Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Godslayer Jillian

Maturity

Lately a favorite rhetoric device in arguments. But what does it even mean?
I demand rationalizations.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #2
Mir

You will get it someday.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I'd say maturity is....

Well you can't be mature across the board that's just unrealistic,by gaining experience in various events in you then get the option to actually think about see if you can enlighten yourself.

That's why you can't be an across the board mature person because you can't experience everything the world has to offer, it's physically impossible.

Now when people tell you to be more mature, they're saying, you've been a kid and you've been punished for doing things that our current society deems bad, therefore you have experienced what happens when you cross society so learn from that and prevent any harm to yourself.

But i'd say that is more using an updated survival mechanism than maturity, maturity denotes self growth not acceptance.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
StrangeLove

Maturity in arguments involves using logic and rational thinking, and using the art of reasoning and critical thinking skills in debating. It is a factor which people use to indicate how well they cope in different situations, reacting to circumstances and events in an appropriate manner. This is all learned from experience as well, which is why one "matures" mentally as they age.

Quote:
That's why you can't be an across the board mature person because you can't experience everything the world has to offer, it's physically impossible.
Very true. This is where critical thinking skills come in to become a bit more open-minded about people's different experiences and circumstances.
StrangeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeLove
Maturity in arguments involves using logic and rational thinking, and using the art of reasoning and critical thinking skills in debating.
Not necessarily.
One can be incredibly intelligent and logical and incredibly immature.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
StrangeLove

Quote:
Not necessarily.
One can be incredibly intelligent and logical and incredibly immature
True. In that case I've found it often depends on the argument, and the environment of the argument.
StrangeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
MollyMac

It involves a way of thinking beyond the here and now and beyond your own scope. Separating self from what is outside of the self and making decisions with more solid ground than knee-jerk.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:59 AM   #8
$haDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Not necessarily.

True.

plus - Depend on how one adapt himself in any situations using various experiences and abilities.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:21 AM   #9
a morbid curiosity

I think maturity is emotional intelligence. Not logic.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:01 AM   #10
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Not necessarily.
Could you give an example? I'd say that the point at which such an individual stopped using their intelligence and logic would be the point at which they started acting in an immature fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity
I think maturity is emotional intelligence. Not logic.
But what is emotional intelligence, if not logic applied to matters about which one has strong feelings?

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:08 AM   #11
Apathy's_Child

Generally speaking, immaturity implies a lack of the reasoning associated with a developed mind; associated, but not synonymous with, age or experience. However, its meaning is often bastardized by those who find themselves on the losing end of an argument they simply can't back up, and who take relentless interrogation of an invalid or inadequately supported position as bullying. That's something we see a lot of here.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:10 AM   #12
a morbid curiosity

No, emotional intelligence is more like the ability to recognise others' and one's own emotions and take them into account before making a decision.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:15 AM   #13
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
No, emotional intelligence is more like the ability to recognise others' and one's own emotions and take them into account before making a decision.

Does it have anything to do with how considerate a person is of other's feelings? I mean, some people can take them into account and recognize them, but still just not care.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:25 AM   #14
crucifix

An adult is someone who can support themselves, no matter what there age. I have met 16 year old adults and 30 year old kids. It is all relative. Maturity is a completely different story. Maturity simply means, to me, that you are responsible, you think about consequences, and that you just act your age, honestly, more than anything. For example, if a 20 year old acts like a 20 year old and can take responsibility for themselves, they are mature, IMO. If a 20 year old acts like a highschooler but can still take responsibility for themselves, then they are not mature. To me, maturity always simply meant acting your age.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:31 AM   #15
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
It's also the ability to manage your own in a manner which isn't destructive. Your definition of assimilating the emotions of others into one's own worldview is a part of that, I think. An example of your definition suggests itself: You've had a long, shitty day, and want nothing more than a drink and some quality time with your couch. Your friend, however, has had an even shittier day, so you weigh up the emotional toll taken on both of you, and make time for them. This involves logic, a dispassionate weighing up of your respective emotional states, rather than the egocentric reasoning which would cause you to simply not return their call and disappear into your own whiskey-tinged world of no responsibility.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:34 AM   #16
Metabolik

Maturity is boring =]
Old 10-05-2008, 06:56 AM   #17
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
Could you give an example? I'd say that the point at which such an individual stopped using their intelligence and logic would be the point at which they started acting in an immature fashion.
I know people personally who are brilliant at arguing, seek out knowledge on their own, and have the skills to apply that knowledge.

These idiots also don't know how to function as adults in society, and are completely unable to take care of themselves.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:57 AM   #18
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsyMayhem

Does it have anything to do with how considerate a person is of other's feelings? I mean, some people can take them into account and recognize them, but still just not care.
I would think caring about the feelings would have nothing to do with the ability to detect them when it comes to measuring "emotional intelligence."
Old 10-05-2008, 06:59 AM   #19
JCC

Maturity is frigidity.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:47 AM   #20
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
I would think caring about the feelings would have nothing to do with the ability to detect them when it comes to measuring "emotional intelligence."

That makes perfect sense.
But I wonder, would being able to understand why an individual feels a certain emotion be a part of emotional intelligence? If a person is yelling and is red, I would assume they were angry (I think even a kindergartner could point out such a fact), but the thing I think that makes a definite indicator of emotional intelligence would be being able to understand and comprehend why an individual feels a certain way.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:02 AM   #21
Underwater Ophelia

I think the whole "emotional intelligence" thing is politically correct bullshit, so you're talking to the wrong person.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #22
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
From Merriam-Webster dot com:

Main Entry:
ma·ture

Etymology:
Middle English, from Latin maturus ripe; akin to Latin mane in the morning, manus good
Date:
15th century

1: based on slow careful consideration <a mature judgment>

2 a (1): having completed natural growth and development : ripe

(2): having undergone maturation
b: having attained a final or desired state <mature wine>
c: having achieved a low but stable growth rate <paper is a mature industry> d: of, relating to, or being an older adult : elderly <airline discounts for mature travelers>

3 a: of or relating to a condition of full development
b: characteristic of or suitable to a mature individual <mature outlook> <a show with mature content>

4: due for payment <a mature loan>

5: belonging to the middle portion of a cycle of erosion

(the last one was unexpected and funny!)

Notice that intelligence or emotion doesn't appear anywhere. Those are attributes of people, but are demonstrated in a wide range amongst people.
They develop at different rates from person to person.

At younger ages, intelligence may be used as a metric to determine arrested or normal development, say, a two year old who has a vocabulary of a dozen or more words may be said to be developing normally.

But when the person reaches adolescence, specialization begins, and the vocabulary is determined by the higher education and career that person follows. A civil engineer will have a vastly different vocabulary than a humanities major, so vocabulary may only be used in a limited sense to determine maturity. Other metrics must be used, but are more difficult to apply as they depend on subjective observations. "He is immature, she should grow up" may be said about individuals who are socially arrested, not limited by vocabulary, or have not been educated in manners and etiquette.

"When I was a child I spoke as a child

I understood as a child I thought as a child;

but when I became a man I put away childish things."

I Cor. xiii. 11

We can say "To put away childish things" means that we stop watching cartoons and start wearing fashion suitable for the workplace, but there are still immature people in their middle age who use childish ways to get what they want, even though they wear a suit and tie, they still use tactics such as "take my ball and go home" and "you made me first" etc.

People use what worked for them in the past, and as long as it still works, they will still use them, for the emotional payback, and those who are mature rise above it. I am not saying I am mature, I have head trips like everyone else, but "thinking like a child" can be said to be a hallmark of immaturity.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #23
Raptor

"I've a good mind to fill your shoes with runny porridge again. Teach you
a lesson about maturity"
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #24
onedarkly1

Can I have bread with my porridge, lol!
Old 10-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #25
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePaine
"When I was a child I spoke as a child

I understood as a child I thought as a child;

but when I became a man I put away childish things."

I Cor. xiii. 11
You dirty old pigfucker! I've been looking for that quote for ages!
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote