Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 06-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
Catch

Petition to Lower Gas Prices

Follow this link to the petition:

http://www.printnpost.com/articles/7...ces/Page1.html

I don't like writing things repeatedly
Old 06-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
I Am Great.

I can TOTALLY see this working! I hear that the Government is all about online petitions.
I Am Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:42 AM   #3
MollyMac

Write to your senator and representative instead, show up, call, and lobby. It won't do any more good than an online petition, but it won't feel as trite
Old 06-06-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
badteccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Great.
I can TOTALLY see this working! I hear that the Government is all about online petitions.
Yea totally.
This petition won't change shit, brovski.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:15 AM   #5
Fleur

Here are two ideas for folks who believe we should be drilling for our own oil on our own shores and getting out of OPECs pockets:Operation Drill Bit.
Send your congressman and representatives a drill bit in the mail. Include with it a little statement that simply states it's time to drill our own oil. Make sure you mail the bits to their Washington DC addresses not their local or district addresses.
Another online petition and campaign is at americansolutions.com
these are just ideas not a conversation point.
Fleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Catch

I think they should find a way of using animal fat to produce the same type of oil left behind by the dinosaurs.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
MollyMac

Ride a bike.

Walk.

Deal.

We were over subsidized anyway. Cope.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
Barfing_Rat

Personally I cannot really care. I think majority of people who drives doesn't really need a car. Many people I know drive just more for status. For example one of my friend's wife refuse to walk half mile to college campus because she consider it a low class thing to do. I have know people who drive a mile or two to gym instead of walk or jogs.

Also what's wrong with public transport? I know some city public transport suck! But... I've lived in many different places, even in my tiny city, the public transport is very good. Yet people want to drive to work or other place.

I think this is just pathetic and lame. I think only time car is actually necreassy is if they're gonna to take whole family somewhere, make a trip that would involve moving a large bulk of something such as grocery trip or something, emergency travel, etc...

Yet most people seems to act like it's their right to drive everywhere even if it's just a block away in their huge gas guzzling vehicle then complain about gas price and the environment.

So I can't say I feel too bad about gas price. In my eyes, people make their own bed, so now they can sleep in it. If they are genuinely careful about gas price and everything, they'd have get something with better MPG and not drive around everywhere so much when they can either walk or take public transport and do more carpooling. But no... I still see all huge gas guzzling cars out there and people driving everywhere.

So I can't really feel sorry about the gas price. Go ahead and burn me at stake.
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:18 AM   #9
Extraordinary

An online petition to lower gas prices.

CEOs of the "big oil" companies have already been interrogated by congress...again. All they have to do is shrug and blame it on supply and demand. The senators then point out that oil companies continue to bring in record-breaking profits every quarter. They give no answer, and nothing happens.

It will take more of this to lower gas prices: http://news.**********/s/ap/20080605..._protest_fires
(Change asterisks to Yahoo dot com)

Then again you might be seeing that just over gasoline availability.

OMG! sux! x.x;
Old 06-07-2008, 02:12 AM   #10
Godslayer Jillian

My car has a device that measures the average miles per hour it travels when it is turned on.
It is fifteen miles per hour.
In bigger cities, this average is five miles per hour.
A friend of mine rides his bike from Juarez to our college in El Paso in the same time I do taking my car.
Cars do not save us time. It is merely an illusion. Only a handful of people see their leisure time extended significantly by owning one of these behemoths.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #11
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I actually benefited from higher gas prices: my employer allows me to work from home one day a week now! If prices keep rising, I may get to transfer to a branch office that is a lot closer to home, reducing my commute time and my gas expenses. .

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #12
CptSternn

That petition is pretty much worthless. So is the campaigns floating around in forwarded emails telling you not to buy gas on one day or not to buy gas from a certain company.

First, oil is a WORLD commodity. Even if one country like America got everyone living there to sign said petition and congress moved to pass legislation to force the oil companies to do something, oil companies would still ignore it because the global demand is still very high and they can sell the same amount of oil to another country.

Think of it like eBay. If you see something there that has like 100 bidders and its very pricey, do you think it will change anything if you don't buy it? Start a petition against the seller because they charge too much? Do you think by abstaining from bidding that the auction for that item will somehow just end?

This is a global market. People need more and more oil. Every major world power is buying stockpiles of the stuff. If any country has a problem with it, they don't have to buy it - there is a world full of other bidders waiting to take that countries share.

I am no fan of oil companies. I am in several campaigns now against a few of them. That being said, their answers in congress were very honest. Yes, they are making record breaking profits, however, the world demand is way up. They can't just lower prices - this is like an auction, and countries are all bidding. America likes it when the price is lower, but as long as the rest of the world is willing to pay more, then Americans have to shell out to keep up with the bidding so to speak.

Thats capitalism for you. Oil is sold on an open market to the highest bidder. As long as there are bidders out there who are willing to pay the high price, there is nothing anyone can do to lower the prices.

America has gotten a double whammy so to speak. With oil being sold in dollars, when the dollar devalues it pushes up the price of oil...for America. With global demand going up and other currencies rising strong against the dollar, countries can still buy oil without noticing a huge increase since their currencies aren't dollars. Thanks to the strong Euro, oil prices in Europe haven't seen a huge increase. With the bush administration running a trillion dollar deficit, they sank the value of the dollar and in turn created the perfect storm - pushing up the price of oil and at the same time making the dollar worth less so Americans have to spend more dollars to buy the now inflated pricey oil.

There is nothing America can do on an open market. No act of congress, a petition, protests, or anything else will change the fact that the world oil market is changing in such a way that oil will no longer be readily available for mass consumption.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
MollyMac

They can get off their fat asses and ride a bike.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:57 AM   #14
Catch

Working closer to home or in your home is another option.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:59 AM   #15
Catch

That doesn't do anything for the massive generators burning up coal everyday so people can have heat and electricity.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #16
KontanKarite

I've said this before and it's quite true I think. Certain cities and towns in the USA need a retooling.

Essentially, you SHOULD be able to step outside of your home, walk a half a block or a bit more, get your necessities, and come back home.

Want to be a millionaire after gas prices are too brutal for just about everyone? Open a shopping center right in the fucking middle of the suburbs.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #17
JCC

When will people learn that online petititions don't solve anything of significance?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
MollyMac

One more day, JCC. Just one more day.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #19
Rorschach Twin

Stop wasting your time on this trash and start signing important petitions.

http://tv.popcrunch.com/bill-maher-r...results-video/

like a petition to fire Bill Maher

and tabloids, apparently.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #20
acrossthedam

Buy a smart car, or WALK, the amount of gas you consume is your responsibility, and even if the U.S. stopped doing taxes on gas it would only be 35-40 cents cheaper a gallon (I believe that is the number I read but if I’m wrong please tell me otherwise). Gas will go down when another energy source is more convenient to use, and so in my opinion it's almost a good thing because this is forcing companies to find alternatives (not ethanol!!!!!!!!). And just like coal, we as a people will move on.
acrossthedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #21
MollyMac

No it isn't forcing them to find alternatives, it forces them into new marketing and speculation.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #22
Tea and Cake or Death

Um...so, like..what? They need me to sign a petition to help them understand? As if they don't already KNOW we want lower prices? They don't care what we want or what we sign.
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #23
Barfing_Rat

Well know what? I say fuck cars! Make car ridiculously expensive and next to impossible to own unless the person is extremely wealthy. For those who actually need a car, they should have a document that clearly stated they actually absolutely need a car/truck and it should be issued by the government accord to what they need it for.

90% of people don't truly need a car. They just want one to be "high class" and they drive like a idiot while talking on cell phone, yell at kids in back seat, put on make up, eat their lunch, and watch movies. It damage the environment, cause lot of injuries, increase health problems, and make people less socializing and more timid which is never a good thing. Just force them to take public transport and so many problems will be fixed.
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #24
acrossthedam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
No it isn't forcing them to find alternatives, it forces them into new marketing and speculation.
I respectably disagree with you MollyMac; while speculation is a problem with gas prices I think that the positive spin is that more alternatives will become available to the American public. When the human race is in a sticky situation we almost always find another alterative and then as a society moves on. It’s like ice cream, a vendor ran out a bowls so he took a waffle from the stand next to him rolled it up and made the first ice cream cone and now you go to an ice cream place and there are not only waffles and bowls there are waffle bowls dipped in chocolate and nuts. GM will be coming out with a car in 2010 that is called the Volt, it is a super hybrid with plans boasting perhaps one hundred miles per an hour, that’s an option for the American people that can reduce their dependency on gas and help out Michigan’s economy and provide jobs. I understand peoples hate for big business and the feeling of control they have over our lives, but my best friend’s father has lost his job and they had to move away. I live in a state that is so far in debt that single mothers programs have been cut and people are starving, it’s not a good situation in any event. Alternative options can bring the money back into the U.S. We have large amounts of coal that could be used (although I am not a fan of the environmental problems with strip mining) If we can even take our dependency on foreign oil down 25% with alternative vehicles that get better gas mileage it’ll free up gas in the worlds economy, and even if the price doesn’t go down in a more efficient vehicle the cost of operation will go down. Options are what keep economy’s growing, without different ice cream holding devices who knows where we would be! We might still be licking the bottom of a Styrofoam bowl, and without new more efficient vehicles we might have to give up having a full and satisfying life on the move.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #25
acrossthedam

I apoligise, when talking about the Volt I meant to say that it is projected to have 100 miles to the gallon.