Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #51
Underwater Ophelia

VOLTAIRE HAVE MY BABIES!

I got to meet you at Drac's Ball and I still love you!!
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #52
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Filth
Voltaire is not to Goth what Stan Lee is to comics.

Voltair is 100% novelty. Something you'd listen to if you weren't really in the mood to listen to music. You'd buy his album more to put on for friends and be like "Dude, you have to hear this band, Voltaire! He's over the top hysterical!"

I can't imagine putting him on alone with big headphones, lit candles and become lost in it.
Yeah, I can't help agreeing - he's like Weird Al Yankovic for "alternative" people. The guy is WAY overrated IMO.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #53
KontanKarite

Dude, did I just troll Voltaire? I didn't even try that hard.

There's something oddly funny about all of this.

Oh well. Is this the part where we tell voltaire to post an introduction thread? o_0

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:43 PM   #54
KontanKarite

Now as to clarify. Yes, I did question the motives and such in regards to it. Reason why it did irk me is BECAUSE I believe Voltaire can do better than that. But alas...

Voltaire was campy, decent fun while Gerrard Way and MCR is Kitschy whinny scenster music.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #55
Deadmanwalking_05

It was Voltaire.....I just finished reading his reply

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #56
Deadmanwalking_05

I called it way too early brother...my bad on that one.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #57
Voltairenyc

I just replied to the poster who contacted me on My-space... so that should clear up who I am.

This is probably a huge waste of time, yours, mine, everyone's... so I'll keep it short before I go...

I would NEVER, EVER put anyone down for not liking my music. As I always like to say, "nothing is for everyone". There are people who love what I do and there are people who HATE what I do just as there are people who love or hate spaghetti and who is to tell either one they are wrong. So I didn't come here to try to defend my music. I simply decided to reply to a guy who decided he would post that I should be "ashamed" of working with someone who is my friend.

I can understand that you may not like the guy's music, but as you might see, his music is irrelevant here. I just think it's unfair to discredit my whole project and my character as a person and as an artist because of who I work with (unless that person is a nazi, a pedophile, a rapist or a murderer).

If you hated the film and said so, THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN TOTALLY FAIR and I would not have said a word about it.

And then when Mr. Filth and others decided with utmost certainty that I'm a phony... and that I make music for financial purposes... it's just mind boggling, really.

You guys obviously don't know much about the music business. Goth is the LEAST money-making genre of music one can be involved in. Why do you think Andrew Eldridge is always trying to convince everyone that he's NOT goth?! Despite the fact that ONLY goths buy his records, he's still holding out hope that it will catch on beyond the scene if he loudly pronounces his non-gothness, I guess. I don't really know. But I just don't see why someone would insult their only fans that way.

Honestly guys... if I wanted to be rich, I'd be a rapper! Or I'd make country music (actually that's not a bad idea. heh heh)

There is NO money in Goth. Anyone who makes a "living" as an entertainer in this scene can tell you that. You are NEVER going to see a Goth band on MTV Cribs. You are never going to see any of us on there. I assure you they haven't asked to come over to my 8 foot by 8 foot studio apartment to do a feature on me! ; )

Which leads me to my next point... I do what I do because I AM A GOTH and I LOVE THE GOTH SCENE. Granted, I'm also a ridiculous f*ck who's always cracking jokes... but that's why my music is like it is. Now, if you ask one of my friends... one of my REAL friends... they will tell you that I sit around at home drinking rum and making up songs about Jawas getting ***** by Sandpeople for no reason other than because it makes me laugh. What can I say, I find the shit entertaining. So for someone to state with such confidence that my entire career is formulated around some big plan to get rich... well, then one of us must be none too smart because it's just not feasible.

I'd also like to point out that to say that I'm a big "loser" because I post on G-net is about the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Seriously, does that mean that EVERYONE here is a loser? Or am I supposed to be different somehow because I'm a musician? If you think I shouldn't talk like a normal person on a Goth forum then it is YOU who creates the illusion that I'm some kind of rock star. Not me.

Isn't that kind of sad, really? I mean, think about it. Wouldn't it be nice if Peter Murphy could post here or Andrew Eldridge? I would LOVE to talk with them. Makes you wonder why they don't, doesn't it?

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm not super famous like those guys anyway. As far as I'm concerned I'm a guy who happens to be Goth, who happens to make music, who certain people happen to like and for that I consider myself extremely lucky. But God forbid I should ever think that I'm the superficial rock star douche bag some of you think I'm supposed to be.

Because if I was.... then I wouldn't be here talking to you directly, answering a question about my character.

Voltaire

ps: If you think I only make funny songs you should check out these songs:
Anniversary
Parade
All the Way Down
Ravens Land
Out of Reach
Dunce
Feathery Wings
Almost Human
Anastasia
Underground
I'm Sorry
Where's the Girl?
Hello Cruel World
...About a Girl
Let it Go
Crusade
The Happy Song
Wall of Pride
Welcome to the World
Believe
Hallo Elskan Min
Born Bad
This Sea
Blue-eyed Matador

Damn, that's a lot of not-at-all funny songs. I just did the math...
they amount to a third of my entire musical catalog. Interesting.
Voltairenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #58
Voltairenyc

Shit... I said I was going to keep it short! lol!

V

[quote=Voltairenyc]I just replied to the poster who contacted me on My-space... so that should clear up who I am.

This is probably a huge waste of time, yours, mine, everyone's... so I'll keep it short before I go...
Old 12-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #59
Deadmanwalking_05

Now that's ownage

Old 12-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #60
Albert Mond

Haha... he repeatedly misspells "Eldritch".
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #61
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Filth
I think it was a good call on Peter Murphy's part not to be involved. I will continue to be a Peter Murphy fan after reading this. The fact that he recognized you and Gerard for being scenester posers and not lifting a finger to help out is exactly what makes him a veteran in the scene.
*Ahem*

If I do so recall, Peter Murphey sat next to Gerald Way in a interview with MTV, together describing what goth was and Peter Murphey crediting Gerald Way on how MCR is the next big goth band or something like that. If you don't believe me, here's the interview.

Interview

I'm sorry, but your wrong, Peter Murphey recognizes nothing. Infact, I'm sure his manager never mentioned anything to him unless Voltaire was offering big money. A veteran in the scene!? Ahaha, Peter Murphey recognizes Gerald Way as a goth.

I'm sorry, but no. No, your wrong.
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #62
Clockwork

Shit, man! Why are you guys hating on Voltaire! Don't you know what he's done for us? The man went on FOX News and defended us in the heat the Columbine mess! Voltaire's a fucking hero. He doesn't deserve this.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #63
Voltairenyc

Thanks DeadMan but I'm not here to "own" anything... just want to clear the air of any misconceptions regarding my motivations.

; )

v
Old 12-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #64
Voltairenyc

Ah crap. Thanks! I wish I had known sooner though... I'd say I lost some Goth points but then, Andrew ain't Goth now is he? heh heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
Haha... he repeatedly misspells "Eldritch".
Old 12-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #65
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cogs
*Ahem*

If I do so recall, Peter Murphey sat next to Gerald Way in a interview with MTV, together describing what goth was and Peter Murphey crediting Gerald Way on how MCR is the next big goth band or something like that. If you don't believe me, here's the interview.
Then Murphy* doesn't know what Goth sounds like... and that's rather bizarre. Gerard* Way and MCR are more Post-Hardcore.
Quote:
I'm sorry, but your wrong, Peter Murphey recognizes nothing. Infact, I'm sure his manager never mentioned anything to him unless Voltaire was offering big money. A veteran in the scene!? Ahaha, Peter Murphey recognizes Gerald Way as a goth.
For the love of Goth, if you're* going to tell somebody they're 'wrong', do it RIGHT.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #66
Voltairenyc

OH!!! Ow! BURN... I can smell the roasting ass meats from here.

ouch.

V

[quote=Miss Cogs]*Ahem*

Old 12-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #67
Voltairenyc

That's kind of you Clockwork. But I'm used to it. It's the risk you take when you turn on the computer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
Shit, man! Why are you guys hating on Voltaire! Don't you know what he's done for us? The man went on FOX News and defended us in the heat the Columbine mess! Voltaire's a fucking hero. He doesn't deserve this.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #68
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltairenyc
That's kind of you Clockwork. But I'm used to it. It's the risk you take when you turn on the computer!
Dude, I feel bad that you felt so compelled to come here.

These Internet forums are destructive, actually. They suck in what could be useful, constructive members to the scene and make them apathetic. And then you just get the layabouts who only curse and complain.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #69
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Dude, I feel bad that you felt so compelled to come here.

These Internet forums are destructive, actually. They suck in what could be useful, constructive members to the scene and make them apathetic. And then you just get the layabouts who only curse and complain.
What's not to love?
Old 12-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #70
Clockwork

Quote:
What's not to love?
The uselessness, really.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #71
Haunted House

Quote:
Also that deal with the "GOTH MURDER MADNESS" headline. That ruled. Go you, Voltaire.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #72
Miss Cogs

Quote:
Then Murphy* doesn't know what Goth sounds like... and that's rather bizarre. Gerard* Way and MCR are more Post-Hardcore.

For the love of Goth, if you're* going to tell somebody they're 'wrong', do it RIGHT.
Awww, geezz, I spelled "Murphy", "Gerard", "You're". How bad of me. Excuse me while I go pour lye on myself for my horrible, HORRIBLE mistake!

Why don't you look at my main point instead of those tiny few misspells. Making yourself look smarter, by pointing out my spelling errors, is not working for you, man.

Oh, and wasn't Peter Murphy (happy?) the grandfather of goth? Wait, now if I recall, wasn't the Bauhaus "Bela Lugosi's Dead" that started Goth? Were they not the first goth rock band? Nah, this couldn't be right.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:41 PM   #73
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cogs
Awww, geezz, I spelled "Murphy", "Gerard", "You're". How bad of me. Excuse me while I go pour lye on myself for my horrible, HORRIBLE mistake!
You suck at sarcasm.

Quote:
Why don't you look at my main point instead of those tiny few misspells. Making yourself look smarter, by pointing out my spelling errors, is not working for you, man.
I did look at your main point, and I also discredited it. Believe it or not, misspelling proper names makes you look like a dumbass. I'm not trying to make myself look smarter, I'm trying to help you so that you can eventually look like you've atleast half a brain.

Quote:
Oh, and wasn't Peter Murphy (happy?) the grandfather of goth? Wait, now if I recall, wasn't the Bauhaus "Bela Lugosi's Dead" that started Goth? Were they not the first goth rock band? Nah, this couldn't be right.
Yes, he was the Grandfather of Goth. You missed my point entirely. MCR is not Goth, and even Peter Murphy saying they are cannot change that. If the Queen of England says I'm her reincarnated father, it doesn't make it so. Some things just aren't subjective.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #74
Miss Cogs

Quote:
You suck at sarcasm.

I did look at your main point, and I also discredited it. Believe it or not, misspelling proper names makes you look like a dumbass. I'm not trying to make myself look smarter, I'm trying to help you so that you can eventually look like you've atleast half a brain.

Yes, he was the Grandfather of Goth. You missed my point entirely. MCR is not Goth, and even Peter Murphy saying they are cannot change that. If the Queen of England says I'm her reincarnated father, it doesn't make it so. Some things just aren't subjective.
And if you were truly looking at my point, I never said Peter Murphy was correct about MCR being goth only that he said that they were thus disproving Mr. Filth's point that Peter Murphy recognized them as posers.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #75
Miss Cogs

Quote:
look like you've atleast half a brain.
at least*

:]