Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
x-deviant-x

American Horror Story on FX

A new series on FX, American Horror Story, from the creators of Nip/Tuck (and Glee, but we can forgive them for that train wreck).

Just discovered this one and watched the pilot on the FX website. I gotta say, it seems pretty intense so far. Looking forward to the next episode.

It centers around a small family who moves into a creepy old house on the outskirts of Los Angeles, complete with some freakish neighbors, a creepy maid and some weird shit goin on in the basement. Classic haunted house, Nip/Tuck style. Lots of sex and some pretty twisted themes. The characters are interesting and the acting seems pretty solid overall.

Nip/Tuck was one of my favorite shows for its first 4 seasons, and watching AHS immediately was reminiscent of that. So this seems promising, in my opinion. If you haven't watched it, maybe you should check it out.
x-deviant-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
Miss Absynthe

I have just watched the first two eps online (as far as I'm aware it isn't slated to be shown here), and I quite enjoyed them. Things seems to be a little disjointed and jump about a little bit, but I think that they are trying to use this as a device to put the audience off-center so that they share in the feeling that the family has about not knowing what is going on.

Although there seems to be an inordinate number of scenes starring Dylan McDermott's naked bum.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #3
x-deviant-x

Hey, where did you find Episode 2? On the FX site or somewhere else?

I can't find it.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
Miss Absynthe

tv-links.eu

They have a great collection of links to shows.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
Saya

Was half interested before I heard it was by Ryan Murphy. Fuck Ryan Murphy. I half like Glee, but it suffers from Nip/Tuck syndrome sometimes.

I watched the entire series when my old roommate was in nursing, since she finds plastic surgery fascinating from a professional standpoint, and we'll still reference our favourite lines, Julia's "I don't know you anymore!" and in the later seasons where they had the "I [do this strange behavior], as plastic surgeons, you should understand!", my favourite being "I fuck furniture! As plastic surgeons, you should understand!", the obligatory goth/vampire episode was a close second though, "I drink blood! As plastic surgeons, you should understand!"

I realize this has nothing to do with American Horror Story per se, but yeah, the equation with Nip/Tuck just kills it for me.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Miss Absynthe

I never watched Nip/Tuck, and am not interested in doing so - it just seemed like a bit of a soap opera to me. I don't watch Glee but have seen a couple of episodes, which I didn't enjoy. I find it too patronising and trite.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
I never watched Nip/Tuck, and am not interested in doing so - it just seemed like a bit of a soap opera to me. I don't watch Glee but have seen a couple of episodes, which I didn't enjoy. I find it too patronising and trite.
Nip/Tuck was essentially a prime time soap opera. It got away with what a lot of soap operas couldn't get away with in their daytime slots, basically. And unlike soap operas I think they assumed the viewership would be mostly male, because it was hella misogynistic. Yes, have our protagonist pretend to rrape and beat his wife using a sex doll. We'll totally still love him and totally believe that he is the nice, idealist sweet guy out of the two of them.

Glee I like when its being very tongue in cheek and funny, I hate the overdrawn drama shit. Also looking really forward to Rachel leaving the show next year.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
x-deviant-x

Quote:
I have just watched the first two eps online (as far as I'm aware it isn't slated to be shown here), and I quite enjoyed them. Things seems to be a little disjointed and jump about a little bit, but I think that they are trying to use this as a device to put the audience off-center so that they share in the feeling that the family has about not knowing what is going on.
Yeah it does jump a bit. I think it's a little too revealing for the pilot. They could have prolonged some of the storylines, like the maid and the neighbor or Tate and the shit that happened in the basement with the bitch from school. I love Frances Conroy though, glad to see her in something new. She always plays intriguing roles and does a good job, I think. I thought Jessica Tandy was dead. oops. lol.

Quote:

Although there seems to be an inordinate number of scenes starring Dylan McDermott's naked bum.
You say that like it's a bad thing. LOL. I say bring on more of it. That man is sex on a STICK! They could have found a better looking female than that sack of wrinkles he has for a wife, but I kind'a like her character, so she can stay.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
x-deviant-x

Quote:
tv-links.eu

They have a great collection of links to shows.
Awesome, thanks.

I loved the first 4 seasons of Nip/Tuck. After that it completely went to shit. I was hoping they'd bring back the carver, or Michelle from season 4, as she was my favorite character of all of them, but they never did. I tried to stay interested but it's like they brought in a whole new team of writers that knew nothing about the characters so I never made it past about the middle of 5th season.

Could never stomach glee. I watched maybe 2 episodes, can't stand musicals as a rule (some aren't bad) and that shit was just too damned gay, even for me.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #10
Daywalker

I have been watching it every episode so far I find it captivating and some what
atmospheric at some times. However I am not a fan of the split sec cut frames.
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
Miss Absynthe

I just watched episode 3, and am still finding it interesting although it tends to over-explain things at times.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:55 PM   #12
x-deviant-x

Over explaining? Yeah, I guess so, kinda.

Tate's character is becoming more interesting. I was originally thinking he was Constance's son but now I'm starting to wonder if he might be her husband. I'm thinkin that's one of the mysteries they're gonna stretch out for a while.

I think the best scene from ep 3 was when Moira was watching burnt dude dig up the grave. Was just very moving.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #13
Miss Absynthe

Please be careful of spoilers - there are going to be people reading this thread who haven't seen the episode yet.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #14
x-deviant-x

Derp, true sorry.

Ignore the burnt guy comment. that didn't happen. Nothing to see here folks. move along.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:52 AM   #15
Miss Absynthe

LOL with more letters so that I can post my laughter.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
LOL with more letters so that I can post my laughter.
How about "Insert long, guttural, sinister laugh here?"

Zombie Protest:
"What do we want?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
"When do we want it?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #17
Spooky Spencer

I like the show so far, but I really don't see what's so important about McDermott's butt. Does it get a "special guest" credit each time it makes an appearance?

Also, "mom" needs to go back and finish that tour.

Zombie Protest:
Old 12-11-2011, 01:41 AM   #18
x-deviant-x

So is anyone still watching AHS?

I was losing interest there for an episode or two, but this week's installment really ramped it up for me. So many story lines are coming to a head. There's only 3 episodes left in this season, with the finale being 90 minutes, cut down from an original 2 hours. It's been renewed for a 2nd season, and I have a feeling it will introduce a new family to the house.

Watching it this week, I'm realizing how this show is truly a reinterpretation of all the classics that have shaped American horror, and in my opinion, its been done in a pretty damned brilliant way. From Jason Vorhees to Michael Myers and Freddy Kreuger, from the Addams Family to Amityville, Psycho, Final Destination, Scream, you name it, there's even some Anne Rice's Lasher in the pot. Every character is compelling and they all have their secrets. I'm really enjoying how all those classic characters are being retold here, given new life and tied together.

Early on my brother speculated that the whole family is actually dead, and I disagreed initially but now I'm not so sure. I don't think everyone is, but a couple of them yes, and the other, just completely fucked up. I can't go into detail why I think this without spoiling bits for for those who haven't seen it yet, but the show is definitely dropping clues that this may very well be the case. Is anyone else watching it picking up on that?
Old 12-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #19
CyanideandRaspberryTea

My husband and I have literally spent the weekend watching all 10 episodes of the first season and while it's tripping balls, I love it! Sex, gore, scandal and the supernatural. Can't get too much better than that.
CyanideandRaspberryTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #20
Spooky Spencer

Still loving the show.

I read online that the original concept would be that the family would indeed die, but they said they changed. Might be lie, though, to throw everyone off. Ever notice that you never see the dog in any episode unless it's relevant to that particular episode?

Who thinks the dog really is dead? Ghost dog!

Zombie Protest:
Old 12-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #21
x-deviant-x

havent thought about the dog. but maybe those weren't really tomatos.

ever notice that you never see Vivian and Tate in the same scene? I've been looking for it while rewatching the first 10 and haven't seen it yet.

Ever notice that Ben rarely ever leaves the house, and when he does he has a very different demeanor about him. He's also never really experienced any of the freaky shit that Vivian or Violet have.

Several characters are proving they have a duality to their personalities though - a light and a dark side

There's usually only ever one survivor in any classic horror story, and I suspect we know who the survivor is likely to be for this family.

At any rate, Constance, by far, has got to be my favorite character. She's such a crazy bitch and you can never tell if you should love her, hate her or feel pitty for her. It's kind'a all that rolled into one. Her story is still such a huge mystery, there's a lot we haven't learned about her yet. Moira is a close second, on my favorites list.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:18 AM   #22
Lurcita

Meh it's alright, i still watch it from time to time.
Lurcita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #23
x-deviant-x

Ok the season finale sucked dirty dog balls. I'm kind'a pretty pissed about it. There was no point in making it an extra 10 minutes long. Nothing happened until the last 5 minutes and even then, blah. And last week's episode wasn't that great either. They should have made the week before the final episode. Just rework it into an ending.

Jessica Lang getting a golden globe nomination for it is kind'a cool, but since that really doesn't mean shit anymore, big deal.

Fuckin retards.

*sigh*
Old 12-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #24
solomon_black

I've only seen the pilot episode but I liked what I saw.
solomon_black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:04 AM   #25
Spooky Spencer

Guess I was wrong about (minor spoiler) the dog being dead (end spoiler).

Loved the ending. Bookends with the first episode, plus they finally explained the sleepwalking/stovetop thing. Not sure where they go from here, but this was a compact, perfect little season of twelve episodes, and I can't wait for a Blu-ray of extras and goodies!

Zombie Protest: