Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Blue_Ballerina

My Introductory Monologue

Hi,
I'm Blue_Ballerina, and I'm from Southern California and I'm 26.

I've been to this site many times in the past (when I was getting deeper into the scene back in college) but I just revisited it again and thought, why not register and get to know some people?

I've been into Goth Culture since about 13-14 and have had my ups and downs with it. Mostly ups but sometimes the issue of racism lead me down the path of wanting to leave the subculture all together so if you're a fan of that type of thought..just fly away with the wind, Blind Bat.

I'm one of those people that isn't big on calling people "the p word" because I think it's just judgmental and relative to the state at which a person is in their development. The person using the word is obviously at a rather immature stage of development in their own growth as well, to be name calling like a child.

I like to do ballet (obviously), modern dance, belly dance, and hula. I LOVE Astrophysics (curious? We'll talk), and some of my favorite music is Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie and The Banshees & The Creatures, The Cure, Unto Ashes, Voltaire, Dead Can Dance, Kraftwerk, Moby, Late Night Alumni (I know...shut up), Bjork, Sounds from the Ground, Bach, Mozart, Zoe Keating among others.

So want to know something shocking? I am a Christian Goth. :-O OMG! Yes yes, I love Christ. *gothic scene blasphemy* Well, God created bats too right? I guess this makes me a vampire and a cannibal because I drink the blood of Christ and eat his flesh. *giggles* What? Not snooty about it though because I have a past. I'm not perfect no one is (besides Him) and at one point during my HS years I fooled with Wicca for about 9 years. But it totally messed with my head so I left it behind. Hard decision? Yes.

Anyway, if you want to know more about me. Ask.
Blue_Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
BourbonBoy

Welcome to the boards. Ballet and astrophysics? Cool
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Miss Absynthe

You have an excellent avatar.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Blue_Ballerina

Thank you BurbonBoy! Yes, I am currently working on a theory that explains whether or the universe is infinate, how to navigate deep space reguardless of the Cosmological Constant, and new ways to save fuel when travelling through deep space (since you won't be able to refuel from Earth. I am also working on a way to synthesize water. As far as ballet, I train at a place called Millennium Dance Complex, which is pretty prestigious in my area. I see you are a fellow artist, what type of things do you like to illustrate?

Thank you Miss Absynthe, from the posts I have read where you commented you seem cool as hell. Love the name btw. What type of Absinthe do you like to drink? I just tried some for the first time a couple of years ago. The stuff is pretty hard to get...well...rather expensive. And finding people to drink it with is not worth the labor. So many people here are lack the culture to do said acts of elegance. The scene in LA is dying.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
Versus

Hey. Welcome. You should talk about astrophysics. I'm secretly curious.

Also, preferred gender pronoun?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Ballerina View Post
Thank you Miss Absynthe, from the posts I have read where you commented you seem cool as hell. Love the name btw. What type of Absinthe do you like to drink? I just tried some for the first time a couple of years ago. The stuff is pretty hard to get...well...rather expensive. And finding people to drink it with is not worth the labor. So many people here are lack the culture to do said acts of elegance. The scene in LA is dying.
Thank you, that's kind of you to say. It's lovely to meet you.

There is a wonderful Absinthe Salon in Sydney.. amazing atmosphere, and the sort of place that you could just spend an entire Sunday afternoon relaxing and reading with friends.

My favourite is Jade Nouvelle Orleans, but it's difficult to get here and more than a little pricey. Lemercier is quite lovely as well. I'm a bit of a fan of the French absinthes, although there are a couple of Czech bottles that I like - as unpopular as that idea might be.

I'm actually changing my name to Absynthe - I rather hate my actual name, and when I was asking my dad about it (I decided that if he had picked my name then I wouldn't change it out of respect to him), he said that I should pick something that makes me happy. I said that absinthe makes me *very* happy.. so he suggested if I change it to Absynthe then I can use Aby for short.. which I really like.

=^.^=
Old 09-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Blue_Ballerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post

There is a wonderful Absinthe Salon in Sydney.. amazing atmosphere, and the sort of place that you could just spend an entire Sunday afternoon relaxing and reading with friends.

My favourite is Jade Nouvelle Orleans, but it's difficult to get here and more than a little pricey. Lemercier is quite lovely as well. I'm a bit of a fan of the French absinthes, although there are a couple of Czech bottles that I like - as unpopular as that idea might be.

I'm actually changing my name to Absynthe - I rather hate my actual name, and when I was asking my dad about it (I decided that if he had picked my name then I wouldn't change it out of respect to him), he said that I should pick something that makes me happy. I said that absinthe makes me *very* happy.. so he suggested if I change it to Absynthe then I can use Aby for short.. which I really like.

=^.^=
Ahh Sydney, I always wanted to visit Australia. I dated a guy who was from Sydney. Aussie men are so hot. I wish we had places like that here in LA. I mean there is a bar called Bar Sinister that serves absinthe at ridiculous prices and I heard it isn't even that good. I've yet to visit Bar Sinister; it's in Hollywood (of course) which is like a train ride, bus ride, and a subway away from the desert I live in.

Lemercier has 72% alcohol! Wow, you can drink your ass off. Since your last post I was thinking of getting a bottle for my Sister's 20th birthday. But she's only 20 and really stick thin so 72% would floor her! I was thinking Absinthe Original Innocent since it is only 45% alcohol and that is the bare minimum. Still 35% thujone though. Last time I drank it we used the Czech method to louche and it was okay. I'm thinking I'll try the French method this time and actually do something creative. I am afterall an artist.

Absynthe is a beautiful name and Aby is cute too! I didn't like my first name for a while either. People used to use it to insult me. For a while I went by Jade but when I grew up I decided to leave that name behind and go by my middle name Star. But now I just go by my first name, Cynitta; the insults no longer phase me.

Thank you Versus, it's nice to meet you.
Hmmm, astrophysics, I don't want to give away too much because I don't want anyone getting wild ideas about taking my work but I'll tell you about one of my most interesting and hard to prove ideas:about whether or not the universe is infinite. I've come to the conclusion that the universe is relatively both finite and infinite. Since the universe is expanding at the rate of 7.1 + 2.5 km/s/Mps (Hubble Constant) it is finite at time t given that time t occurs at some point during the expansion of the universe and infinate because space-time are one continuum (Einstien's Relativity) and time goes on to infinity. Also because you can break up any number into an infinate number of pieces. Time t is the local maximum and infinity is the absolute maximum.
What do you think? Do you agree?

Ah, and my gender is female. My name is Cynitta! XD
Old 09-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
Versus

I was more curious in how you resolve being a Christian with your work. I just realized, now, that I hadn't specified. Whoops. I should stay away from my phone at work.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
Saya

Hello and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
I was more curious in how you resolve being a Christian with your work. I just realized, now, that I hadn't specified. Whoops. I should stay away from my phone at work.
This semester I'm studying Christians scientists who reconcile their work with their religion. I should read to you tonight!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
Versus

What a happy coincidence.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
Blue_Ballerina

Well, I see you have read my thread on Eternal Life. That whole little thing is how I reconcile my work with Christianity. It's quite complex because it requires a lot of thought and I am a little dense, thankfully. But more so it takes analytical and critical thinking of putting puzzle pieces of history, science, math and biblical literature together. I don't discount people for their beliefs either because this is what got a lot of my people flamed and I am more peaceable than that. I guess you could say I look at the whole picture before coming to any conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Hello and welcome!

This semester I'm studying Christians scientists who reconcile their work with their religion. I should read to you tonight!
Hello Saya! I would love for you to read to me! Are you an anthropologist? Or what field are you studying?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
Versus

Quote:
Well, I see you have read my thread on Eternal Life. That whole little thing is how I reconcile my work with Christianity. It's quite complex because it requires a lot of thought and I am a little dense, thankfully. But more so it takes analytical and critical thinking of putting puzzle pieces of history, science, math and biblical literature together. I don't discount people for their beliefs either because this is what got a lot of my people flamed and I am more peaceable than that. I guess you could say I look at the whole picture before coming to any conclusions.
I don't usually see that approach from many people. I always imagined that adding more variables that are required to be true decreased the probability of something occurring. Like, adding moving parts increases that chance of a failure.

How would you reconcile that conflict in the absence of information?

Quote:
Hello Saya! I would love for you to read to me! Are you an anthropologist? Or what field are you studying?
Her major is religious studies.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
BourbonBoy

Quote:
Thank you BurbonBoy! Yes, I am currently working on a theory that explains whether or the universe is infinate, how to navigate deep space reguardless of the Cosmological Constant, and new ways to save fuel when travelling through deep space (since you won't be able to refuel from Earth. I am also working on a way to synthesize water. As far as ballet, I train at a place called Millennium Dance Complex, which is pretty prestigious in my area. I see you are a fellow artist, what type of things do you like to illustrate?
I've mostly been a dabbler when it comes to Astrophysics since a lot of the mathematical is a little too complicated for myself, but I've found it to be a very interesting subject. It seems like a logical conclusion to me that the universe would be infinite since it's always expanding. I think it was about the time the Hubble was launched that we thought we had a grasp on how many galaxies there were, but once the telescope could peer even further into deep space it gave us an idea of how much more there was out there.

I normally illustrate night people or random city skylines at night, combining the two on occasion. The cities are normally in a steampunk fashion and pretty dark. Unfortunately I've been in a bit of writers block for some time now so I'll just sketch something on occasion.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
Versus

It kind of depends on if the rate of expansion accelerates or if the average density is enough to slow that acceleration.

If the expansion gets faster, the popular idea is that eventually star formation will be impossible as distance between structures and superstructures diminishes, proton decay will get rid of the trash left over from those future stars that still exist, and black holes will deteriorate as well, bringing the universe to a uniformal level of boring.

If expansion slows down because it can't reach an escape velocity greater then average density of stuff's attraction, what's left of the universe is supposed to collapse on itself into a big black hole.

Or something.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #15
BourbonBoy

Ah, you mean the Big Crunch.

Check this out, these guys made a quick page describing it.

http://www.exitmundi.nl/bigcrunch.htm
Old 09-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourbonBoy View Post
Ah, you mean the Big Crunch.

Check this out, these guys made a quick page describing it.

http://www.exitmundi.nl/bigcrunch.htm
Nightmare fodder aside. It's amazing how much you can learn from watching Futurama episodes. lol.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
Blue_Ballerina

Well that isn't the end of my theory. Based on limits (which I didn't add here because it gets a little complex and I don't know how much math you know, nor do I want my proof stolen) I prove that after the big crunch there is infinite repetition. Like your article says Bourbonboy. Yes you are right Versus, critical density plays a big part but we already know the expansion rate of the universe thanx to the Hubble Constant and observing Cepheid Galaxies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
I don't usually see that approach from many people. I always imagined that adding more variables that are required to be true decreased the probability of something occurring. Like, adding moving parts increases that chance of a failure.

How would you reconcile that conflict in the absence of information?

Her major is religious studies.
Well, it does that's why you use the contradiction method of approach. You assume one thing, then logically deduce things from that assumption based on facts gathered and if you reach a contradiction then you know that the first thing you assumed is false. That's how we isolate the variable.

In the absence of information then I go to the scientific method of conducting an experiment and finding the information out myself. All I need to know about God is in the bible according to my faith and his words that nothing more is needed to added or taken away from to the bible otherwise there are curses and plagues. So, science is the only empty piece and we figure that anything that is observable in the universe can be studied by our methods. Of course I keep an open mind that our scientific method may be expanded upon in the future for various reasons, but still everything is pretty solid for the questions we have in mind at the moment.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #18
Miss Absynthe

So.. if the universe is constantly expanding and collapsing, then that must mean that there are edges to it and it doesn't just go on forever.

So, at any one point in time one can say that the universe is n big because the borders to it are here, here and here.. and therefore not infinite?
Old 09-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
Blue_Ballerina

yes and no. Because an edge means that you CAN'T go on any further but since it is constantly in motion that is untrue. And the rate at which it is expanding (which of course is speeding up) is so fast you would never be able to experience a so called edge. I mean in 2010 it was 71.1 + 2.5 km/s/Mps. Some scientists prefer to say that the universe is finite yet unbounded. In otherwords it's absolute maximum is infinity...same thing I said