Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 01-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
ArtificialOne

Scooter Laws

Ok,

As present scooter/moped laws are anything under 50cc's and 5hp.. with a regular drivers license.

http://www.gekgo.com/state_scooter_laws.html

Now, I'm aware there's kids out there who hoon around and cause trouble on them. But they are a legitimate form of transport and should be taken more seriously here in the states.

At present the laws make it better to own a motorcycle (which is way more pricey). I've been into scooters now for 8 years and have seen a great uptake in them. I'd like more, lots more.

So this is what I propose be done. Get laws changed to increase size of scooters than can be driven on a regular car license, say 125cc's. That still isn't alot mind you, but due to our terrain here in america it'd make scooters more practical and available to more people in more areas. Scooters are cheap, easy to ride and great on gas.

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Tha Duckman

I was hoping that this would be able the happy hardcore group .
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
KontanKarite

I agree. Here in Louisville, there's a huge support for bicycles and such. But scooters can get you to other places. Maybe a scooter with 3 wheels and a side carrying pod would be rather awesome I think.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
CptSternn

Once again, the laws are there BECAUSE of right-wing oil hungry politicians keep Americans away from this sort of technology.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Tha Duckman

Scooter laws.
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
ArtificialOne

Prove your accusation stern.

And it's not a matter of tech, as much as laziness or overburdening bureacracy.

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 01-23-2008, 02:57 AM   #7
CptSternn

By your own admission: 'At present the laws make it better to own a motorcycle (which is way more pricey).'

Same goes for SUV's and large trucks.

Plus, you are bitching about the laws surrounding scooters, per your thread here. Do you think those laws just materialised out of thin air? Scooters are commonplace throughout Europe. They are a major form of transportation here, and can be bought and maintained for very, very little.

You start a thread complaining about the law, and then fail to realise the reason these laws are in place to begin with...
Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
ArtificialOne

Once again. No proof of your outlandish conspiracy theories.

And no, I'm not complaining about the law. I'm discussing it with other people to se there points of view. People who I might add, do not share your paranoid schitzophrenic ramblings about conspiracy thoeries and evil little men behind trees.

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 01-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
ZyklonB

But the men! They hide behind the trees and get you when you least expect it!
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #10
ArtificialOne

Just bought a new scoot! Check it out on myspace picture page! It's a Yamaha morphous 250cc scooter. It's f'n awesome. Looks like something out of bladerunner or akira.

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 07-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
Wormboy

Scooters < Motorcycles

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:13 AM   #12
Barfing_Rat

Damn! That is one NICE scooter! Didn't realize scooter look like this. I always expect scooter look something like this:
http://www.electricscooteroutlet.com...ic_Scooter.jpg

Funny thing is today my mom was talking to me about how I should get a driving license and a car and that she'll pay for them and first year of insurance. I was like "NO WAY! You're nut I'm trying to start a business by next year last thing I need is another huge expense" But after seeing how nice and big a scooter could be, it have made me reconsider the whole thing. I have a couple questions:

How much do similar scooter cost?

How much gas do they eat up?

How far can they go on a full gas tank?

Do I need insurance for them?

Thanks in advance.
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #13
ArtificialOne

Ok,

The msrp on mine is around 5,300.00. I didn't pay near that much cuz I'm a savy shopper. You can get a lesser brand with similar stuff for around 2,500.00

Mine gets around 60mpg. The motor's not broken in yet, I'm not exactly small, and I drive like a hoon.

I get around 220 miles per tank.

You can get insurance on anything. Really, just about anything. But the rules go as I have stated above: 50cc and below in most states you don't need tax, title or tags. Which means no insurance and no special license. Mine is a 250cc which requires a motorcycle license and insurance. I regularly own bikes so I hold a license already, and insurance is really cheap on these things. I pay and 1/8 of what my cars costs.

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 07-27-2008, 02:57 AM   #14
ionic_angel

Frankly, I'm libertarian. If people want to die on scooters, let them, it's their right.
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:21 AM   #15
PortraitOfSanity

Can I decorate the spokes on my scooter with the skulls of libertarians I run over? Cause decoration is my right too ya know?
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #16
ArtificialOne

Some say the goal of life is to live it responsibly and arrive at the gates standing tall and waiting to enter heaven.

Others (like me), will ride up to the gates broken and battered, powerslide in, stand up broken and battered and say "What a fuckin ride!"

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 07-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #17
medbh4805

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
By your own admission: 'At present the laws make it better to own a motorcycle (which is way more pricey).'

Same goes for SUV's and large trucks.

Plus, you are bitching about the laws surrounding scooters, per your thread here. Do you think those laws just materialised out of thin air? Scooters are commonplace throughout Europe. They are a major form of transportation here, and can be bought and maintained for very, very little.

You start a thread complaining about the law, and then fail to realise the reason these laws are in place to begin with...
Um, I've lived in Europe all my life, and I've never really seen that many scooters about. I saw loads when I was in America, though. In Ireland (the north, at least) you still have to take a CBT test for one. The fuel prices have risen here too, not just in America.
In fact the law is the same, with a moped defined as anything up to 50cc.
Most mopeds cost between £400-£600, not exactly cheap either. (I was considering getting one for my 16th. After a while I figured cycling was cheaper. )
medbh4805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:26 AM   #18
CptSternn

Germany, Italy, and France also have very large scooter communities.