Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 06-14-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
emeraldlonewoulf

Campaign for Liberty, Ron Paul - opinions?

Campaign for Liberty

What do you all think of this? Instead on merely conceding defeat and then supporting McCain, as most other 'R' candidates would do, he is agitating for building a third party, based on older republican and libertarian leaning ideals. Do you think this is good for our country? Do you think it might, by some slim chance, actually start to change things? I do like the idea of having an option to the two party system, and there are several libertarian ideas of which I am in favor. Neither Obama nor McCain seem to support or even bring up issues or perspectives I like.

I guess what I'm asking is, even though this probably won't have much effect on who ends up in office this time around, do you think there is potential for long term, meaningful change from something like this? Comments?

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
PortraitOfSanity

Highly doubtful that it would change anything, we've had third party candidates for as long as we've had elections. Since you brought them up, the Libertarian Party for example has been around since the early 1970's, and they still have little support, other than a small dedicated core, which is the pattern for most of other parties that aren't in the mainstream.

I'd vote for Ron Paul over McCain if those were my only two choices, but even his somewhat liberal conservatism is too much for me to give him much support.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
Despanan

Everytime I hear someone say the words "Ron Paul" proceeded by anything remotely resembling the words "I support" I immediately stop listening to anything they have to say. From what I've personally seen every single supporter that man has seems to be some combination of "tinfoil-hat-wearing whack-job" and "radical libertarian survivalist".

I suppose you can't hold him entirely to blame for all the people he attracts to his cause, but still; DAMN do the crazies come out of the woodwork for that man.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
PortraitOfSanity

Do you even know where he stands on... anything?

Saying someone's crazy because they're outspoken or have a different opinion than you, is pretty childish.

I'm about as far to the left as you can go, and I have very little in common with the Libertarian party, but they still have a right to have their opinion heard.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
Despanan

...And I never said anything about his politics or him personally. I said that in my experience every single Ron Paul supporter that I have met has been a whacko, and thus I ignore them for the most part.

Watch that knee of yours; it tends to jerk.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:03 AM   #6
PortraitOfSanity

My knee's just fine thanks.

And you realize you're posting in a forum titled "Politics" right?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #7
Despanan

Yep. I read stuff before I post.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
Splintered

So, what exactly is Ron Paul trying to do? Is this going to be an entirely new political party like the Green Party of the Libertarian Party, or is this going to be an advocacy group like the NRA?
Old 06-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #9
KontanKarite

Hopefully something at least POSITIVE for a change. Who knows? Probably nothing.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
PortraitOfSanity

Follow in the glorious footsteps of Ralph Nader and run every four years, getting massacred every time, and never getting the hint that he's unelectable is my guess.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:36 AM   #11
CptSternn

I like Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich however as long as the mainstream parties sideline them and label them as nutters they will never stand a chance.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:19 AM   #12
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
I like Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich however as long as the mainstream parties sideline them and label them as nutters they will never stand a chance.
And why would they NOT label them as nutters? Who want competition anyway?
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:44 PM   #13
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn

That's slightly true. Damn shame.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #14
DepthsofSpace

I am hoping it won't be another third-party, rather a advocacy and grassroots campaign to take over the Republican party and turn it into a more libertarian, small-government party, rather than the neo-con juggernaut that it has become.

I've still got my Ron Paul sticker, flanked by my Libertarian Party ones on my car. I'll be voting Bob Barr (even though I don't like him) as more-or-less a protest against the two main parties.

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #15
Megansmom

Bob Carr is a better libertarian candidate than Ron Paul. Actually, he's the better candidate all around. My opinion.
Both candidates are for smaller government, more personal freedom and responsibilities , keeping the sovereignty of our country and taking care of us first. Both would follow the constitution to the letter, Ron Paul a little more and cut government spending , which very few of our current reps and pres do but Bob Carr has a realistic approach to getting Iraq on their feet and less dependent on our troops to keep the peace.
Bob Carr has the right idea, if you really want to see change in our political system vote in a third party . This would send a message loud and clear to the rest of our political leaders.
Besides , I like nuts.
Megansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #16
DepthsofSpace

You mean Bob Barr, right? ^_-

Though I do agree with what you are saying, Bob Barr, less than a decade ago was pretty much a fucking Newt Grigrich-isque, closet NeoCon.

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote