Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #26
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex
Thank You for the reply. I don't know. Maybe I'm mixed up. When I see a band like combichrist or zombie girl I've always thought of gothic culture. If its not what is it?
Sorry bro, but you are pretty mixed up. Nightmare and Minyaliel gave healthy band reccomendations.

As for tripp and other "gothic" brands: wear whatever the fuck you feel like. If you want to wear gaudy tripp pants, go ahead. Tripp stuff usually falls apart pretty quick, but whatevs.

As for skinny jeans: thats what I thought as well, but I was pleasantly surprised. They are quite comfy.

As for goth "fashion" in general: Good ol' punk ethics. DIY DIY DIY DIY!

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:13 AM   #27
Sephiroth Kali

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
All goth really is is clothes and music....
/wrists

opps. Wrong Board...
Sephiroth Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:30 AM   #28
Sephiroth Kali

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour

These bands aren't particularly goth and we won't flame you for liking them. I like a few of those.

Look for these:
Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Cure
The Cruxshadows (love em)
Bauhaus (must download Bela Lugosi's Dead, best song by them!)
Alien Sex Fiend
Christian Death
Joy Division
Sex Gang Children
and many more...

Who the hell would recommend FALL OUT BOY on this forum? Anyone who does should just leave before we send someone around your house...

*bows*
I knew The Cruxshadows sounded familiar! Their from my hometown! Although theirs no way those hot chicks are from Tally.

*looks it up*

NO WAY
Old 09-01-2008, 03:26 AM   #29
DravenCherry

I would Recommend Ludwig van Beethoven and other classical artists, Redex.
DravenCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:46 AM   #30
Noirette

Quote:
Originally Posted by DravenCherry
I would Recommend Ludwig van Beethoven and other classical artists, Redex.
I would have recommended them too, but what do they have to do with goth, anyway?

(Chopin's nocturnnes are amazing. And Pergulesi's "Stabat Mater" is nice also.)
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:48 AM   #31
NightmareInShiningArmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth Kali
/wrists

opps. Wrong Board...
xD haha nice one.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:21 AM   #32
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noirette
I would have recommended them too, but what do they have to do with goth, anyway?

(Chopin's nocturnnes are amazing. And Pergulesi's "Stabat Mater" is nice also.)
Um, it´s spelled Pergolesi. Sorry, it´s compulsive, couldn´t help stop myself from correcting you. Anyway, I´ve sung parts of that piece of genious, and still think it´s great (which usually means it is amazing and worth a listen). Classical music is often goth friendly, and has inspired many gothic songs, but it isn´t goth itself. Still, that´s part of the connection between the genres.

On the topic of Beethoven, check out the opera he wrote. It´s an extremely interesting work.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #33
Sephiroth Kali

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour
xD haha nice one.
I try, nightmare. I try.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #34
Splintered

Quote:
1. Can I get Tripp like pants without the huge leg openings (I feel like I would be tripping over them a lot).
Yes.

Quote:
2. Are Tripp pants easier to walk in than I imagine?
I don't know. What do you imagine?

Quote:
3. Is hot topic my only option or are there other stores that carry Gothic style clothing?
Yes! Anything can work, if you make it.

Spencer's has some neat clothing. There are also random shops depending where you are, that might have something that'll interest you.

Quote:
4. Should I get shoes or boots and what kind?
You can answer this one for yourself: Which do you like more?

Quote:
5 I'm prone to wear a backwards baseball cap. Would this work with a Goth Style outfit? If not what style of hat should I get if any?
What's your definition of Goth? Everyone seems to have their own these days. If it fits with your definition, then sure! I'm sure you could mod them somehow.

Quote:
6. Are piercings/tattoos really necessary?
Why would they be necessary?

Quote:
7. What accessories should I get? (necklace/collar/arm bands/etc.)
What accessories do you like? Get those.

Quote:
8. Any other tips on shirt/pants/shoes/hat/accessories/etc?
Tips?
Yeah, if you like it, wear it. If you don't like it, don't wear it.

Quote:
9. What am I forgetting???
That Goth has no set definition. All definition of Goth is opinion, as much as saying that all "Gangsters" have to wear a clock as a necklace, all Preps have to wear a suit, tie, and slacks, and all Hippies have to dyed shirts.

Quote:
12. Since you might recommended bands I will share mine
Agalloch, Cryptopsy, Dark Tranquillity, E Nomine, Iced Earth, Mercenary, Rotting Christ, Scar Symmetry, and Therion.

They aren't Goth. Hell, they aren't really even related. But, you might like them. And that is what is important.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #35
TheBloodEternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
Agalloch, Cryptopsy, Dark Tranquillity, E Nomine, Iced Earth, Mercenary, Rotting Christ, Scar Symmetry, and Therion.
Oh I love Dark Tranquility and Rotting Christ, can't say I like Iced Earth though. What do you think I would I think of the others?

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #36
Splintered

Agalloch is a really doom/folkish metal. They're very good if you like a lot of acoustic guitar, but a "metal" voice where clean vocals would be. Cryptopsy is the heaviest of the bunch. They're heavier then Rotting Christ, and much heavier then DT. E Nomine is the most different of the bunch. One of other members here (I think it was Jillian) mentioned them. I like them, but they don't sound anything like the rest.

Mercenary and Scar Symmetry are really similiar, although Scar Symmetry's vocalist is the better, by far (Mercenary is actually on DT's and Rotting Christ's fromer label, Century Media, and Scar Symmetry is on DT's sister label, Nuclear Blast). Mercenary is more thrash/power metalish, Scar Symmetry is more Melodic Death Metal. They're like a much faster paced, sharper DT. Therion is pretty interesting; they're like Iced Earth, with vocals similiar to a deeper Rotting Christ.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #37
TheBloodEternity

Hmm, I will check out E Nomine and Scar Symmetry. Doesn't sound like I will like the rest though.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #38
Calypso

Quote:
Quote:
Tips?
Yeah, if you like it, wear it. If you don't like it, don't wear it.

Quote:
That Goth has no set definition. All definition of Goth is opinion, as much as saying that all "Gangsters" have to wear a clock as a necklace, all Preps have to wear a suit, tie, and slacks, and all Hippies have to dyed shirts.
Ditto, subscribe to any part of the culture you want. IMO, you don't have to dress like X, or only listen to Y. Goth as I see it is more than just the music, the clothes, and while it isn't undefinable, you certainly can't squeeze it into such a small and superficial box.
Calypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:57 PM   #39
Noirette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
If you want to break your addiction to the mainstream, then DIY, support and improve your local music scene so that it's not a place for the bullshit clique of "scene kids", stop depending on the entertainment industry for fun (assuming you do), start learning for the sake of learning, and try to do things you had never thought of doing before like learning a new instrument or even going dumpster diving.
These above things are not goth (save for the first one), my point is that "breaking from the mainstream" is much, MUCH more than changing your outfit.
You are probably the most inspiring person I've ever had the luck to meet.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #40
Noirette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
Um, it´s spelled Pergolesi. Sorry, it´s compulsive, couldn´t help stop myself from correcting you. Anyway, I´ve sung parts of that piece of genious, and still think it´s great (which usually means it is amazing and worth a listen). Classical music is often goth friendly, and has inspired many gothic songs, but it isn´t goth itself. Still, that´s part of the connection between the genres.

On the topic of Beethoven, check out the opera he wrote. It´s an extremely interesting work.
Thank you for correcting me.

I'm singing parts of it now. It's hard but it's so beautiful, so that's worth it.
I didn't know Beethoven wrote an opera. How is it called?
Old 09-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #41
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
Oh I love Dark Tranquility and Rotting Christ, can't say I like Iced Earth though. What do you think I would I think of the others?
Everything on that list is pretty good, except Cryptopsy, which are shit imo.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:04 AM   #42
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
The reason I'm doing this is because I'm tired of wearing Hollister and American Eagle and want to try something different. I've always been drawn to Gothic fashion and now I want to take the plunge. Where should I start? I've been observing brands like Tripp and Lip Service.

This may or may nor be relevant but I'm a 6 feet 2 inches male with a 32 inch waste. Usually I where a large shirt. Shoes size is a 12 us.

1. Can I get Tripp like pants without the huge leg openings (I feel like I would be tripping over them a lot).

3. Is hot topic my only option or are there other stores that carry Gothic style clothing?

5 I'm prone to wear a backwards baseball cap. Would this work with a Goth Style outfit? If not what style of hat should I get if any?

10. Thank you very much for helping me break my addiction to the main stream!!!

11. I am not looking for an emo look! I very much despise everything emo. The music, the sadness, the art style.

12. Since you might recommended bands I will share mine.

Nine Inch Nails
KMFDM,
Combichrist
Zombie Girl
Rob Zombie
Modulate
Slipknot
Skinny Puppy
and many more...

(To the people who recommend Fall Out Boy: I might like them if they could Sing, play instruments, put on a decent show, not cry every time a girl dumps them etc...)

I appreciate the skinny jeans idea but aren't they uncomfortable? Maybe I'll warm up to them but for right now normal to baggy pants is what I'm going for.
Dude, I'll make your life really easy and really cheap. Want a cool look that doesn't buy into the aberzombie and won't get you flamed by these pretentious fuckheads? It's easy:

Get a pair of combat boots. Shit, especially in the south, you ought to have a few army surplus stores. Get some good combat boots, if you can get steel toe, do it. Next, go to thrift stores, buy some jeans. Blue, black, doesn't really matter, whatever looks nice on ya that is comfortable. Next, go to a thrift store/department store for some plain shirts, usually black, or go to Hot Topic and get some band shirts of whatever you like. Next, since it does get rather cold in winter, go to a thrift store and look for a good leather jacket. The reason I say thrift store is that leather jackets are expensive anywhere. If you find nothing that tickles your fancy, the cheapest place I've honestly seen leather jackets at is Amazon.com. You throw on your boots and jeans (tuck the boots or don't, up to you) throw on a band T or a plan T, and in winter throw on your leather jacket. Get some good sunglasses and there. You're comfortable, you don't look like an aberzombie, you express your musical taste, and if anyone doesn't like it, give em a bash with the steel toe waffle stompers.

Cheers mate.
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:07 AM   #43
mithearwen

Quote:
Agalloch is SO GOOD.
mithearwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:15 AM   #44
Splintered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
Everything on that list is pretty good, except Cryptopsy, which are shit imo.
But they are so metal! I mean, they're heavier metal then heavy metal! They're like... Palladium, or some shit.

Anyway. If you're going to listen to Cryptopsy, start with Once Was Not, and don't go forward with them. In fact, don't really go back either. They band has changed musicians so many times, it's like a different band each album.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:26 AM   #45
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noirette
Thank you for correcting me.

I'm singing parts of it now. It's hard but it's so beautiful, so that's worth it.
I didn't know Beethoven wrote an opera. How is it called?
Yeah, the fact is not very well known. The opera´s called "Fidelio"; it isn´t that hard to obtain a recording of it in my experience.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #46
DeathToLems

If you're planning on going from mainstream to total goth look I would do it slowly. People might not understand and start saying shit about you. Your family might start asking stupid questions.
It's taken me about 3 years to start dressing goth.
Oh and when I bought my first Gothic style boots I fell in love with them the moment I saw them and knew I had to get them even if it cost me £115.

Bottom line
if you see something you like. Try it out, if it suits your body shape keep it. If not try something else.
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #47
sweetdreamr23

I have Tripp pants that are skinny legged and they're my favorite. I suppose there are some for guys out there too. Otherwise Lip Service as you've already checked out is incredible. There are a wide variety of Gothic brands out there and I'm sure if you look on the internet there are too many to choose from. Making your own or modifying clothes is a great way to not look like you walked out of the mall and it's also a great way to make clothes your own so that they fit to your liking. There are so many different styles of gothic clothing too. So, you'd really have to go with whatever fits your tastes. Everyone is different.
sweetdreamr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #48
Kij.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
Enough that I'd rather drink paint than go over it again
Haha, I second that.
Kij. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #49
Stabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered View Post
But they are so metal! I mean, they're heavier metal then heavy metal! They're like... Palladium, or some shit.

Hilarious...

(Honestly I lul'd)

Last edited by Stabby; 06-18-2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: sounded unintentionally sarcastic
Stabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #50
Zabijej

Quote:
Yes, they come in skinny/pegged versions. It's fairly simple, though, to get plain black pants, peg the legs (make them skinny), and sew a bunch of zippers and straps and rings to them...probably save you more money too.

Quote:
Just like any other pants, except when the cuffs are wet from rain, you step on a waxed linoleum floor and your foot goes out from under you...

Quote:
EVERYWHERE is an option for gothic clothing. Every store has some kind of basic black that you can either wear as-is or customise. Opinions may differ, but I'm from the "school" of saving your uber-gothy stuff for the club and wearing more subdued things if you're just around.

Quote:
For guys, the army navy store is your freeeeind. They have inexpensive boots, and I'm rather fond of the patent leather oxford shoes they have.

Quote:
Baseball caps aren't really goth, to be honest, but you're young and I don't see a reason you should up and burn all your baseball caps just because they're not goth. Consider, though, getting something a bit more eccentric to put on your head - top hats are good but expensive, bowlers and fedoras are good and I know mall stores sell fedoras, but generally any weird black hat will do if you absolutely must have a hat.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
To be honest, there are very few guys who can pull off a collar. For starters, a nice pendant on a chain would be a good place to start - a cross or pentegram, or just something that appeals to you. As tempting as it seems to buy the $20 giant pentegram necklace from Spencers, please don't - save your money and buy something classy from the jewelery case. A nice ring is also something to have and it can be something as plain as a silver band to a fancy knuckle-to-knuckle jeweled cuff ring.

Quote:
Your hair speaks volumes about you. Don't just let it...exist there. You don't necessarily need a really avant garde hairstyle, but keep what you have washed and style it. You can be goth as fuck, but if you have bedhead with 6 inches of light brown roots, you'll look stupid.

Quote:
You'll figure it out

Quote:
10. Thank you very much for helping me break my addiction to the main stream!!!
You're welcome.

Quote:
11. I am not looking for an emo look! I very much despise everything emo. The music, the sadness, the art style.
Goth =/= emo. They are not the same

Quote:
12. Since you might recommended bands I will share mine.
Keep listening to whatever you like, but keep expanding your tastes and remember just because it isn't popular doesn't mean it isn't good

http://www.metal-archives.com/ - is a good place I know of to find new metal bands based on things you already like.
http://www.darkdb.com/eklein/ - a place to find new goth or industrial bands
Zabijej is offline   Reply With Quote