Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #2751
Saya

I'm writing a paper and its just not writing itself Its only supposed to be four pages, but damn I'm having trouble. I'm arguing that while same sex parenting has gained acceptablility in recent times, we still have a long way to go.

Usually I'm really good at long winded arguments, and yet I'm in two pages and done.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #2752
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Have you said all the super-obvious things yet? :P

I remember having to do a 16 page paper about historiated capitals in a couple Cluniac monasteries. All my screen prints that term had medieval themes.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #2753
Saya

I'm trying not to be super obvious or have much filler because its supposed to be no more than four pages double spaced. I just changed my thesis statement a bit so there's more room for my personal opinion. Now I can rant for a few pages! And I realized I had my font size ten, when its supposed to be twelve. So I got more done than I thought.

I just wish I could say "this guy is a homophobic asshole". But I guess it covers more space by saying "this author has a heteronormative bias".
Old 10-19-2010, 10:56 PM   #2754
Fruitbat

Saya, the paper sounds interesting.

Ah a thread about nothing pretty much describes my day. Babybat is teething, so we aren't sleeping well at night and just slept for 4 hours, so getting him to sleep tonight is going to be difficult.

Oh and I'm watching the 80's knight rider and little bat is saying "oh, nooo" which sums up the TV show nicely.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #2755
Delkaetre

If Methadrine or any of the other tech-heads still lurk here, one of them should advise me on the following:

I am going to take Machinae, my laptop, off Windows. I will make a full backup and have a spare install disc to hand just in case anything goes wrong. But I am still choosing my new OS. I am torn between Linux Mint and Kubuntu. There may be other cute, easy-to-use, low-maintenance OSs out there, but those two have particularly grabbed my attention.

Which one do I use?

(oh, also - still living in Central London, still with the Gent- two years of him now!- the current job is 9-10 hours per day plus 3 hour daily commute for low wage and no benefits hence my lack of online activity, and I have discovered that I can get the majority of recipes right first time around with no wastage. My food is delicious. I have also discovered Salmiakki Royal and Terva Snappsi, and decided that I love Finnish booze)
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #2756
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Use VMware 4.1 then you can run Windows, Linux, Solaris x86 whatever simultaneously and have the best of all worlds, and with NPIV you can even map virtual HBAs to the guest VM.
EDIT: Oh and plus restoring is a snap...pardon the pun.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #2757
≈Mortal•Mælstrom≈

I almost killed off two players characters last night. I only managed to give them extreme cases of hypothermia ¬ ¬
Soooooo: I made myself feel better by making everyone on the ships crew strip naked and doggie pile to "create warmth" for the two freezing and unconscious players. Mah ha ha. I love being the DM >
≈Mortal•Mælstrom≈ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #2758
≈Mortal•Mælstrom≈

damn die rolls
Old 10-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #2759
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre View Post
If Methadrine or any of the other tech-heads still lurk here,
*surfaces* Always at your service, Ma'am.

Quote:
one of them should advise me on the following:

I am going to take Machinae, my laptop, off Windows. I will make a full backup and have a spare install disc to hand just in case anything goes wrong. But I am still choosing my new OS. I am torn between Linux Mint and Kubuntu. There may be other cute, easy-to-use, low-maintenance OSs out there, but those two have particularly grabbed my attention.

Which one do I use?
I'd go with Kubuntu, but that's just because I like KDE. Also, it's the one that's easiest to update and maintain. Plain Ubuntu would be my second choice, since Kubuntu in some instances grows a not so healthy dislike for mobile graphics cards. HP's suggestion of VMware is great, but it costs money or force you into the lovely world of piracy, so if you really have to use Windows applications then you could always get VirtualBox for Linux, which is free. *de-surfaces*

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #2760
TheFeatheredÆtheling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
On a side note - I had a weird dream last night - I turned into a tree but would become human once a year for one night.
That actually sounds like a very mysterious dream. *contemplating* It would probably be pretty boring in real life though...
TheFeatheredÆtheling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:26 AM   #2761
honeythorn

I have spotted a bedsit flat...... £250 a month including the council tax.... it has no garden ( well it's shared but that's of no ue to me ) which kills my soul to the core, but I could ride my bike to the fields which is a compromise. I've given them a call so I can look at it.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #2762
metalmonstereatme

ciggarets and coffee, ciggaretts and coffee, ciggrets and coffee, ugh this is gonna kill me one day but i love it!!!! *Thump*....
metalmonstereatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #2763
Raptor

Quote:
I am torn between Linux Mint and Kubuntu. There may be other cute, easy-to-use, low-maintenance OSs out there, but those two have particularly grabbed my attention.

Which one do I use?
I have a feeling HP's suggestion is for something I don't understand, but VMWare Player is free legally and that would let you try out other OS's before you get rid of Windows.

I have Mint on my laptop and there's nothing wrong with it. I think it managed to get everything to work by itself (card reader, wireless, etc) though I haven't tested the web cam. It's easy to install. It's faster than what I had before but that was Vista, so I guess that doesn't say much. I'm a fan of Windows 7 though.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #2764
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFeatheredÆtheling View Post
That actually sounds like a very mysterious dream. *contemplating* It would probably be pretty boring in real life though...
It wasn't really. It was kinda cool, because along with the tree becoming, came super human powers as well (for the one night a year)

And I finished the dream by falling in love with a guy who came to sit under me (as a tree) every day.

I interpreted the dream for what it meant to me. I think i turned the dream into something which was a variation of the princess kissing a frog, except I had to win the guy's heart before i turned back into a tree, so everyoen could be saved.

Oh and I should add the next night I dreamed I was the undercarriage of a F11 figher plane (well that's the best way to describe it because i was flying like superman, but was under a plane, but powering it at teh same time)

i rock (only in my dreams)..

And Yes I survived the family wedding but my jugs were so full, I took several photos to show Mr Bat and we both commented on how fake they looked. But man they were impressive and so I said to Mr Bat that I don't think I've ever seen so much beer in one jug before ever.

and my hire car was a noisy piece of crap that took forever to get up to the speed limit and overtaking - I honestly thought I could get out and run faster! - so I thrashed it. Got the rear view mirror shaking with some James Blunt - got to the wedding and was slightly deaf, but at least it was a reason for everyoen to yell at me (other than my usual fruitbat nature )

Old 10-24-2010, 05:53 AM   #2765
honeythorn

Mah Jong is terribly absorbing....
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #2766
≈Mortal•Mælstrom≈

solitaire is as well but its great (just like mahjongg) because you can play it ALONE.
Sometimes, alone time is the best time.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #2767
Saya

I just realized today that I joined Gnet five years ago! Where does the time go?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #2768
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
If Methadrine or any of the other tech-heads still lurk here, one of them should advise me on the following:

Which one do I use?
I have to agree with Methadrine. Kubuntu is awesome, and 10.4 showed significant improvements in graphics speed. Haven't tried 10.10, but it's probably not out until the end of the month.
I tried Mint (both Gnome and KDE versions) and didn't like it as much. The green was nice, but you can always make KDE and Gnome green.
I keep flipping between gnome and KDE. I really like them both, but for different reasons. I'm rather in a state of ambivalence between the simplicity of Gnome and the feature/gadget-rich style of KDE.
I love KDE 4, by the way. It's very pretty.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #2769
Fruitbat

So anyway I'm trying to fall in love with a recalcitrant person. It's really difficult because despite all the love I show and give, I'm not getting a lot back in return.

I wouldn't normally go to the effort but this time its going to be worth it in the end.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 AM   #2770
≈Mortal•Mælstrom≈

falling in love.
is it something we do unknowingly or are we always aware (in different degrees) of what is going on between the parties involved?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:03 AM   #2771
Fruitbat

Mortal - I think there are times when falling in love is beyond our control. It just happens and there is not a lot that can stop it - except stubborness.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #2772
korinna5555

Equal parts of

THIS:

PLUS THIS:

plus ice and a little simple syrup.. makes some mighty fine whiskey drinks.

I polished off most of a fifth last night. Heh.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #2773
Solumina

Well I'm back from my honeymoon, well I got back home yesterday but now I'm back to gnet!

The wedding was fun, we kind of got a little rained on and had to move inside but we did get a double rainbow so I think it was a fair trade. I managed to go most of the ceremony without crying but when my maid of honor and the bridesmaid next to her synced up and sobbed in unison I shed a few tears, thankfully my dress has pockets so I had a nice place to keep my handkerchief. It really was a wonderful time and I can't imagine it going any differently.

The celebration on Friday was equally wonderful, if a little more chaotic. I got to see some friends and family who I haven't been able to see for quite some time and it was really nice to be able to catch up. After things wound down most of the younger crowd headed over to the bar/pool hall that one of my bridesmaids is a manager at (Friday nights they have a DJ and she had them waive the cover for all of us) and we all continued to have a great time.

More details and some pictures will be posted soon, I’m still a bit tired and my mind is rather cluttered, I think mostly due to the piles of gifts that I have to navigate around.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #2774
Delkaetre

oh gods, my neighbours are arguing. Purely verbal, and it appears to be one sided- a woman speaking very quickly in a language I cannot identify, and unfortunately also very loudly.

It is nearly midnight, I need to be awake at 6.30am, this is not fucking appreciated.

Thank you, various Techheads, for your advice. As the delightful Methadrine first suggested and so many others have echoed, it looks like it'll be Kubuntu, at least to start.

I have no intention of running spare operating systems, and have no need of the buggers. I don't even fancy something as simple as a dual boot system. So I'll stick with just the one OS at a time.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #2775
LaBelleDameSansMerci

See if you can work your way up to ArchLinux or Slackware :P ArchLinux comes with just the kernel and command line (with networking support, I'm pretty sure), but you have to tell it to install the X graphics system and then install the desktop environment you want, and all the programs and such that you want. Not easy, but highly customizable.
That being said, Kubuntu is awesome. They did a good job, I think.

Apparently one had to hand-calibrate one's monitor when Slackware was new (and you could probably still do it). You had to figure out how long it took for EVERYTHING to happen in the monitor, so you'd have to do it by trial and error, sometimes getting the screen squished in one line in the middle, or having just the bottom corner visible because it's going off the top, or other screwy things. The advantage was that you could have ANY resolution you wanted at any refresh rate (as long as it didn't go beyond the physical capabilities of the monitor).