Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 02-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Despanan

Lightbulb I think I can put a cap on this whole atheist/theist discussion.

So, this started as a response to his post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
One cannot be "recruited" to non-belief... one has to come to one's on conclusions.

...And while I may think that Des and Kotan tend to be a little retarded when it comes to handling people, I think their blackened little hearts are in the right place.
But it sort of grew. This is sort of a final argument/personal narritive of my own journey to my own conclusion. I hope it will help you to understand me and my position.

While I do agree that people have to come to their own conclusions, if we don't speak out about it, if we don't challenge them, most of them never will.

I used to think exactly like Ape Descendant, and Saya, and HP back when I was 18 or 20. I didn't WANT to be an atheist because Atheists (with a capital "A") were rude jerks who were just angry and it was just as viable to believe in God as not. (Right?) so I thought I should be an agnostic (though even then that seemed too wishy-washy). To me, Atheism was a religion just like any other, except it really wasn't because it was also MAD and reactionary. I became a Buddhist for a while because it seemed to me the religion with the least reliance on the supernatural (and one MUST have a religion or be an angry dickwad).

I thought that you needed to respect everyone's beliefs, so long as they were quiet about it. I thought you needed to give every idea a fair and equal chance and never TOTALLY rule one out in order to be open-minded.

Guess what? I was wrong. What I thought of as "respecting" the beliefs of others was really just gagging them and myself, and I quickly noticed that the same "respect" I extended, was rarely returned.

And honestly, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I couldn't stop putting my belief's under a microscope. I used to take these long drives from Louisville to Russell Springs, and I'd look out over the horizon and I'd think about God. I distinctly remember saying to Konatan on one of these drives: "I really hope I'm not an atheist". I started writing atheists into my fiction, with the intention of displaying them for what they were: flawed angry extremists, and they ended up being the most compelling, most interesting characters I'd been able to pen up to that point. My brain was trying to tell me something.

I used to call Dawkin's an ass, because anyone who openly states that he is an atheist and he's pretty sure religion is wrong, and that, this same religion is harmful and people shouldn't believe it, simply MUST be an ass.

We don't bat an eye when someone says: "I am a Christian, and so I believe that you must accept Jesus Christ as your lord and Savior in order to go to Heaven". You know what? They don't even have to say that last part (as it's implicit.) They can really just say: "I'm a Christian and God loves you".

Nice right? Or is it?

In a "nice" way, they've just condemned each and every one of us non-believers, theists and atheists alike. In one breath they've said: "Ascribe to my worldview or burn". and we LET them get away with it, we say: "Well it's just their beliefs, we have to respect them."

What about MY beliefs? All I did was voice them and it got HP turn completely around on me and Kontan. Where before he was a nice, "Lets have everybody get along" old man, Now he's passive-aggressively goading Catch to harass us (really HP? CATCH? She's barely coherent) Starting elaborately-veiled attack threads like his so-called "bridge to the future" (which might have been more aptly titled "Hey, guys SHUT UP") and the Nietzsche one, and accusing Kontan of being drunk and belligerent.

WE are NOT the ones who are out of line here. WE are not the ones being assholes, Humaine Pain is the one who's behaving poorly. Humaine Pain is the one who wants to use "tolerance" as an excuse to muzzle us, (and by extention, all those who think like us). This is swiftly approaching Tam Li Hua levels of passive-aggression.

And you people are backing him up. Even fellow out-of-the-closet-atheists like Ape Descendant are pulling a Log-cabin Republican, and calling us assholes...Ape Descendant is distancing herself from what are really just her own belief's simply stated, without apology. Even some atheists are siding with theists who are clearly behaving poorly, and WHY? Because they're theists. Because we have all been raised, indoctrinated, with a reverence and awe for these silly ideas. We have been raised to not scrutinize, we have been raised to not question, we have been raised to excuse just these ideas.

WHY? Because people believe them? Because people base their lives on them? Logically, that means they need to be scrutinized all the more. They must be examined and attacked and hammered at every opportunity SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE they hold such say over the human mind. To do otherwise, to continue to allow these ideas to enjoy the free pass, the unassailable position which they have enjoyed for thousands of years is an act of utmost negligence.

You remember, when I said, that if Jesus, keeping the very clear laws of the gospels in mind, the laws that he himself stated, ever told someone "Hey, you say you've got your own way to God? Cool. You have your way, I have my way, I guess I'll see you there" he would have been doing a horrible thing, he would have been lying and therefore tricking that person into hell? It's not quite the same thing here (there's no threat of eternal punishment implicit in my view) but, if I have the opportunity, in the proper social context to scrutinize these ideas, to ask these questions, and I do not, out of cowardice, or fear of offending...I have just done myself and everyone around me a disservice. I have betrayed myself, my principals, and I have betrayed you. I have given parts of myself and my mind over to this deity, that I don't even believe in.

This is wrong. What Humane Pain asks, what Saya asked, What Ape Descendant asks is too much, it is disrespectful, dehumanizing, dishonest, and and dangerous. In the name of avoiding an unavoidable conflict, they have cast me as Copernicus, and asked that I lie to the Pope, that I become a part of the problem, instead of the solution.

Respectfully: never. I cannot, will not, abandon my principals for your pretense of reverence. I will not disrespect myself in that matter, nor will I disrespect other atheists, nor will I disrespect my political and intellectual enemies.

Simply shutting up, and pretending we all agree with each other all the time is not the way forward. Ignoring fundamental differences, psychologically segregating our minds is not the way to reach acceptance. Acceptance is reached through communication. It is reached through a melding, a joining of minds, and it is reached through the abandonment of outdated, harmful cultural beliefs and practices. Acceptance is born through struggle.

In conclusion, I will simply share this: after all my fear of becoming an Angry Atheist...am I actually angry? By abandoning all belief in the existence of Gods did I become everything I feared? No, my friends. We've all heard of cognitive dissonance, and I was experiencing it for years. After fighting my own mind, my own reason for so long...I can't tell you how good it feels, to finally admit that there is no God.

In letting go of this notion, I've at long last grown up. My morality has deepened, my understanding and sheer awe at the majesty of the natural world has increased, and my compassion for my fellow man has become greater. I'm giving to charity now, I'm doing social work. While many theists prepare for doomsday and work to ensure their place in the next life, I'm making the most of this one. I'm writing, I'm climbing mountains, I'm leaving a legacy, a better legacy for the next generation, because no one is going to do it for us.

This is our planet, our universe, and we alone are the masters of it, and that is truly a beautiful, comforting, and liberating thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Alan

tl;dr dude

Can't we all just focus on that wicca girl? That's fun
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
vindicatedxjin

Thumbs up

Thanks for writing this Des. It's something that everyone needs to hear and be aware of, especially new atheists like myself. I really respect you, because what you say is out of complete concern for mankind.
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
MissCheyenne

You know, I find it hard to identify with any of this because I've NEVER believed in God. I was raised in a household free of religion and while I encountered a certain amount of it at school, it was never forced on me so I was free to choose if I wanted to believe or not. All I can say is that I respect a persons right to believe but it doesn't mean that I respect the actual belief.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
You know, I find it hard to identify with any of this because I've NEVER believed in God. I was raised in a household free of religion and while I encountered a certain amount of it at school, it was never forced on me so I was free to choose if I wanted to believe or not. All I can say is that I respect a persons right to believe but it doesn't mean that I respect the actual belief.
This. ....
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
Spookycreep

As I said elsewhere, I am a Satanist but in my mid 20's I considered myself an atheist. This "belief" only lasted about a year because, you could say God decided to pay me a visit. up close and real personal. I had two spontaneous, and out of the blue experiences of altered states of consciousness. They happened within days of eachother, they were undoubtly the strangest thing that's ever happened to me in my 54 years of walking the earth.
The first experience was one of what is comonlly knowns as a state of "cosmic consciousness" where you experience a oneness with everything around you. I can assure you, no street drug could touch this high.
The second experience_which, as Iv'e mentioned happened a few days after the first_ was an out of body experience. This one ended up scaring the hell out of me once I realized this shit was actually happening but the second I felt that fear_in a flash I was back in my body. I regret that fear to this day, it would have been interesting to see what I could have done but considering people don't just up and leave their skin everyday I can only be but so angry with myself.
The point of all this being, there is a higher reality, you can call it god or whatever but it's a reality not controlled by any organized religion or so neatly defined in any so called Holy Book that no more can be said of it. God, as I like to say is an anarchist.
Spookycreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
tl;dr dude

Can't we all just focus on that wicca girl? That's fun

My thoughts are wasted on your inferior, Mexican mind anyway.

Oh, also: the Wicca girl IS A TROLL.
Quote:
Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
Alan

No; what's on top of you, now that's a troll.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
Despanan

Don't address it, you'll only encourage it.
Quote:
Old 02-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
In a "nice" way, they've just condemned each and every one of us non-believers, theists and atheists alike. In one breath they've said: "Ascribe to my worldview or burn". and we LET them get away with it, we say: "Well it's just their beliefs, we have to respect them."
You are completely correct in this matter. Its one reason why I cannot sympathize with a Christian who believes in Hellfire/Purgatory. If it is any consolation to you the Bible never really mentions hell; It refers to Hades in the Greek scriptures which is translated to "the grave". Hell doesn't exist. It's a poorly translated word used for centuries by various sects to use in a terrible way.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:25 AM   #11
Murder.Of.Crows

I believe it was originally used in Norse mythology derived from old German "hel" meaning punishment. i could be wrong however.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
You are completely correct in this matter. Its one reason why I cannot sympathize with a Christian who believes in Hellfire/Purgatory. If it is any consolation to you the Bible never really mentions hell; It refers to Hades in the Greek scriptures which is translated to "the grave". Hell doesn't exist. It's a poorly translated word used for centuries by various sects to use in a terrible way.
From what I've read, I'm inclined to agree with you here, there's not a great deal of biblical evidence for the modern conception of Hell (most of that comes from Dante's Inferno if I'm not mistaken).

I suppose that again comes down to what's actually in the book, and what Christianity tends to mean in practice. In this case it happens to be that the practice/normative belief is far worse than what the actual scripture implies.
Quote:
Old 02-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #13
Corpsey

Quite so. I'm sure I've mentioned this to you before, but you have to take Modern Day Christianity with a grain of salt as quite often people will (and a very large portion of people) will quote the Bible in a misrepresented way to back up their own opinion. It doesn't mean that they are Christian or representing God.

Think of it like someone writing an Essay about "Despanan and his Great Works and Legacies" with all of the references from Catch & Tam Li Hua. The work that the Person would be talking about would be about a great man, but the content would be ludicrously biased and poorly presented. You would get a glimpse of the real character of Despanan but only through the opinions of those who could not ever truly represent him.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Think of it like someone writing an Essay about "Despanan and his Great Works and Legacies" with all of the references from Catch & Tam Li Hua.
OMG

10 chars

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
Despanan

Quote:
Think of it like someone writing an Essay about "Despanan and his Great Works and Legacies" with all of the references from Catch & Tam Li Hua.
Oh Jesus NOOOOOOO!
Quote: