Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Steppenwolf

Doctor Who

This british show is running since the 60s , being the stuff for children nightmares , children fantasies and children toys ... But if you know it , you know it's much more than a family show , and can kick most of the other so called "shows" (yes , I mean Star Trek too) .

When Doctor Who is good , is the best television you can get . It's high quality sci fi and action , and keeps you hidding behind the sofa or unable to blink (most of the time are both at the same time). There is no other series like it , you can have Star Trek Enterprise but you simply can't tell the whovians "Doctor Who Next" ... The doctor is the doctor , period ... The Tardis will never change for another device , the doctor has another body but we know it is still the same old character we love .

When Doctor Who is bad (and to say "bad" is to say "sucks")..... we whovians feel furious and tell everyone how much sucks the bloody Doctor Who (damm you , Russell T Davies!) , while waiting for the next episode , like Pavlov's dog ... Because we know , the next one is probably going to be great , THE greatest maybe ... And we don't want to miss it .
So , how many whovians are here , which doctor is "the best" and which are your favourite episodes? (and tell me that you are happy that Davies and Tennant are gone forever, make me feel less lonely , please)
Old 01-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
ThreeEyesOni

The episode "Blink" made me nervous to do so for some time. >_>
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Solumina

I really don't understand why so many people have an issue with Tennant, he kind of bugged me in his first few episodes but after that I really liked him. Though I have only seen a few episodes older than 2005 so maybe whatever it is that seems to bug people about him has something to do with how past Doctors are played and I just don't get it.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
menus era sota

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeEyesOni
The episode "Blink" made me nervous to do so for some time. >_>

oh shit yes! originally it was episode 3 from the first season with christopher ecclson (spelling?) with the gelth. but that was freaky.

love Doctor who. i bootleg russian dvd of it - it cut otu halfway through - fucking bitches.
menus era sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Haunted House

I like David Tennent, but thats probably because I started watching while he was The Doctor seeing as I wasn't alive until 1988. Most people find Tom Baker to be the best Doctor. I'll admit, he was really awesome and I liked his quirks, but I think I'm more used to Tennant. Plus, his fast paced actions make it all really unboring. Baker had a really good sense of humor, not to mention his facial expressions. As I'm sure it is for a lot, it comes down to Baker and Tennent for the best Doctors.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
Necrophagist

Daleks can suck my dick. I'll just nuke them.

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
a morbid curiosity

Tennant's my favourite Doctor.
Pity Billie Piper and Catherine Tate annoy me so much. Whatsername was alright.

But in all honesty I don't watch it too often.
I like Blink, and the one with Madame de Pompadour.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
ThreeEyesOni

I don't really get the issues with Tennant. I can see why people have things against the bits when he's supposed to be angry; he has an odd way of it, but I think it's fitting with the character and just boils doing to the way expressions form on his face.

Not my favorite Doctor ever, but certainly a good one.

Dalek is probably one of my favorite episodes. I had about the same reaction as the Doctor when Dalek "woke up." Basically it went "oh fuck oh FUCK run run fuckfuck RUN!" I think he was the best choice of actor for that scene, because it really was an important one for the new series.

Blink, as I already said, was also great. I'm also very fond of Midnight. The end of the 2nd season was very sad to me. I loved the return of the Master, and I think that the ending of whatever-its-name was, the one where he came back... the ending of that episode was great. Derek Jacobi was perfect. John Simm made an amazing Master, one who was just pushed beyond sanity or even caring anymore by what he saw in the Time War.

I'm going to be sad to see the end of the Tenth Doctor, but Matt Smith seems like he has the basic qualities needed to pull off the role well. Ammong other things, I'll be glad to have the Rose arc closed off. As much as I jumped for joy when she 'ported in at the end of the 4th season, I think that it's got good closure.

I just want the season enders to have a little less cheese than the last two. "Floaty Jesus Doctor" was a little much, and Doctor-Donna was brough on too quickly for my likeing.

Turn Left was a very good episode as well.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #9
Mealla

I haven't seen the older Dr. Who series, but my favorite was Christopher Eccleston. Whether it's because I like him as an actor, or whether it was because he was the first doctor I saw, I don't know. I don't really care for Tennant myself, but ironically enough, almost everyone I know who likes Dr. Who loves Tennant. I've never heard anyone other than myself express distaste for him.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
menus era sota

Quote:

I'm going to be sad to see the end of the Tenth Doctor, but Matt Smith seems like he has the basic qualities needed to pull off the role well. Ammong other things, I'll be glad to have the Rose arc closed off. As much as I jumped for joy when she 'ported in at the end of the 4th season, I think that it's got good closure.

what?! oh god. i've missed so much. i moved to America (without cable or satilite)... and there's an 11th doctor? how did they get by (if i remember correctly) the fact that he can only regenerate 10 times?

yea, i watched some black and white ones (tomb of the cyber men i think) that was fun - the cyber gnats i swear had glued on googley eyes or similar . and i think i saw another with tom baker.

did anyone read 'day of the daleks'? pretty good. i also tried an adventure book (create your own fan-fucking-tastic adventure with doctor who!) because it was around, but it was waaay to complex (for an art student) and the end result was always death.

what do we all think of torchwood?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:43 PM   #11
Steppenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by menus era sota
and there's an 11th doctor?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/ne...090103_news_01

I don't know what to think about a young actor playing old Who . For god's sake he is only 26 .......... He is as old as me!!
Yesterday I saw the last Christmas Special and I think it wasn't right to give David Morrissey a try , he did a good job ... Or what about having Christopher Eccleston back (that would be , yeah , "fantastic")...

Anyways I'm glad that Davies goes , and same for Tennant . Eccleston was a much better , funier , superior Doctor , with the tonge where it belongs : Inside one's mouth .
Old 01-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
menus era sota

matt smith....i dunno i'm not especially thrilled. maybe i'm wrong, but it's almost as if they put him in just for the tweeny girls - but he's not even attractive at that. whatever, i guess we'll see.
so no one knows about the regeneration thing? (that it only happens 10 times, i believe)
Old 01-30-2009, 10:46 AM   #13
Beowulf

Cool

I`ve been watching Doctor Who since I was a kid, and I think Tom Baker is the all time best Doctor Who !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
menus era sota

this is WELL worth a watch! it's hilarious and you'll love it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5v2JA4Vj_s
Old 01-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #15
Beowulf

Talking

Quote:

That was really funny !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #16
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I don't really get the issues with Tennant. I can see why people have things against the bits when he's supposed to be angry; he has an odd way of it, but I think it's fitting with the character and just boils doing to the way expressions form on his face.

Not my favorite Doctor ever, but certainly a good one.

Dalek is probably one of my favorite episodes. I had about the same reaction as the Doctor when Dalek "woke up." Basically it went "oh fuck oh FUCK run run fuckfuck RUN!" I think he was the best choice of actor for that scene, because it really was an important one for the new series.

Blink, as I already said, was also great. I'm also very fond of Midnight. The end of the 2nd season was very sad to me. I loved the return of the Master, and I think that the ending of whatever-its-name was, the one where he came back... the ending of that episode was great. Derek Jacobi was perfect. John Simm made an amazing Master, one who was just pushed beyond sanity or even caring anymore by what he saw in the Time War.

I just want the season enders to have a little less cheese than the last two. "Floaty Jesus Doctor" was a little much, and Doctor-Donna was brough on too quickly for my likeing.

Those are some of my very favorite episodes, too.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #17
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
what?! oh god. i've missed so much. i moved to America (without cable or satilite)... and there's an 11th doctor? how did they get by (if i remember correctly) the fact that he can only regenerate 10 times?
Well if that is true then this is his 10th time regenerating, the first doctor doesn't count because he never had to regenerate.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:00 AM   #18
menus era sota

oh yea. cheers.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:11 AM   #19
Steppenwolf

Not 10 times , I think it's 12 or 13 .
Old 02-01-2009, 01:12 AM   #20
Steppenwolf

Quote:
Haha , I've seen it so many times , but it's still funny ...
Old 02-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #21
Opteron_Man

I am downloading the 1st season of the 2005 series, right now. 4.44GB!
I am not familier with Doctor Who, but a close friend of mine in the U.S told me it was worth watching.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #22
menus era sota

they're right. although, i find it funny that back in the day they had such horrendous special effects, but fast forward to that new episode with Shakespeare and the witchy aliens, and they still have pretty bad effects. That's one of the reason i also like the old ones - the special effects.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #23
Opteron_Man

Hey! this is a good thread folks! Let's keep 'er going!
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #24
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by menus era sota View Post
so no one knows about the regeneration thing? (that it only happens 10 times, i believe)
Yeah the original story said 10 times but i think they just changed it for longevity.

Like they changed the Doctor to be an alien after the first series.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:00 AM   #25
Vivi

The best doctors were Sylvester Mc coy and Patrick Throughton in my opinion. There is nothing cooler than a question mark shaped umbrella and a Beatles haircut. The best episode EVER has to be Invasion with the second doctor. I remember seeing that as a little kid and the cybermen scared the holy Jesus out of me. Oh, and I have a replica Tom Baker scarf. IT RADIATES AWESOMENESS.
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote