Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Shill
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Shill Post your website announcements here. Anything that is blatantly SPAM (nigerian schemes, make money fast, etc) will be deleted. Actually, we'd probably keep the nigerian schemes around to make fun of it.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
xxDemonSlayerxx

Question What does emo mean to you?

So I've noticed that there are a lot of questions on this site so I have come up with one that hopefully no one esle has come up with yet!!!
Like the title says what does emo mean to you? (hopefully this doesn't seem insluting)
xxDemonSlayerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Eclipsing the Son

They are just scene kids who wear darker colors. They listen to popular music like HIM, My Chemical Romance and Evanescence and 'christian post-hardcore' like Underoath and As I Lay Dying.

Their style usually incorporates artificial looking straightened hair that comes over their face and store bought clothing that is marketed toward them. A lot of them claim to be goth because being 'emo' is by nature a shameful and derogative term.
Eclipsing the Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Maggoty Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsing the Son
A lot of them claim to be goth because being 'emo' is by nature a shameful and derogative term.
Tell me about it. But it's not a derogatory term, we just use it as one because we view tham in a negative way. If it was exclusively a derogaytory term would there be those annoying banner ads that say "Are You Emo?"
Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
a morbid curiosity

All wrong.

Emo is a genre of music.

Idiots adopted the word and started using it to describe everything miserable and gloomy.

That's it.

Also, this shouldn't be in Shill, should it?
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Bat Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity
Emo is a genre of music.
Yer - Emo is short for Emocore or Emotional Hardcore.
Bat Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
jack_the_knife

It's just like any other subculture. They just like a different genre of music and attire.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
a morbid curiosity

'Cept it's more like a sub-sub-culture, and the attire and the music changes every five seconds.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity
All wrong.

Emo is a genre of music.

Idiots adopted the word and started using it to describe everything miserable and gloomy.

That's it.

Also, this shouldn't be in Shill, should it?
Ditto, the popular misconception about what emo is what goth was just a few years ago. Infact all the bands Eclipse listed were called goth before "emo" became a popular label. Essentially what happened was they just adopted a different fashion and got a new label while listening to the same things. Emo has nothing to do with it really.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
emogamer

Emo is genre of music, scene is the fasion...emo means emotional, people who claim themselfs to be emo (like me) have different problems...like girlfriend/boyfriend problems...the scene style is black, hair in the eyes, stuff like that...horned rimmed glasses if you wear them...emos are generally hated because everyone views them as suicidal cry babies, and they think that is a weakness...all emos aren't suicidal cry babies oh and emos don't have to cut themselfs, cutting is only a way to let off anger and help with depression...
emogamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #10
Albert Mond

First, of course, it's a genre of hardcore punk/post punk that began in the '80s which has evolved into emo-pop. As a subculture, emo has both been ***** and improved in its rise to hideously huge size. As a genre, it always seems a lot less dark and depressing to me than many seem to think. I think a lot of what we see today in emo culture was adopted from goth.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #11
Necrophagist

Emo means nazi.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #12
HellforgedX

Emo, to me, is the first name of a certain deadpan comedian who speaks in falsetto, had a supporting role in the movie "UHF", and likes coleslaw. Also, he's friends with "Weird" Al Yankovic, which makes him even cooler.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #13
Tam Li Hua

Nothing, to be honest..
Old 11-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
Sir. Helpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by emogamer
Emo is genre of music, scene is the fasion...emo means emotional, people who claim themselfs to be emo (like me) have different problems...like girlfriend/boyfriend problems...the scene style is black, hair in the eyes, stuff like that...horned rimmed glasses if you wear them...emos are generally hated because everyone views them as suicidal cry babies, and they think that is a weakness...all emos aren't suicidal cry babies oh and emos don't have to cut themselfs, cutting is only a way to let off anger and help with depression...
Why don't you get the fuck off our forum?

There are countless emo forums out there - we simply do not want your uncultured, philistine kind polluting our clubs and dark corners... you're not welcome at our table, we despise you with every breath in our body and wish nothing but the harshest form of perpetual misery upon your kind.
Sir. Helpmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
SKULHEDFACE

Emo to me, without quoting bullshit from wikipedia or the net, is an infuriating style adopted by thoughtless maggots. Every emo band I have seen looks nearly identical to the last, and writes the same sappy, feel sorry for myself songs. The most infuriating aspect of the emo scene would have to be the fact that so many preps have seemingly converted to it for attention and on a whim. It seems that the majority of emo kids adopt the style in order to gain praise from whores who enjoy metrosexuals and pretty boys. It is also apparent that they tend to purchase the same clothing from the same stores to further their unoriginal regime. In short they're a flock of sheep, nay, a flock of cloned sheep..however there is a cheery upside to all of this..

Emos can not stay emo forever, it is something that nearly all of them will grow out of as they age and develop more masculine facial features, hair in manly places, and otherwise degenerate into balding sacks of meat.
SKULHEDFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #16
KontanKarite

Emo is a genre of music. But the context that people use it today is synonymous with "art fag".

To my observations, emo is the modern term used by the "macho" or those that don't align themselves with the emo scene of "someone who emasculates themselves".

In short, it's no different than the jocks in the 80s calling punks and goths "fags".

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:51 PM   #17
Jonathan

Softcore goth?
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:56 PM   #18
KontanKarite

I wonder why goths like to consider emos as "softcore goth".

So what exactly sets the difference between an emo and a goth if emo is "goth-lite"? Are their blacks not black enough?

I just always thought those terms were silly. Especially when you can tell a striking difference between the two.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:40 AM   #19
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellforgedX
Emo, to me, is the first name of a certain deadpan comedian who speaks in falsetto, had a supporting role in the movie "UHF", and likes coleslaw. Also, he's friends with "Weird" Al Yankovic, which makes him even cooler.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xN2vky...eature=related
Old 11-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #20
Maggoty Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Emo is a genre of music. But the context that people use it today is synonymous with "art fag".
Hey, what's wrong with being an art-fag?

And whatever happened to what was emo in 1999? Elliott Smith, is he just considered sadcore now?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:04 AM   #21
Maggoty Anne

Are skinny jeans considered emo now? Because 16 F is too cold for a skirt and stockings, and they're one of only two pairs of pants that I own.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:08 AM   #22
HellforgedX

Emo: for people who have the WAAAAAmbulance on speed-dial.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #23
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggoty Anne
Are skinny jeans considered emo now? Because 16 F is too cold for a skirt and stockings, and they're one of only two pairs of pants that I own.
Mostly when they're on guys.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:47 PM   #24
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
I wonder why goths like to consider emos as "softcore goth".

So what exactly sets the difference between an emo and a goth if emo is "goth-lite"? Are their blacks not black enough?

I just always thought those terms were silly. Especially when you can tell a striking difference between the two.
It was more of a tongue-in-cheek remark than anything else.

But since you mention it..

Emo styles always struck me as being kind-of-sort-of goth, or almost-but-not-quite punk, something along those lines. Since leaving school and working full time, those distinctions came to mean a lot less, but I never really saw emo as it's own thing. I still have a hard time recognizing it as a genre and mostly view it as watered down punk.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #25
KontanKarite

Fair enough, but it's kind of... actually, you know what... goth and emo look really fucking similar. Fuck it.