Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 08-31-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Sir_Vex

Does experience really matter?

With the upcoming election, I've decided to post this little interesting article about whether or not experience has much of an effect in the Presidency. Being as that seems like a common complaint against Obama, it is a good read.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...7926-2,00.html

Thoughts? Comments?
Sir_Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Vex
With the upcoming election, I've decided to post this little interesting article about whether or not experience has much of an effect in the Presidency. Being as that seems like a common complaint against Obama, it is a good read.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...7926-2,00.html

Thoughts? Comments?
I liked the article, and it basically said the character of the one elected, and not their experience will shape their success or failure.

The article mentioned Nixon's vast experience in congress and in watching the Eisenhower administration take shape, but in the end his values (or the lack thereof) doomed him.

Obama's values will see him through despite his lack of experience. It is the ability to make the best choice, based on what is right that will carry the day.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Catch

That is a good point. Though Obama is a first term senator, he does have other political experience. It isn't like he is new. There is a lot of experience and connections a person makes simply being an activist.

Sarah Palin served on the city counsel for awhile before becoming governor. She wouldn't have gotten the office with some previous experience to put on her resume.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Godslayer Jillian

I will never understand why people say Obama's inexperienced.

I was going to say 'it seems', but it doesn't seem - it is nothing more than an idiotic rationalization repeated ad nauseum so that people might convince themselves there's an unpardonable fault with Obama.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Catch

Part of the job is working with people and security. I think a person should be a governor before being president. Frankily, governors deal with threats a lot more. Senators try charming people and being benevolent. Then they drive down streets with the convertible top down and have their brains end up in the laps.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
Sir_Vex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I will never understand why people say Obama's inexperienced.

I was going to say 'it seems', but it doesn't seem - it is nothing more than an idiotic rationalization repeated ad nauseum so that people might convince themselves there's an unpardonable fault with Obama.
I don't think it's so much that he's inexperienced, as he's inexperienced compared to some others.

One thing I do notice about him though (especially after reading an article on his election advisers) is that he picks excellent people for his team. This is the only thing that gives me faith in his possible eventual becoming President.

At first, I wasn't terribly sure about how to take this article given that it's from Rolling Stone, but it does seem to give a fair idea of who's on his team and a short description of why they're crack shots.

Obama's Brain Trust : Rolling Stone
Old 09-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
Sir_Vex

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
I liked the article, and it basically said the character of the one elected, and not their experience will shape their success or failure.

The article mentioned Nixon's vast experience in congress and in watching the Eisenhower administration take shape, but in the end his values (or the lack thereof) doomed him.

Obama's values will see him through despite his lack of experience. It is the ability to make the best choice, based on what is right that will carry the day.
Thank you for summarizing it. When I posted it, it didn't cross my mind to offer a summary or quote it.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:46 AM   #8
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain

Read interviews of Obama before the election started and after. Read what he voted for before he thought about running and after he started running.

Every person to ever be elected in the office of President of the United States has been a filthy liar. Don't bring character and morals into politics, it's naive.
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:55 AM   #9
JCC

Hopefully nobody expects things to change under Obama. That way you won't be disappointed.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:26 AM   #10
CptSternn

Whats funny is the people who claim Obama is inexperienced are the same people who claim Palin has plenty of experience.

Its safe to say they are bias, bias for a reason.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #11
JCC

Sarah Palin is the Republican answer to Hillary Clinton. Clinton has a feminist following that wanted to see Clinton become the first female president.

They do not want Sarah Palin, the right-wing socially conservative failure that represents the antithesis of social progress to be the first woman president because then the woman president is easily dismissable as bad, and lends more fuel to any misogynist fire. Of course, Hillary would be just as bad, but these are centrists, and have very few reasonable convictions.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
Catch

Here are some facts about how much experience Palin and Obama:

Sarah Palin
Previous Public JobsMayor of Wasilla , AK (1996-2002); President of Alaska Conference of Mayors;City Council member
Executive Experience Governor for 2 years;Mayor for 10 years

Barak Obama
Previous Public(1992-1996)State Senator (1997-2004);Community Organizer
Executive Experience None
Old 09-07-2008, 01:48 AM   #13
Joker_in_the_Pack

How the fuck is being a governor more valid for experience than a Senator?
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:26 AM   #14
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
Here are some facts about how much experience Palin and Obama:

Sarah Palin
Previous Public JobsMayor of Wasilla , AK (1996-2002); President of Alaska Conference of Mayors;City Council member
Executive Experience Governor for 2 years;Mayor for 10 years

Barak Obama
Previous Public(1992-1996)State Senator (1997-2004);Community Organizer
Executive Experience None
Wow, look at that... Obama and McCain have the same about of executive experience.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #15
Catch

. . . and they are both running for president. Palin should be the next president of the USA.

She was also mayor for ten years. That equals 12 years of executive experience.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
. . . and they are both running for president. Palin should be the next president of the USA.

She was also mayor for ten years. That equals 12 years of executive experience.
Yeah, to a population smaller than some high schools.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:34 AM   #17
CptSternn

...and a budget smaller than what I make in a year run out of a two room office/bait shop.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #18
Beneath the Shadows

And she did such a good job at it... that she faced a recall after just a couple of months.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #19
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Hopefully nobody expects things to change under Obama. That way you won't be disappointed.
Man, it's great to be an American.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #20
MitsyMayhem

I don't like Palin.
I think I've already said that.

But anyway.
I think everyone here should read this.
My dad and I discussed it last night:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michae..._b_124465.html
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #21
ArtificialOne

Yeah... Those same kinds of questions should be asked of Obama by the press. Oh wait.. they all have the Vaseline and are already bent over for him. The media needs to be overthrown, not the govt.

And for the ? about experience: If you owned a large company with hundreds of families well being in your hands, would you hire the neighborhood pizza delivery guy to run it for you?

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote