Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-25-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
gothicusmaximus

Gothicus Maximus' Christmas Presents: Choose-Your-Own-Adventure

So my parents, having purchased me no Christmas presents but being unwilling as they are to make their favoritism toward my brother any more blatant than it already is, have given me ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS.
Unable to deliberate how I might spend such a hefty sum, I'm calling upon the collective wisdom of gnet members to aid me in rendering a decision.
Please note this is not a "hay gothic.net my im katy but u cn call me "TEH PENGUIN oF D00M! im rly gothic i mean i luv manson but where do i go frm their?" thread, so most suggestions to the effect of "OMG YOU SHOULD BUY ONLY THEATRE OF PAIN" will be a waste of time on the part of the poster. Music suggestions are cool, but use judgement, guys.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
Valerius

Seriously, if I were you, I'd put it in a time deposit. It's never bad to start saving up early.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
honeythorn

Can you drive? do you have a car already? If not then perhaps put it towards a decent car that will last you a good few years.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
KontanKarite

Val is right. Put it in an aggressive savings and forget you ever had it. You could retire at your late 30s.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:25 AM   #5
Delkaetre

Save. Save like fuckery. If you can find a suitably high interest account, put in there.
I would particularly advise finding a fund which accumulates high interest providing you do not access the account for the first so many years. They give you a wonderful return on your savings and have the added bonus of boosting your willpower towards not breaking into savings you may otherwise need.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:49 AM   #6
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
Can you drive? do you have a car already? If not then perhaps put it towards a decent car that will last you a good few years.
I live in New York City, so a car really isn't the most utile thing.
Anyway, keep talking guys, I'm taking note.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:22 AM   #7
Duane

Put it away in an account, save it for your retirement.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:48 AM   #8
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane
Put it away in an account, save it for your retirement.
I don't know what all of this 'retirement' stuff is about, it's only 1250 dollars. In 30 years, even with a tax free account, it'll only be like 4,000, not really enough to make or break my retirement.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
Noumi

Give it back to your parents as a present so they can see what a good kid you are?
You´ll have the right to complain about anything later XD
Noumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:04 AM   #10
Steppenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius
Seriously, if I were you, I'd put it in a time deposit. It's never bad to start saving up early.
I'm this opinion . Delkaetre added a bit , but basically it's about saving it . We usually don't see the money until we need it ... and sometimes we really need it ...
Old 12-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #11
Green.Lady

Save it. I'm regretting not saving the 7k I made working last year. You will thank yourself.

Or put $1000 in the bank towards retirement and spend the rest on CDs and all that good stuff.
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #12
Wormboy

save 750, fuck around with the other 500 ^_^

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy
save 750, fuck around with the other 500 ^_^
Heh, this is what I'll probably end up doing.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #14
drewsilla

I'd certainly go shopping with my money. Save some, and go an look up the most eccentric, odd and esoteric stores around and buy something totally awesome. You do live in New York City!!!
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #15
clockworkcoffin

start a gold account or whatever. gold is real money, not paper. it goes up in value as the paper dollar goes down.
clockworkcoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 07:13 PM   #16
clockworkcoffin

also: you should probably invest in something useful like a really really good computer.
clockworkcoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:11 PM   #17
††BlackRose††

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I don't know what all of this 'retirement' stuff is about, it's only 1250 dollars. In 30 years, even with a tax free account, it'll only be like 4,000, not really enough to make or break my retirement.
Well if you use a portion of the money and pitch in like $20 or something a month then it will add up. Someone put a small amount of money in a savings account and put $20 a week. He started when he was 20, and when he was about to retire it was like over $700,000.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:25 PM   #18
StasisInDarkness

How about buying...lots of corsets and ankh necklaces for your girlfriend.

Yeah. That sounds like a good idea.
StasisInDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #19
Corpsey

If it is music, do some very select choosing before you purchase. You can throw money away so easily in just buying cd's that you'll regret later on.

But first of all:

***** CORPSEY'S GUIDE TO HAVING FUN AND NOT WASTING MONEY *****

#1: Buy yourself an Ice Cream. Chocolate. The benefits of doing so are known to make you happier, so long as you don't buy it when it's blowing a gale, thus you are liable to loose your Ice Cream.

#2: Get a cheapo Camera. It will give you plenty of hours fun where you can just take plenty of photos, allowing you to use your creativity to it's limits. Remember your friends, remember the locations, remember the birds.

#3: Purchase a book or ten from a second hand shop. Look carefully for a few of the realy good ones. You can find absolute bargains and these books will rid you of boredom for weeks. If you've never heard of the Dune series, it's a series of about 7 books. I bought 5 of them for about $12 US (Approx) just from a second hand shop and the series is about as good as you can get and they're usually plentiful amongst second hand shops.

#4: Go Op-shopping. Find a coat to do some DIY on. You can find some really cheap ones quite often, and they'll only need a few bits of sowing done here and there if you're unlucky. This will take up your time and you can produce something that can look your own way.

#5: Buy some vitamin tablets if your parents don't. And a head-ache cure. Save these for a time when your parent's don't have any and you need some and you are sick.

#6: Watch a movie with some friends and that's all you really need to spend with them. Do not spend it all on your friends or you'll blow it all away and friends like to take advantage of friends when they own a little bit more dosh than usual.

#7: Save the fuckers.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:31 AM   #20
DarkWinter

Buy what you want...Something fun. It sounds like a business exec. board in here.
DarkWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #21
Draconysius

OMG! Go to the Shrine NYC! You can actually afford that shit. That or Redballs. *fapfapfap*
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #22
DeathToLems

Wow. Reading everyones replys that say put it in a savings account, then seeing you only reply to the ones that ppl say spend it on this and that just really makes me think "dont even bother telling him the good advice about saving money, hes not gonna listen" *sigh*

But come on man you gotta save some of it.
Since I started work almost a year ago I've tried to save up with every pay check I get. Like putting half of it in a savings account. At the end of the year I was well impressed with how much I saved.

I have a question though that I always wanted to ask the rich folk or just someone with a lump of cash just given to them.
If you just won/ got given alot of money would you buy more expencive foods or continue to buy the same cheep but good food as you use to? (treating you're self to a few luxuries dont count)
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:50 PM   #23
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToLems
Wow. Reading everyones replys that say put it in a savings account, then seeing you only reply to the ones that ppl say spend it on this and that just really makes me think "dont even bother telling him the good advice about saving money, hes not gonna listen" *sigh*

But come on man you gotta save some of it.
Since I started work almost a year ago I've tried to save up with every pay check I get. Like putting half of it in a savings account. At the end of the year I was well impressed with how much I saved.

I have a question though that I always wanted to ask the rich folk or just someone with a lump of cash just given to them.
If you just won/ got given alot of money would you buy more expencive foods or continue to buy the same cheep but good food as you use to? (treating you're self to a few luxuries dont count)
Huh? I said I would save a good portion of it.

I don't really enjoy expensive food, so I'm not sure to what extent your question applies to me, but my eating habits definitely wouldn't change if I came into money, no.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #24
DeathToLems

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Huh? I said I would save a good portion of it.

I don't really enjoy expensive food, so I'm not sure to what extent your question applies to me, but my eating habits definitely wouldn't change if I came into money, no.
I've just always wondered thats all.
Like if someone won the lottery would they go around spending loads of money on expencive foods just because they have the money too.
If it was me I would probly go out to nice restrance but after a while il probly get bored of it and start thinking
"Shit! I'm paying 80 bucks for this tiny portion of food" then feel guilty because homeless ppl get nothing V_V

Oh noes my caring for others is showing!!
eeek!
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:44 PM   #25
lostintranslation

As it has already been said, save a good portion of the money. If I had that kind of money, I've save all but like $100. I never have a lot of money, so why take a bunch when you could put it in the bank or something? While going on a shopping spree would be fun, it'd be fun until you ran out of money, and then you'd look at your purchases, and while they may be nice, also think of all the things you could have gotten if you had saved the money for a bit and gotten some interest on it. I say save most of it, and have fun with the rest.
lostintranslation is offline   Reply With Quote