Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
GothicGeek

Hey...

I'm 24, black, and female.

I've always had alternative interests that make me stand out especially around here. I don't consider myself a full out goth; just some one who dabbles in it and I'm fine with it. I think I'm gothic enough to join this type of forum(and if I'm not, oh well. I've been called stuff like poser and hipster so many times anyway) and the nerd/fan forums are too hardcore for me(yet goth forums tend to not be so hardcore. Strange). Didn't think I'd ever join a forum, but I felt a need to chat with no strings attached.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
Well, I'm way more nerdy than gothic so I like computers, speculative fiction, anime/manga, video games etc.

I'm also artsy so drawing, writing, photography etc.

I'm a bookworm too so I'm almost always reading something whether it's a story or an encyclopedia.

I was recently laid off from my job, but I hated it anyway. I'm trying to make a career in the computer field, but I keep getting dead end jobs. So, I'm reluctantly preparing to go back to school in the spring to get my Bachelor's(I already have an Associate's in Computer Science).

2. Where are you from?
I'm very private and paranoid so I won't give my exact location, but I will say I'm from the south.

3. Who is your favorite author?
Don't have one.

4. What are your favorite films?
Don't have one.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
None, because I won't have a wedding. At least not a traditional one; I will wear the dress and the ring at small private ceremony, but I won't have it on paper and I won't change my last name.

6. At your funeral?
I'll be dead so it won't matter.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
The natural way; of old age in my sleep.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
Doesn't matter.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
Don't have one. I like all my clothes though some more than others.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
My childhood sucked, but I do miss not having major responsibilities.

11. What's your favorite band?
Don't have one.
GothicGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Welcome. I like that you chose Sam Manson as your avatar.
I find it odd that you call yourself a bookworm but don't mention a favorite author. If it is a matter of finding it difficult to pick only one, then who would be in your top 5 or 10?

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:27 AM   #3
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicGeek View Post

I've always had alternative interests that make me stand out especially around here. I don't consider myself a full out goth; just some one who dabbles in it and I'm fine with it. I think I'm gothic enough to join this type of forum(and if I'm not, oh well. I've been called stuff like poser and hipster so many times anyway) and the nerd/fan forums are too hardcore for me(yet goth forums tend to not be so hardcore. Strange). Didn't think I'd ever join a forum, but I felt a need to chat with no strings attached.
Lady you'll fit right in!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
Versus

Oh hi. And congratulations for getting HP's attention! He is the Colonel Trautman to my Rambo.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #5
Saya

It occurs to me that I bet HumanePain would be great for VtM
Old 05-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
Acharis

We're not really goths around here anymore... it's like a bunch of goths stumbled into a dark cave, mutated out of their original forms over the years and went Lord of The Flies.

It's awesome.

Welcome and hi.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
MissCheyenne

Welcome to G.Net. If no favourite author, what's your favourite genre of writing? I myself like mindless crime thrillers like the James Patterson books (excellent for a mindless read that doesn't take much time up) or fantasy like The Wheel of Time or The Rift War Saga

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
GothicGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post
Welcome. I like that you chose Sam Manson as your avatar.
I find it odd that you call yourself a bookworm but don't mention a favorite author. If it is a matter of finding it difficult to pick only one, then who would be in your top 5 or 10?
Yeah, even though me and Sam's personalities are practically night and day I can identify with her being an overall alternative girl who dabbles in goth, nerd, and hippie interests while still not feeling a need to be fully committed to it.

I'm just really that undecided that I don't even have a top 5/10 and to the other one, my favorite genre is romance, but not that Twilight crap; real romance.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Saya

Quote:
Yeah, even though me and Sam's personalities are practically night and day I can identify with her being an overall alternative girl who dabbles in goth, nerd, and hippie interests while still not feeling a need to be fully committed to it.

I'm just really that undecided that I don't even have a top 5/10 and to the other one, my favorite genre is romance, but not that Twilight crap; real romance.
Could you recommend good romances? The last one I tried was Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood and it emotionally killed me so I didn't even finish.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Oh hi. And congratulations for getting HP's attention! He is the Colonel Trautman to my Rambo.
Heh, funny you mention that: my son graduates from Army basic training this week as private first class. He comes home for a few weeks next month before his first assignment: a year in Korea.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
GothicGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Could you recommend good romances? The last one I tried was Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood and it emotionally killed me so I didn't even finish.
I haven't read any original romances lately, but I have been reading romance fanfiction if you're into that.

I've only recently gotten back into reading. My old job had me so busy and tired that all I felt like doing on my time off was watch TV.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
Versus

She loves fanfictions.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
Alan

Quote:
I don't consider myself a full out goth; just some one who dabbles in it and I'm fine with it. I think I'm gothic enough to join this type of forum
That's the right amount. The ones who take it too seriously are the ones we can't stand.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
AshleyO

I got nothing snarky to say.

Welcome to the forums. I'd offer you a Black and Mild in person, but eh...

You'll find that this place isn't really about goth that much. I mean... if you want exposure to the music and all, it's there. But the people here are well... we've grown up quite a bit. A lot of us have been here for years and we just kinda mellowed out or whatever.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
I got nothing snarky to say.

Welcome to the forums. I'd offer you a Black and Mild in person, but eh...

You'll find that this place isn't really about goth that much. I mean... if you want exposure to the music and all, it's there. But the people here are well... we've grown up quite a bit. A lot of us have been here for years and we just kinda mellowed out or whatever.
But maybe that's the gawfic thing to do?

But now my soul hath too much room —
Gone are the glory and the gloom —
The black hath mellow’d into grey,
And all the fires are fading away.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
MissCheyenne

Some 'yoofs' commented today on how 'goth' I looked, like they'd never seen anyone dressed like me before. Hey ho, I'm looking good.

Anyway, fanfiction? Never got into it myself, too many odd pairings for my liking. What kind of things do you like to draw GGeek? Is it something you'd like to pursue further or just a hobby to keep to yourself?

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #17
Miss Absynthe

Hi GothicGeek, and welcome. My name is Aby and it's lovely to meet you.

I'm going to have to check out Sam Manson person..
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #18
GothicGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
Anyway, fanfiction? Never got into it myself, too many odd pairings for my liking. What kind of things do you like to draw GGeek? Is it something you'd like to pursue further or just a hobby to keep to yourself?
Yeah, fanfiction is an acquired taste and I stay the hell away from that part of it. When I read fanfiction, I wanna read a story based on my favorite series; not some mockery of it.

I can only draw cartoons, characterchures, and overall surrealism(like, I can make something realistic look vague and dream like); but it's limited: I can't draw something without looking at it.

I did major in art at first in college, but I realized I wasn't skilled enough(I struggled to keep up with my classmates), didn't like how competitive it was(I'm not a competitive person) and the pressure it put on me, couldn't handle the lack of financial security like I thought, and that I prefer it as a hobby. I had a feeling art might not work out for me so I had computers as a back up.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:07 PM   #19
MarkJohnson00

Welcome to the community.
MarkJohnson00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
ape descendant

If the tr00bies are callin' you names, you're doing something very right. Welcome.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote