiness goes, ren faires and D&D games are likely to follow. So he's starting to accept that his gaming and medieval passions go hand-in-hand with some goths. Although I'll never play D&D or Everquest. And once he saw me in a corset, he was quite okay with me being goth. ROFL

He also thinks that my 15yo's recent discovery of Steamgoth is very cool. But he hates our music, so we love to blast Linkin Park or Muse whenever he's home, just to be turds. We love Queen too! Did you know that Dom from Muse is a big fan of Queen? I think that's why some of Muse's songs are reminiscent of Queen.
My dad doesn't even have the makings of anything even slightly resembling goth. He's a UPS guy that works a lot, comes home in a bad mood, eats, sleeps, repeats. It's boring.
GothicChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #37
Kristin

LOL My daughter would say the same thing about her dad. And we all scream when he's driving, because that means he gets to listen to his type of music. The horror!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #38
insolitus_noir

Quote:
A couple of them kept saying they were so glad they came. Made me kinda happy.
Glad to hear it went well and you weren't eaten alive. Any chance of me getting a copy of that short story?
insolitus_noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:20 PM   #39
Kristin

Yeah, I was going to send it to Realms of Fantasy today but chickened out. Maybe a good critique is what I need!
Old 05-09-2008, 03:34 AM   #40
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
And I needed to practice with 3rd person and some romance, so last week I wrote a romantic fantasy short story. I'm not a big romance fan, but there will be some in my books, so I need to get comfortable writing it.
I have found that if you add romance to action, romance to suspense etc. you will get more people to read to the end of the story, as measured by the per chapter hits at places like fictionpress dot com. Gothic.net has number of views, but the nature of the forum is such that you can't really post a story on a per chapter basis, and measure views for each one.

But yeah, romance writing is fun if you're an incurable romantic like me.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:59 AM   #41
GothicChristian

Send it out or you'll end up like me, with a drawer full of books and short stories that are probably better than some I've read and full of regret. And 20 years later rewriting them still because I'm not happy with them.
Before you send anything to a publisher get a literary agent. Yea , they get 10% but they protect you and your writing and get it to the right people. With all the pirating that goes on today it probably save you heartache and drama later on.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #42
Kristin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
I have found that if you add romance to action, romance to suspense etc. you will get more people to read to the end of the story, as measured by the per chapter hits at places like fictionpress dot com. Gothic.net has number of views, but the nature of the forum is such that you can't really post a story on a per chapter basis, and measure views for each one.

But yeah, romance writing is fun if you're an incurable romantic like me.
Me too! What was fun, at least for me, in my first book was teasing readers with the possibility of romance, but snatching it away right at the end. It pissed off my test reader, but she admitted it worked that way. But I have to learn how to write it well, because book 2 will get mushy. Whee!
Old 05-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #43
Kristin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicChristian
Send it out or you'll end up like me, with a drawer full of books and short stories that are probably better than some I've read and full of regret. And 20 years later rewriting them still because I'm not happy with them.
Before you send anything to a publisher get a literary agent. Yea , they get 10% but they protect you and your writing and get it to the right people. With all the pirating that goes on today it probably save you heartache and drama later on.
Not to mention that most big publishers will not accept work without an agent. When I'm finished rewriting my book as much as I can, I'm starting the hunt for an agent. I have a few in mind already. *crosses fingers* I don't have a lot of short stories in me, but I kinda love the one I just finished.

And don't give up on yours! If they're better than some you've read, they're probably publishable.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #44
GothicChristian

My mom really needs to learn to use that log out button and log in as herself. Le sigh.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #45
Kristin

I was wondering about that! I was thinking either GC started writing when she was really little, or she's a little older than I thought. Bwaha. But I've done that too, with my daughter's youtube account, commenting on something before logging in as me.