Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

View Poll Results: Do you agree with this 'ban'?
It's understandable 16 8.56%
It's B.S.! (that's what I have to say about it anyway..) 140 74.87%
Don't really care.. 31 16.58%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2006, 04:34 AM   #251
Minyaliel

Depends on where you are (age, location, school), I guess. I've always gotten strange looks or hurtful remarks about my clothing and make- up style at school, but now that I'm in University, I actually meet either indifference or people who love my style and give me lots of compliments *grins*
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"

Last edited by Minyaliel; 09-05-2006 at 04:34 AM. Reason: typo :p
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:50 AM   #252
sylas

i dont know if some one has allready said this but i think its them being pussies well yeah the kids where goth but it dosent mean you just go around messing with everyone elese that fits in your fuckin sterotype chart ANY ONE can use a fuckin gun i hope they know that
sylas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:54 AM   #253
Peter

If anyone else has said that, I'm sure they weren't as eloquent as yourself.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:06 AM   #254
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylas
i dont know if some one has allready said this but i think its them being pussies well yeah the kids where goth but it dosent mean you just go around messing with everyone elese that fits in your fuckin sterotype chart ANY ONE can use a fuckin gun i hope they know that
Which kids were goth? The Columbine kids? No, dear, they weren't. They were homicidal maniacs in trench coats.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #255
ASHESOFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by homo-adonis
I think I'm a little older than most on this board and I must say back when I was in middle school in the early eighties I had tattoos. And I got hell for them let alone the rest of my look. Remember tattoos were not a maistream thing like they are now and seeing Goths , Punks , or even New wavers back then in school was not too common. I thought things now would be much better.
i so have to agree with this...for me growing up in that era was hard. i surely didn't fit into the normal "preppie" style of the time here in america, i never felt comfortable in Sebago Docksiders and Lacoste alligator shirts...despite what my mother bought me. i would paint my shoes black and dye my clothes in the bathtub. i wanted blue hair...in the days before manic panic, we used kool aid and peroxide. my teachers tried to make me take the safety pins out of my ears in class, they said they were distracting. cheapest earings on earth is what they were...for my friends and i our "style" was all about emerging music --discovering bands like the cure and echo who came from england like Duran Duran but just weren't mainstream. art was our way of expression...art on paper, art in music and even art on sidewalks and the middle of the street. we lived in a cornfield town--there were no malls to go buy punk clothes and gothic gowns--we had to make our own. we were straight edge--with the x's on our hands--back in the early 80's and thought of as freaks, but somehow, in our school that was cool at the time. my best friend was the homecoming king for god's sake--not the high school quarterback!
how did being dark turn into such a sorry ass conotation over the years? how did the black trenchcoat become synonomous with Columbine when people have been wearing them for years?
And now with this poor slaughter of the Amish girls--what kind of symbol is going to rise from this? What cultural group is going to be blamed for the antics of the crazed gunman here?
ASHESOFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #256
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
If anyone else has said that, I'm sure they weren't as eloquent as yourself.
I'm loving you, Peter.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:13 AM   #257
Crying_Crimson_Tears

At my school the administration doesn't give a flying fuck what we dress like as long as it's within the dress code. No belly buttons showing, no cleavage, no underwear hanging out, no ass cracks, etc. But the kids can be really horrible about it. Thinking that just because you wear black and such it means that you're a cutter and that you probably do drugs or something. I find cutters and druggies are the ones who are "preppy" and such. The kids think that you're depressed just because of the amount of black you wear. I get the comments, sure, but I also get compliments from time to time. There actually is getting to be more tolerance at my school with the kids because they start to understand it's the person, not the clothing. I think that maybe if more Goth/punk people start to show that they can be loving, caring and understanding people too. It may take some time, but maybe people wil eventually start to understand and leave us alone.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #258
knightmare

ASHESOFX, it's nice to hear a viewpoint of an original and mature man as yourself.
Goths are always going to be discriminated against, as all groups are. The misconceptions of the gothic people's fascination of death, and the dark side of humanity contribute to this misperception. These factors and our "morbidly original" sense of style are practically incomprehensible
to a society that focuses on success and "living your life to the fullest." Anything that society does not understand, they mislabel it as a threat. They do not know that we can be fascinated by the dark side of humanity and still be a normal, functional human being of society. Also, the media's negative portrayal of "goths" doesn't help either.
knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:42 AM   #259
Momerath

I think in my old Jr. High School, they told me not to wear my little spike bracelets. I really didn't care, because I knew it wasn't a big deal anyways, and I knew I was more my mind than my clothing anyways.
Momerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:32 AM   #260
Cyntrox

My teachers keep lowering my grades because they say I write too "dark..."
Old 05-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #261
Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae

In my school we don't have a dress code, though we have a few understandable rules: We must be clean (in the take-a-shower sense), we can't go naked and we can't wear bathing suits (I have no idea why someone came up with this last rule, but well...)

If it helps, I'll tell you that in my friend's school they have a uniform, and some people were against it, so a group of boys protested by putting on the girl's uniform skirts... and, as it was a part of the uniform and nobody had thought that might happen, nobody had rules against that... and the boys wore the skirts to school for days and days. It was a good idea. LOL

Anyway, it seems that's just the prejudicing. It has nothing at all with the clothes being distracting or not, that's just the excuse to make the rules that their little narrow normal minds want. I suggest that you try to find some legal contradiction or something like that.
Lady_Lacrimosa_Umbrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:08 AM   #262
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mood
Again, because I can't pick up on the current conversation I would like to say that schools have every right to post dress restrictions. Also, I don't lend sympathy to people who are teased for what they wear to school if it was their choice to wear it.

If you don't want to be descriminated against, don't dress differently. And if you feel that strongly about your subculture, I suggest you google "coporate goth" to get tips on how to dress goth and yet still function in society.
Unacceptable. This train of thought is almost as bad as the idea that certain people get discriminated against because they wear black. It is NOT okay to have prejudices. It makes you into a shitty person.

It's a social change though. I would never expect or want any sort of law to protect me or make it okay for people to be goth. I would just rather someday that people find that the aesthetic of goth isn't so fucked up and it really isn't that important. Yes, the goths understand that compromise is a part of life. But goths always compromise. Now it's your turn. Understand that it is okay and stop making such a big deal about it like others do. Just because we can learn to not hold our "gawthyness in high regard doesn't mean that we change ourselves as the only answer to a problem. Why don't you change your mind and be a better person for it instead of having me change my clothes because you're afraid of my looks. I swear I wont bite. I'm probably more afraid of you than you are of me.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:40 AM   #263
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyntrox
My teachers keep lowering my grades because they say I write too "dark..."

Now THAT is some bonafied bullshit. I would highly suggest you bring this up to you principal. Dark art is just as much art as any other. This IS discrimination. How dare they give you are hard time because of who you are.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #264
maggot

Actually, Kontan, this is where you and me disagree.

People will always have prejudices, and if people are going to aggregate those prejudices, they can't whine about it.

It's like someone cutting themselves, and then complaining when they almost die.
"Yeah, no shit, asshole." would probably be your first response, not "Awwww! Poor baaaby!!! "

See what I'm saying?

That came off far more hostile than I meant it to. I don't care, though.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #265
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
Actually, Kontan, this is where you and me disagree.

People will always have prejudices, and if people are going to aggregate those prejudices, they can't whine about it.

It's like someone cutting themselves, and then complaining when they almost die.
"Yeah, no shit, asshole." would probably be your first response, not "Awwww! Poor baaaby!!! "

See what I'm saying?

That came off far more hostile than I meant it to. I don't care, though.
Well, I know what you're saying. I'm more miffed about people making a bigger deal about it than the ones that actually do it. All I'm saying is that people let the goth look bother them and then it's okay to be hostile about it. They CHOOSE to hate it and make a big deal about it. I just wonder why it's always got to be the goth that changes themselves instead of the ones that would be better off changing their minds.

Maggot, I don't like your blue hair. Change it, it bothers me.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #266
maggot

Actually, I get the hair thing a lot. It amuses me more than offends me. :P

And people don't choose to hate things that are different, they just grow up that way.
I mean, SOME choose, but others have no choice, really.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #267
KontanKarite

Quote:
Actually, I get the hair thing a lot. It amuses me more than offends me. :P

And people don't choose to hate things that are different, they just grow up that way.
I mean, SOME choose, but others have no choice, really.

Magg, I love your blue hair. I was just trying to make a point.

It's an issue of respect for me. I'm seeing it come from one side, but not the other. That's not cool in my book.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #268
maggot

I knew you were trying to make a point, I was just showing the rational conclusion that I hold.

I choose to have something that tends to offend, so I don't bitch when I get complaints.

So, uh, Kontan... Are you gonna pay for everyone to get hypnotherapy?
Old 05-12-2007, 01:32 AM   #269
KontanKarite

Quote:
I knew you were trying to make a point, I was just showing the rational conclusion that I hold.

I choose to have something that tends to offend, so I don't bitch when I get complaints.

So, uh, Kontan... Are you gonna pay for everyone to get hypnotherapy?
Nope. Social change should never be forced. I may have something against one sided respect issues, but I'd hate to see people forced to accept something they don't want to. Peoples' ability to choose comes before my own comfort.

My views are my own and not for anyone else unless they feel the same.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #270
maggot

Good boy.

This means you're not allowed to complain, either, though. :P
Old 05-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #271
KontanKarite

Quote:
Good boy.

This means you're not allowed to complain, either, though. :P
Nah, you can't stop me from speaking my mind. Then again, I kinda like the idea that goth is a threatening look. Though I'm not violent, it for some reason, keeps the would be criminals and violent ones at bay. I don't know why, but I just don't care.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #272
maggot

It's threatening because people are scared of what they don't know.
Now you know, and still don't care.

It's good to learn how to do some death glance.
People don't mess with me because I have one.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #273
KontanKarite

Yeah. The gang activity in my town seems to be on the uprise. Looking down right scary seems to keep strangers from talking to me when I'm walking out at night.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #274
Tismine

My school has never given me much of a problem. My public school (up to mid 8th grade) used to be fairly..unhappy about it. Now, thankfully, I attend a private school. While the dress code may be much more strict (uniforms), I managed to convince them to leave me alone. How? By volunteering in the library, baking and cooking for them, and being polite to the point of Victorian.
I'm basically regarded as a slightly insane kitten, and no one blinks an eye at 7-inch patent vinyl boots anymore. It's fairly exclusive, though, as I'm the only one able to get away with it. I just smile at them if they say anything vulgar.
I'm fairly lucky, I suppose. In my previous school, my father and I had to manipulate like crazy for them to leave me alone.
Tismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #275
Lapin

(laughs hysterically) My school would kill for your problems. They're happy if we show up. Dress code violations? Priority #352

Hey, Tismine, where'd you get those 7-inchers? I want a pair.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote