Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:30 AM   #1
Tralis

Bauhaus saved my sanity

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
Mostly I am a student at UCLA studying History. I like to read, listen to music, watch entertainment, write short stories. I apologize if the desription of my hobies seems like the most generic ever. I work during my summers, but none of these have really come close to being careers.

2. Where are you from?
Lived the first 8 years of my life in Pennsylvania, lived the next 10 in Santa Barbara, CA. Last year I moved to LA to attend university.

3. Who is your favorite author?
I would find it difficult to name one. I like to read quite a bit. Lately I'm on an Anne Rice kick, but I would definitely not call her my favorite.

4. What are your favorite films?
My favorite is Dr. Strangelove, no question.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
I can't say I've given it a terrible amount of thought. I suppose I'll take the easy way out here and say I would mostly comply with what my wife would want.

6. At your funeral?
Carl Orff's "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
I would want my life to end in a blaze of glory, to end for some noble cause. I definitely would not want to get to the point where my body fails peice by peice, waiting to fizzle out quietly.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
I think I'd like to be cremated, honestly. See, it takes up less space and those dear to me can have me within their home.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
Well, a long black duster coat with a gentlemenly hat seems to suit me well.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
The feeling of newness and excitement everything had.

11. What's your favorite band?
If you had asked me a year ago I would have said Nine Inch Nails. Right now I'm at a point in my life where I'm tring to broaden my tastes.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
1 Year of undergraduate study at UCLA. I am majoring in History. After I get my bachelors I hope to go onto to Grad School.

13. Why did you join?
I am slowly identifying more and more with Gothic culture and wish to be connected to people who can help me in my soul searching. Also, common interests makes for good conversation.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Male.
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:38 AM   #2
Tralis

I wanted to add a bit more beyond the questions.I've always had a fancy for gothic fashion but never really had the gumption to dress that way myself. See, I was kind of a meretricious teenager, I'd mostly conform to my parents' desires while keeping my resentment buried. See, I didn't much reason in actually acting out rebellion, it was easier to just comply on the surface as be left alone. But I realized I'm sick of dressing like everyone else. I don't listen to the same music they do, I don't like the same movies they do. I certainly don't think like they do. I've always felt seperated from the culture around me, the culture that laughs at Jack Black or Will Ferrell, that listens to Gangster Rap without ever having set foot in the ghetto. Yet, I never had the courage to dress differently from them. Now I do. This summer I've also been exploring Goth Culture a little more deeply, listening to Bauhaus and The Sisters of Mercy (Both which I now love). I've been reading Rice and plan to go and read Bram Stoker and Byron soon after.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:27 AM   #3
viscus

Welcome to the boards! I live in Japan now, but I'm from Santa Barbara originally.

On the literary front, might I recommend the work of Neil Gaiman?

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:01 AM   #4
Minyaliel

Hey, welcome! How cute, a babybat =) Great to see that you´re digging deeper than the stereotype goth. I think you´re going to fit in here very nicely. Just be aware of the flamers - you might in some areas want to wear a fireproof suit. Apart from that, really looking forward to see you posting.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #5
Raptor

Welcome.

No fighting in the War Room.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
dabbadmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralis
I wanted to add a bit more beyond the questions.I've always had a fancy for gothic fashion but never really had the gumption to dress that way myself. See, I was kind of a meretricious teenager, I'd mostly conform to my parents' desires while keeping my resentment buried. See, I didn't much reason in actually acting out rebellion, it was easier to just comply on the surface as be left alone. But I realized I'm sick of dressing like everyone else. I don't listen to the same music they do, I don't like the same movies they do. I certainly don't think like they do. I've always felt seperated from the culture around me, the culture that laughs at Jack Black or Will Ferrell, that listens to Gangster Rap without ever having set foot in the ghetto. Yet, I never had the courage to dress differently from them. Now I do. This summer I've also been exploring Goth Culture a little more deeply, listening to Bauhaus and The Sisters of Mercy (Both which I now love). I've been reading Rice and plan to go and read Bram Stoker and Byron soon after.
But they're both funny =S

Anyway, welcome to GNet.
dabbadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
Fatbaby

Welcome. Dress as profoundly as you wish, your in college. It is the time to make bold statements.
Fatbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
a morbid curiosity

Salutations! You seem pretty intelligent. I'm sure you shall fit in here just fine.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
Evening Falls Around Us

Welcome to Gnet.

Most of you probably know this already but Bauhaus recently released their first studio recording since '83.
Evening Falls Around Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
Pantherlette086

Welcome to the boards!!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #11
Tralis

Thank you all for making me feel welcome!
I'll definitely check out Neil Gaiman. Where do you recomend I start?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #12
Xombie

Quote:
10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
The feeling of newness and excitement everything had.
Lies. You miss living in Pennsylvania.
REPRESENTTTT.
Anyway, you seem pretty cool. Stick around.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #13
viscus

Quote:
Thank you all for making me feel welcome!
I'll definitely check out Neil Gaiman. Where do you recomend I start?
I started with American Gods, which was brilliant, but Neverwhere and the Sandman series of comics (big in the Goth scene) are also very worthwhile.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #14
Solumina

Yay a baby bat that actually knows it is a baby bat! Welcome to the boards, you certainly seem like a nice addition.

I used to really like Anne Rice's books but my interest in them has severely waned in the past few years, now I'm much more of a fan of Philip Pullman and...god I think he is the only author I like who isn't dead...hm...there must be someone but my brain is only semi functional at the moment.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #15
Nocturne Midnight

Location: The center of the city where all roads meet, waiting for you.
Welcome. You seem intelligent, and sort of remind me of myself not one year ago. I hope you can find what you're looking for here.
Nocturne Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:36 AM   #16
NightmareInShiningArmour

Welcome
You're going to fit in well here.