Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
darkladebug

Born on the Darkest Day of the Year...

Yes, I was... I share a birthday with Bram Stoker, give or take a hundred and some odd years... at least as far as you know :) It's often considered to be the darkest day of the year and those born on this day have a fascination with all things dark. Perhaps that is why I am how I am, who knows, but here is a little about me.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)

Well I'm a web developer & designer. Yes I do both, somehow I have a logical mind capable of programming but have a big creative streak as well so it helps me handle both developer & design without too much trouble.

As far as hobbies go, I make and sell hand-made dog collars and leashes, I make and re-make a lot of my clothes because I love to be original and one of a kind, I also design my own goth & steampunk jewelry and accessories, and I love to do digital art and photomanipulations.

I also run a ghost stories website, which is one of the more fun things i do on a day to day basis.

Beyond that I like to spend a few evenings out on the town with others in the local subculture. I love loud music and meeting interesting people so I have a good time out at the clubs generally.

2. Where are you from?

I'm from Denver, Colorado

3. Who is your favorite author?

Hard to say, I love all sorts of books. Of course I love classics like Poe, HP Lovecraft, Oscar Wilde, and so on, but recently I've read and loved the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series by Stieg Larsson, and I loved the Dexter book by Jeff Lindsay (and yes, I'm excited for the next to come out next month)

4. What are your favorite films?

Oh wow, there are so many... love the Labyrith, The Dark Crystal, Nightmare Before Christmas (yes, yes I know, but I love it), Priest, Fifth Element, Hackers, Corpse Bride and countless others. I'm watching Hackers as I write this :)

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?

I'm uncertain whether I will ever be married, but I suppose if I did... I have no idea. My mother asked me once if she would have to wear black lipstick to my wedding. I really don't know why since I'm more of a bright red lips sort of woman, but perhaps I need black lipstick worthy music playing, just so my mother will not be disappointed. Perhaps Emilie Autumns Shalott since its about a woman who risks her very life for love. Great song by the way.

6. At your funeral?

I really do not care what they play at my funeral. Perhaps that's anti-goth of me, but hey, I try not to label myself. My opinion is that funerals are really for the benefit of those who remain and so whatever will make them feel better about my passing is what should be played.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?

I think I'd like to die in my sleep of carbon monoxide poisoning or something equally painless. If it needs to be a painful death, I think I'd like to be torn about by some sort of cryptid like a werewolf, or perhaps a zombie or vampire.

8. What kind of casket would you want?

I'm torn between a classic glossy black lined with purple velvet, and a steampunk coffin complete with functional mechanical latches lined with a deep red velvet.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?

Hmmm black, most anything black. I have an Ozzy shirt I remade into something completely unique and special using a deep red jersey covered with a black burnout velvet with a skull and spider design. Its lovely, and probably my favorite when pair with a black skirt.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?

Neon Spandex. Oh wait did I just date myself? haha. I'm just kidding by the way neon spandex was pretty terrifying, but I miss actually being frightened by scary stories when I was a kid. I didn't sleep for days after watching the Gremlins for the first time.

11. What's your favorite band?

I really love all sorts of music, and I'm not a music snob at all, but some that you might find me listening to are Aesthetic Perfection, Solar Fake, Combichrist, Emilie Autumn, Rob Zombie, Ozzy, Garbage (yes from the 90s), Avenged Sevenfold, Shinedown, I could go on and on...

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?

I have a BS in Computer Information Systems. My specialization was in Enterprise and Web Application Development.

13. Why did you join?

To meet new people, I love talking to interesting people.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?

I am female.
darkladebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Solumina

Welcome to gnet, I hope you enjoy your stay. Just to warn you some members can be a bit hostile but as long as you are able to back up any arguments that you make with facts and sound logic then you'll be fine (not to say that everything is super serious but debates are fairly common, especially in politics but they do pop up elsewhere).

Out of curiosity do you make the collars and leashes from scratch or do you buy basic ones and alter/embellish them?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
darkladebug

Thanks for the welcome and warning - from your welcome I cant help but wonder if I said something controversial that I should be worried about. If I did, I apologize, although there are some people who would label me this way, I don't really consider myself to be "goth" but I have a number of friends who are, and who truly are among the best people I know. Personally I just prefer to avoid labels, I don't want to be goth or steampunk or whatever, I just want to be me.

Oh and about the collars, they are all handmade from scratch. They are all fabric collars for now though, I haven't yet moved into the art of leather or other materials.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
Grausamkeit

The darkest day of the year actually falls on the winter solstice(12-21). My husband was born on the 'darkest day of the year' and the only dark thing he likes is me.

You don't have to put on airs or attempt to tie darkness to yourself to be accepted here. Actually, we just prefer that people be themselves.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
darkladebug

Oh thank you for pointing that out... perhaps I should have clarified, I did not mean literally the darkest day of the year. In astrology the date of Nov 8th has been often labeled as the darkest day of the year.

I was simply sharing what I considered an interesting fact
Old 09-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
Grausamkeit

Ah, I have not read up on astrology in years. Sorry.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Solumina

Don't worry you didn't say anything that you need to worry about, some people have just been picking apart newbies lately and I just wanted to let you know before anything like that happened.

Kudos for making your stuff from scratch. It's kind of an unusual hobby, how did you get into it?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
Kasdeja

Welcome! I like your avatar... you didn't say anything controversial, no worries.

Kasdeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkladebug View Post
Thanks for the welcome and warning - from your welcome I cant help but wonder if I said something controversial that I should be worried about. If I did, I apologize, although there are some people who would label me this way, I don't really consider myself to be "goth" but I have a number of friends who are, and who truly are among the best people I know. Personally I just prefer to avoid labels, I don't want to be goth or steampunk or whatever, I just want to be me.

Oh and about the collars, they are all handmade from scratch. They are all fabric collars for now though, I haven't yet moved into the art of leather or other materials.
Most people here don't label themselves as "goth" anyway, no worries! Can't speak for everyone, but some of us have been here a while and then kinda grew out of it, but still love being here. And by some of us I mean me but I like to think I'm not the only one.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
wolf moon

Whatever, you're a Hackers fan. I can only assume you're packed full of witty comebacks to throw at potential flamers. Just let them know what happens if they Mess With the Best.

Also, Emilie Autumn!
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #11
AshleyO

Emily Autumn? Really?

At least you sound creative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkladebug View Post
Oh thank you for pointing that out... perhaps I should have clarified, I did not mean literally the darkest day of the year. In astrology the date of Nov 8th has been often labeled as the darkest day of the year.

I was simply sharing what I considered an interesting fact
Citation needed.

Darkest day of the year? Not even.

The darkest days of the year are in Capricorn.

You were born November 8th.

That's not even the Winter Solstice.

I don't even know what point you're trying to make. This is about as dumb as people who brag about being born on Halloween.

I have to remind myself that AT LEAST you're creative.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
Kasdeja

... and away we go!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #13
Beowulf

Hello and welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasdeja View Post
... and away we go!
So she likes to fancy herself dark or mysterious or something.

But she tried to legitimize her fancies to us because... she wants us to see her and think of her as some dark and interesting person.

I really don't understand why this front she's put on in the beginning is somehow the more important aspect.

We must consider that she was born on the darkest day of the year (why is that important?) before considering that she's an artist and then doesn't really have much evidence or proof to legitimize her initial claim and so far, all evidence is contrary to that claim. So not only does she want us to consider her facade firstly, she's wanting us to consider firstly that her facade is relevant even though it's based on lies, opinion, or misunderstanding.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post

But she tried to legitimize her fancies to us because... she wants us to see her and think of her as some dark and interesting person.

I really don't understand why this front she's put on in the beginning is somehow the more important aspect.

We must consider that she was born on the darkest day of the year (why is that important?) before considering that she's an artist and then doesn't really have much evidence or proof to legitimize her initial claim and so far, all evidence is contrary to that claim. So not only does she want us to consider her facade firstly, she's wanting us to consider firstly that her facade is relevant even though it's based on lies, opinion, or misunderstanding.
Pretty sure nobody else gives a fuck. Chill out.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #16
Alan

I have the same opinion as AshleyO
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #17
Doktor Haus

It's always good to see creative new people here.
Might I ask what the inspiration was behind your avatar? Just curious.

Oh, and by the way... this forum only gives a fuck when there should be no fucks given.
Doktor Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #18
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post

Honestly... I'm pretty sure she meant that comment as a joke. Based on the humor in her intro and the complete lack of any indication she considers herself the "dark and interesting person" you reference, I'm really pretty certain you're just misreading a joke.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #19
Grausamkeit

Please read the thread fully before attempting to impart knowledge, son.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #20
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I have the same opinion as AshleyO
But you didn't say anything.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #21
Alan

No, but it shows it's not true nobody else gives a fuck.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #22
Saya

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS. agasdghafh.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #23
Corpsey

Would you prefer things made of slugs and snails and puppy-dogs tails?

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #24
Kasdeja

I'll have to agree with Versus on this one... give it a fucking rest. Nobody cares.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #25
ape descendant

Hello, new one and welcome to gnet. I looked over your favorite films list, and we like a lot of the same ones, Labrynth, Dark Crystal and especially 5th Element. Hooray!

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote