Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-04-2009, 06:12 AM   #26
Underwater Ophelia

Anorexia is more a lifestyle choice than goth, though, haha.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #27
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Whuh? He didn't think goth?
I believe that immediately after I left he something along the lines of "why can't you be normal like her?"
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #28
Anima_Severem

I get it from my father All. The. Time.

And I don't even wear makeup or dye my hair at all.

It's just because I tend to be cynical, I sometimes have bouts of depression, and 90% of my clothes are black. And I didn't even pick out black because it makes me look more goth. I pick black because black goes with everything, deemphasizes my figure, and makes me look more professional. (90% of my stuff is black slacks and blazers)

He bases my goth diagnosis on my attitude mostly. I think he's just confusing goth with emo again.

Then again, I DID have a brief emo phase (fashion and music-wise) in high school. I was such a poseur back then.

Being sad all the time/depression, real or fake/fatalism/I <3 death =/= goth. Sure, we tend to be on the darker side but for God's sake we're not like that all the time.
Anima_Severem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #29
Pineapple_Juice

I'm not like that at all. I'm upbeat constantly and I'm never serious about anything. Also, death freaks me out. I read Stiff and got the creepy crawlies. "We" doesn't apply. My Specimen CDs tend to not offend, and I've never had anyone shy away from me because Nosferatu can be heard emanating from my headphones.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #30
Mr E Nigma

I get the reverse generally... I wouldn't consider myself goth. I mean I like Bauhaus and David Bowie. The Cure is okay... but for the most part I don't listen to that music, but people used to label me as such then bash me for it. When I try to simply express to them that bashing something that doesn't exist will forever be pointless... like bashing god, (That one works well on christians, 'cause it makes them think I'm siding with them) or bashing mythical creatures or fictional stories. Say whatever fucked up shit about it you want, it really doesn't matter or mean much in the end.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #31
prophecyofdoom

One person? Many, many people have given me shit about my appearance, tastes, and lifestyle. I am so, so tired of other people inflicting their unasked-for opinions upon me. I just tune them out now. They are a distant, unpleasant noise in the far background of my life.

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #32
drewsilla

People around here are used to the way I dress. If they don't like it they can suck it.
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #33
the-nihilist

Sometimes people say to me, "I think you should smile more <the-nihilist's real name>", but I just don't feel like it.
the-nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #34
Schazmyrrh

I've had a number of people ask me about my preferences and taste. If I sense that they are looking for a good conversation, then, I actually take the time to talk to them otherwise I just smile and shrug them off. But always it was just 'asking', I've never experienced any bashing or rudeness.
Schazmyrrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #35
Schazmyrrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-nihilist View Post
Sometimes people say to me, "I think you should smile more <the-nihilist's real name>", but I just don't feel like it.
Same here. I actually find it funny when people point out that I look so serious or glum and I didn't even try. I mean, I normally don't go about places wearing a big grin on my face for no reason- I find people who do that weird. But that's just me, I suppose.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #36
prophecyofdoom

I always get that, people telling me to smile. I loathe it. It's not that I never smile, it's that I only smile when I have a genuine reason to do so. I used to know someone who'd paste a big fake smile all the time when people were looking, and when this person thought no one was looking they'd look irritated annoyed, and then they'd realize someone was looking and out would come the fake smile again. *shudders* I want to be as little like that person as possible. It is not that I never smile socially for the purpose of making others feel at ease in my presence. But if I am troubled, thoughtful, or otherwise distracted I do not need to hide behind a fake smile. Let people ask me what's on my mind, if they want to, but it annoys me when someone just comes up and says "smile!!"

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #37
Her_of_the_flesh

I get it all of the time but on a positive note people also compliment on how goths dress and I guess it is good to hear that sometimes. But usually I ignore, comes with the territory.
Her_of_the_flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #38
Darcnyss

It's been years since anyone harassed me about my taste in clothing and music, even though I think my current style of clothing and makeup is way more over the top than the years I did get harassed. Go figure.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #39
ArchLich

"being a goth" is about being yourself. To label yourself pretty much goes against everything the gothic culture stands for. Just do what you feel and speak what you think. Its about self expression and freedom. Usually whenever someone thinks "goth", they think black clothing, makeup, blood, fangs, death, the works. That my friend is a stereotype, and I truly hate stereotypes. So, what is goth? Goth is a culture of individuals trying to fit in a world that doesnt accept them for who they are. We band together to find social serenity.
ArchLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:28 AM   #40
badteccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
The time I actually feel happy is when I don't think about "what is being goth?" I mean, it is a lifestyle choice right?
Are you stupid? Subcultures aren't "lifestyle choices", ever.

It's stuff you happen to like, that's all.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #41
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchLich View Post
"being a goth" is about being yourself. To label yourself pretty much goes against everything the gothic culture stands for. Just do what you feel and speak what you think. Its about self expression and freedom. Usually whenever someone thinks "goth", they think black clothing, makeup, blood, fangs, death, the works. That my friend is a stereotype, and I truly hate stereotypes. So, what is goth? Goth is a culture of individuals trying to fit in a world that doesnt accept them for who they are. We band together to find social serenity.
No, it isn't, it's about a style of music from the late 70s and the 80s and has somehow taken on an entirely different meaning in the common misconceptions of the alienated teenager.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #42
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
You're a stereotypical mallgoth kid who has the wrong idea about a music based subculture and is so butchering it with his misconceptions.

Also, the stuff JCC said.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:56 AM   #43
Duane

There's not many people in this town that even know what 'Goth' is. Most think it's just being depressed, and being a HT Drone.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #44
Ebbhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
No, it isn't, it's about a style of music from the late 70s and the 80s and has somehow taken on an entirely different meaning in the common misconceptions of the alienated teenager.
<3

Also, see here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=goth%20logic
Ebbhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #45
Schazmyrrh

Quote:
Goth is a culture of individuals trying to fit in a world that doesnt accept them for who they are. We band together to find social serenity.
Why oh why do you keep implying that goths are outcasts and social misfits? Seriously, you make it sound like we're some other life form. I get along pretty well with people who don't even consider themselves goth.