Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Dawnpaw

I would really like some help for a makeover

i'm 5' 6"?? i forget alot um a bit on the pudgy side but i still have a shape, brown skin almond shaped eyes that are brown,dark brown hair thats thick and short. (long in the front and practically buzz cut short on the sides and back) and the only clothing i have that comes close to goth is a lacy black dress and a freddy style sweater dress. I need new clothes so now is like a perfect time for some advice. oh i'm busty so i need large clothing usually a XL for my shirts
Dawnpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Versus

What, specifically, are you asking about?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Dawnpaw

oh sorry somewhere i can get clothing in my size other than hot topic. and maybe a type of clothing that would work well with my body shape....you know like people with big shoulders don't really where strapless, or if you have ugly toes you where closed toe shoes haha stuff like that.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Dawnpaw

I'm sorry for some reason ...i'm nervous. and when i'm nervous i just ramble on and on and forget the details xs
Old 03-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
Versus

Hrm. Not sure what the weather is like where you live, so my generic answer would be that you can't really go wrong with jeans and a button up shirt or something. Unless you're trying to go for a specific look?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
Solumina

Fun and interesting clothing can be found in just about every store, I've found awesome stuff everywhere from Target to designer boutiques (although these days I'm way too broke to buy designer stuff anywhere other than an outlet), you just have to keep an eye out and be willing to look in unexpected places.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Dawnpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Hrm. Not sure what the weather is like where you live, so my generic answer would be that you can't really go wrong with jeans and a button up shirt or something. Unless you're trying to go for a specific look?
well its Georgia is getting really hot.... but i guess your right I can attach some chains on the pants and maybe some stiches. and a iron design and studs on the shirts. anywhoes the look I would to get into is chains and layering with the fishnet sleeves and fingerless gloves. combat boots. I hope i'm not confusing the goth and punk styles
Old 03-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Dawnpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Fun and interesting clothing can be found in just about every store, I've found awesome stuff everywhere from Target to designer boutiques (although these days I'm way too broke to buy designer stuff anywhere other than an outlet), you just have to keep an eye out and be willing to look in unexpected places.
I know what you mean I hate that companies label our type of clothing as costumes.. making the prices high but then again the detail works are extensive...... can't win when you want to be different. But I get what your talking about I've seen stuff i could use for the style i want but they were ether in the kids size or to small in my age group
Old 03-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Solumina

A little trick is to get fairly basic clothes (which are cheap and easy to find) and go crazy with accessories, a white button up with black pants is pretty boring but throw on a corset belt and it totally changes the look to something that, with the right hair, makeup, and shoes, is perfectly suited for a goth club. You can also easily embellish things, just find something shiny/feathery/interesting and stick it wherever it looks good, if you like frills it is really easy to edge things with lace, if you like sparkle then stitch on a bunch of beads,, you just have to be careful when you wash the item. If you have crap sewing skills you can glue things on (this works especially well with jackets, heck you can even use acrylic paint on denim or leather, although it does seem to work better on veggie leather) or get fun broaches and pins.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
Dawnpaw

haha thanks for the tips. I have some sewing skills I made a pillow in middle school and a jacket out of some scrap fur for a mini pin for the winter but she fought whenever i tried to put it on so i never got a chance to see if i did it right.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:45 AM   #11
MissCheyenne

Best makeover advice I ever got was 'dress for the size you are, not the size you want to be'. Made me realise that it doesn't matter what size clothes I wear, I can still look nice if I buy the right things and make the effort to dress what I have instead of crying over what I'm not.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
Dawnpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
Best makeover advice I ever got was 'dress for the size you are, not the size you want to be'. Made me realise that it doesn't matter what size clothes I wear, I can still look nice if I buy the right things and make the effort to dress what I have instead of crying over what I'm not.
i know my mom keeps telling me that but its kinda hard to take when every i want isnt made for my body
Old 03-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
Dawnpaw

oh does anybody know where i can get stuff like chains and the D and O rings i know you can get spikes from hot topic
Old 03-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Solumina

If you want to get them in person a lot of fabric stores have them, you can also sometimes find them in craft stores, look in their jewelry or leatherworking sections. There are also bunches of places online where you can order them but there isn't any one in particular that jumps to mind.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 04-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Dawnpaw

ok thanks! well for the hair i was thinking about getting a toni and guy cut. what is the best dye for dark hair? I know I still have to bleach it, but whats the best umm dye i guess or which one would require less bleaching.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
MissCheyenne

Depends what kind of colour you want to dye your hair, how dark it already is and the condition it's in?

I am your slice of pie
Old 04-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
Dawnpaw

I was thinking of a sea-green or a forest green or blood red. its umm dark like the dark lines of a pecan! ^^ and i got it relaxed .....at least 2 weeks ago
Old 04-02-2012, 03:50 AM   #18
MissCheyenne

I know you have to wait for a while before bleaching if you've had treatments on your hair but I'm far from an expert on bleaching, I always managed to turn my own hair orange. I'd think though, to get it sea green you'd have to bleach it quite a lot, especially if it's really dark. Directions and stargazer are the two brands I personally used for colour though I don't know what you can get where you are.

I am your slice of pie
Old 04-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #19
Dawnpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
I know you have to wait for a while before bleaching if you've had treatments on your hair but I'm far from an expert on bleaching, I always managed to turn my own hair orange. I'd think though, to get it sea green you'd have to bleach it quite a lot, especially if it's really dark. Directions and stargazer are the two brands I personally used for colour though I don't know what you can get where you are.
Your right about the waiting part at least for somebody with hair my color because the hair has to be porous for the color to set. i think if your blonde you wouldn't have to bleach so much depending on the color your getting. I have umm manic panic at the hot topics and another one but i forgot and I saw a new brand directing towards the punk culture at a walmart. and some of the beauty stores have random stuff
Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #20
Dawnpaw

^^ I just found this dye They claim to be all natural and a cream base. I think i might like that better because I'll have more control with the application than a liquid base. they have alot of colors and lots of sample pics. I still have to bleach though.

http://www.angryyoungandpoor.com/sto...idCategory=435
Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #21
Versus

Angryyoungandpoor is pretty cool for DIY stuff.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #22
Dawnpaw

really? I can add it to my list i found some sites with spikes and studs for a decent amount for the price and i can go buy gloves hot topic spencer claires and the chains and such from craft stores.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #23
Dawnpaw

oh yes i have alot of blue jeans how can i "goth" them up a bit. I guess i could add chains.... but that seems kinda dull just some chains
Old 04-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #24
MissCheyenne

You could dye your jeans I suppose........you can get dye that goes in the washing machine with your clothes which is pretty easy to use, you usually just have to add salt to it which you can buy in pre measured packs, it's usually found with the dyes in craft shops and the like.

I am your slice of pie
Old 04-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #25
Dawnpaw

I want this style hopefully one day. And this coloring so hawt >.> for me... anyway.