Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:50 PM   #26
faye_falling

I put conditioner on the ends of my hair and shampoo just from the ears up, rinse, then condition all of it. It really helps the ends of my hair to not dry out.
faye_falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #27
Duane

The Buddha belly.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #28
meezerosity

Coconut oil. It's an amazing moisturizer for your skin and hair, plus for those acne prone it can actually help lessen breakouts. Also aspirin paste masks to control zits. I take an uncoated aspirin tablet and a few drops of hot water then mush the paste on my face, the grit helps exfoliate. Acetylsalicylic acid is actually one of the active ingredients in ProActive, but much cheaper and without the alcohol that dries your face out and causes more problems.

Edit: MistyMayhem already posted the bit about the aspirin, sorry! It really is amazing.
meezerosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #29
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
I think the biggest secret to getting a really good, clean shave, is using a badger hair brush and a straight razor. I think it gets a cleaner look then anything else.

I also think they look better, but that's my opinion.
100% TRUE
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #30
raggedyanne

I wait two days between shaving. My hair grows very fast and this gives it enough time to grow so I can shave it and get a clean shave.

Also, swipe a darker shadow along the crease of the eye to make your eyes stand out more and swipe a translucent shimmer powder along the cheekbones to fake that "skinny girl/ high cheekbone" look
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #31
Saya

After being in denial for a while, and several terrible photos later, I conceded that the less make up I wear the prettier I am. Its hard to explain, but I just don't look right at all with make up on. Also I have oily skin so I find make up will run and look messy after only a few hours.

But when I have to wear make-up, lets say I have blemish or I really really want to try a shade of eyeshadow, I use a brush to powder baby powder on my face (in moderation of course). Baby powder makes the skin feel soft, might just do the job of hiding small blemishes, and its like it sucks up all the oil. Then I apply the make up, and cover up isn't messy and eye shadow lasts longer.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #32
Disaffected Shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
After being in denial for a while, and several terrible photos later, I conceded that the less make up I wear the prettier I am. Its hard to explain, but I just don't look right at all with make up on. Also I have oily skin so I find make up will run and look messy after only a few hours.

But when I have to wear make-up, lets say I have blemish or I really really want to try a shade of eyeshadow, I use a brush to powder baby powder on my face (in moderation of course). Baby powder makes the skin feel soft, might just do the job of hiding small blemishes, and its like it sucks up all the oil. Then I apply the make up, and cover up isn't messy and eye shadow lasts longer.
I get shiny face too, and also do this. It doesn't even feel like wearing make-up.

New tip - leave-in conditioner on the ends, as well as normal when you wash it. Shines like a motherfucker.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:52 AM   #33
Saya

Ugh, I'm thinking of chopping my hair off, its getting long and my hair gets greasy easily too. Conditioner worked before but lately its getting to be a hassle, and I feel gross all the time.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:53 AM   #34
Opteron_Man

I don't know if should be called a "secret".
Ever since I stopped eating any form of meat, my skin has cleared up and lightened. My teeth are nearly napkin white.

About my teeth, my old soft bristle toothbrush wore out. I didn't have alot of money so I bought a cheap $1.99 toothbrush with very hard bristles. That sucker really scrubbed my teeth. I avoided my gums.
But the tooth brush removed alot of stains, now me teeth are very white and clean feeling. No expensive whitening potions, no Crest whitestrips.

Also, once and a while, I put a mix of yogart and lemon juice on my face. It stays ther for about 15 minutes then I wash it off. It seems to lighten my skin.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #35
moonlightrose

This isn't really a "secret" but if you have a problem with your makeup smearing or running, either close your eyes and spray hairspray on your face or spray the hairspray on your finger and dab it over your makeup. I do this everyday after I'm done putting on my makeup and it works for me.
moonlightrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #36
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightrose
This isn't really a "secret" but if you have a problem with your makeup smearing or running, either close your eyes and spray hairspray on your face or spray the hairspray on your finger and dab it over your makeup. I do this everyday after I'm done putting on my makeup and it works for me.
If you get a lot of breakouts, that will make shit worse.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #37
vng2

condition your hair after you wash it then if apply a hair serum if you have problems with frizziness so it can absorb more moisture without frizzing.
Re-evaluate your skin type every once in awhile because as the season changes so might your skin, thats why some people have perfect skin in the winter possibly but then get acne in the summer. As the season changes, the temperature changes and affects your skin, like in the summer it may be more oily and in the winter it might be drier. So rechecking skin type and seeing if I need to change my routine slightly to fit my skin's change.

Always remembering to apply a moisturizer on my face before make up.
vng2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #38
Cicero

Eat healthy food and exercise.

And no Crow makeup.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #39
Nexus-6

My contribution to this thread isn't really a beauty secret, more of ways to help prolong youthful looks. Most people that meet me think that I'm still a teenager & many guess my age at 17 (though have passed for younger before) but I'm actually 23 years old. I find this quite funny since when I was in my teens I looked much older (looked 18+ since I was about 14) but in the last few years I've been taking more care of myself.

What I believe are the three most important things:
1. Healthy diet (avoid all processed food!)
2. Lot's of exercise
3. Plenty of quality sleep ( I look older if I don't get enough sleep)

Other things:
- I don't do any drugs ( that includes smoking, alcohol, caffeine + all that garbage they put in energy drinks)
- I wash my face twice daily (I have really oily skin & can have pretty bad outbreaks) & exfoliate dead skin every few days.
- Moisturise skin on face & hands if it gets dry ( I use aloe vera)
- Drink lots of water!
- Drink lots of water!

Hope someone finds my ramblings of use
Nexus-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:22 AM   #40
Solumina

Drinking loads of water isn't really that important, you should get lots of liquids, preferably juices that have no added sweeteners and teas due to the amounts of antioxidants.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:25 AM   #41
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero

And no Crow makeup.
Ugh, you said it.
Aside from it being the epitome of lame, that greasepaint'll make you break out in an instant.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #42
a morbid curiosity

I don't wear much make-up any more; I don't care about my appearance as I used to, but upon occasion I do enjoy it.
Usually, I mix foundation or concealer with moisturiser, and then dab it and blend it with a sponge. It makes my skin tone look more even.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #43
crucifix

Mane n Tail conditioner and shampoo. My hair is fried from dying/ironing and this is the only stuff that seems to give it the softness and fullness it once had about 4 decades ago before I discovered hair color.

Coty airspun power. Damn, the naturally neutral and muted beige shades pale me out like no other and they make me look 98.9% naturally pale, not like I have caked on clown paint.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #44
Dark Rapunzel

3 times a week is actually a lot! I wash my hair once a week - I keep it as natural as possible, and I use all natural shampoo and conditioner - there's aren't many chemicals in my hair these days, save for the dye. I had trouble weaning my hair to the once a week wash thing, but I don't regret it at all!
Dark Rapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #45
Pineapple_Juice

I wish I could wash my hair once a week or even once every other day, but my hair gets so greasy. My bangs look slapped to my forehead with bacon grease if I don't wash every day. How do you guys do it?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #46
Dark Rapunzel

It's a training process, really. Your hair is probably just naturally oily, as mine was. I used to wash it every single morning, and if I ever skipped a day it would feel greasy and gross. At one point I realized how bad it was for my hair and I decided to skip a day and start washing my hair every 2 days. At first it was greasy and annoying, but I stuck to it and eventually my scalp produced less oil to protect itself from shampoo. I continued with this process until I only had to wash my hair once a week. I recently switched shampoos and the one I use now is much milder, which means that I have to train my hair again to get used to it, because it gets greasy faster, but it's working so far. I try not to put any product in my hair (except for my Earthly Delight leave in cream and Biosilk hair serum) and if I do use product (like hairsprays or mouse that suck up all the natural oil and dry out the hair) it's around the time when I would normally wash my hair...it depends on your lifestyle, really. If you put loads of product in your hair day in and day out, then maybe use a dry shampoo or just wash the roots with a very mild shampoo and conditioner...if you don't use to many products, then it's all a question of training your scalp to produce less oil.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #47
Dark Rapunzel

I also used to play with my hair constantly! During classes, doing homework, listening to music, my fingers were always in my hair! I actually went through a phase where I would rip out my hair one strand at a time - it sounds weird and disgusting, but it was a habit I got into from just playing with my hair all the time. That makes hair very greasy, and because the scalp is being stimulated, it produces oil like a freaking machine! So if you aren't going out or something, tie your bangs away from your face (because the oils produced in your facial skin also make hair greasy) or just tie your hair up and away, and try not to touch your hair for as long as you can. I had to do that, and I did it!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #48
Pineapple_Juice

Imma try that. Maybe I should invest in some dry shampoo. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #49
Saya

I think it kinda works, don't judge but once when I had long hair I got super lazy, it was summer vacation and I was home, so I didn't wash my hair (I still showered!) It went from looking like I stuck it in a frying vat to looking clean again within a few days.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #50
Versus

I think it's important to get away from the thinking that we have to have an understanding of what our own strong and weak points are, thinking it's easier to know what to emphasize or draw attention away from. I think it's more important to be comfortable in your own skin.

Something I learned is that I have difficult hair. It's very curly at length, and I'm just not comfortable (or confident) with it because it just does not appeal to my self-image. I think I fell into the trap of trying to hide it by shaving my head and drawing attention to my face. I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing because I think I have strongly pronounced facial features (bushy eyebrows, soft eyes, a crooked nose, very pronounced cheekbones, "ethnic" lips, and an alright jaw line) and it's not a hassle to deal with, but I think I realize now that I'd probably look better with an Afro.

I tend to wear tight shirts to emphasize my musculature, but at the same time I used to wear loose pants and boots exclusively in order to draw attention away from what I thought were skinny legs. My self-image has improved since then, so now I pretty much feel comfortable in anything. And that is my secret.

I think that if a person honestly thinks they look good, then other people will too. I can see a huge difference in women that are uncomfortable with their weight and try to hide it with baggy or tight clothes and women that are confident in their appearance and wear clothes that are more form fitting.

So yeah. I know that my aviators and boots are dumb, but you know what? I don't give a fuck because I think they're the coolest and after talking to me, you will too.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote