Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
NecromanticSunshine

Edward Gorey...thoughts?

I have two books of his. The Object-Lesson and The Epiplectic Bicycle.

First off, does ANYONE know what the heck "epiplectic" means? I've looked in my dictionaries at home and I looked on Dictionary.com and I can't find it!

Now, With The Object-Lesson, I'm having trouble deciphering it. I've deciphered bits and pieces, defining some words with the help of my english teacher a couple of years ago. Any thoughts on this story? It just bugs me.
NecromanticSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
Gnossos

If it's any help, my Big Black Dictionary (the 1954 OED) defines 'epiplexus' as "A figure of rhetoric which endeavours to convince by a kind of upbraiding. Hence epiplectic (a.) of the nature of."

Typical Gorey. He often made use of obscure and archaic words. My parents had several of his little books from the 1950's; I especially remember one that had strange creatures, one to a page, which uttered a single word, like "Obloquy." Sadly, they have been lost; undoubtably, some rotten children (my brother and sister) defaced and then tore them to shreds.

Your post made me laugh- a couple of years ago, I named a pair of ferrets that came to the Humane Society Embley and Yewbert. The guy who adopted them was a big Gorey fan. Don't you just love serendipity?
Gnossos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
Gnossos

I meant to say 'epiplexis'. Stupid five-minute edit.
Gnossos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:52 PM   #4
ennui

I adore Gorey ! If your not familiar with his art or writing, you can read the Gashleycrum Tinies here -

http://www.wishville.co.uk/gorey/
ennui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:32 PM   #5
Betrothed2Death

epileptic |?ep??leptik| adjective of, relating to, or having epilepsy
epilepsy |?ep??leps?| noun a neurological disorder marked by sudden recurrent episodes of sensory disturbance, loss of consciousness, or convulsions, associated with abnormal electrical activity in the brain.

Hope that helped.
And Gorey.... Yeah, he's my fantasy lover. We have poetic sex all night long.
I own Amphigory Too, and a Calender of the Evil Garden (at least I think that's what it's called, I'm too lazy to go and look at it ^.^); I plan on greatly expanding my collection of Gorey works ASAP. I want to steal the poster of the Gashycrumb Tinies that an English teacher has. I love the Gashlycrumb Tinies. And I love that teacher. He's amazing.
Betrothed2Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Betrothed2Death

I concur, however, I'm determined to think that Gorey was implying that the bicycle had brain trauma as opposed to attempting to sway people with its eloquence.

And limerick sex???? Oh dear, that IS bad... I suggest you find a new partner.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
Betrothed2Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
I was teasing, of course, but it's definitely not poetic. Not the kind of "poetic" most people associate with sex, anyway. There's nothing gentle or awe-inspiring about it.
Are you talking about YOUR sex or sex in general?????

Aheh.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
Betrothed2Death

Haha, oh... well... maybe reading Gorey aloud to one another in the midst of passion might improve a couple things? But that could just get messy...
Old 03-23-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
Betrothed2Death

No problem. (deja vu? O.o :O :P) and yes, damnit I like my smiley faces, deal. !!!!!!
Old 03-23-2006, 05:06 PM   #10
Corpus_Draconis

I love Edward Gorey. I have Amphigorey and Amphigorey Too. I think one of my favourites is The Beastly Baby. An other of my favs is The Inanimate Trajedy. I should get my parents to bring the books down next time they come...
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:00 PM   #11
DemureDemise

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs, B is for Basil assaulted by bears.

Makes me giggle every time.
DemureDemise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:35 PM   #12
Betrothed2Death

YAY! I just got Amphigorey so now I have Amphigorey and Amphigorey Too!! I'm going in for A.. Also next time muahaha.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #13
corporalaccident

ACK I love that man. He saves my day. I have an agenda for school that's all Gorey-esque, and I have the Gashlycrumb Tinies strung around my room. I have that book too. And I've read manyyyy of his other works. GREAT MAN! ::bows in worship::
corporalaccident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #14
Jane13

Edward Gorey! I've loved his artwork since before I knew who he was.... when I was little, my Granny always watched Mystery! on PBS and I'd stay up just to watch the cartoons before the show.

I really didn't know very much about him untill I saw his obituary on Sunday Morning with Charles Cor-what's his face.

Then I picked up Amphigorey Too, fell in love with it and memorised "The Stupid Joke" or a poetry performance unit in seventh grade. I LOVE that guy...

A really cool stoe with gorey merch-

goreydetails.com
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:10 PM   #15
Steel & Bismark

Edward Gorey is awesome. I was first exposued to him when i was like 12? or was that when i got my sister's books by him? Eitherway he's an awesomly morbid man. I love the little introduction sequence he did for the PBS show Mystery.
Steel & Bismark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:13 PM   #16
ashleyxnicole

My icon is Edward Gorey. xD
ashleyxnicole is offline   Reply With Quote