Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:28 AM   #1
NightmareInShiningArmour

Red Streaks HELP

Well I REALLY want red streaks... they just look cool. Problem is I asked the hairdresser and she told me it would be fairly pricey (around 50-80 i cant remember) and that it would only last about 4 weeks in total. and within 2 it would start to go pink :S
Is there a way I could do it myself anyway? like get my mum to streak it or something and a way that would last longer?
HELP ME PLEASE!!!
NightmareInShiningArmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:34 AM   #2
Minyaliel

What hair colour have you got? If it's light, there's no problem, just get a permanent dye. But if you've got darker hair, I'd recommend you to save up some money to have it professionally done, because else the fuck- up rate is way too high. Especially if you've dyed your hair black previously (and still have black hair, of course). You could try to get on of those products that strip the colour from your hair (do NOT, I repeat, Not try to bleach your hair yourself) and then dye it, but be aware that stripped hair does behave in a distinctly odd way, and that you might end up with hot pink or something instead of that lovely red if you're not careful. Go to the hairdresser.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:39 AM   #3
NightmareInShiningArmour

Should have mentioned hair colour. It's a dark dyed black.
But like I said, the haridresser said it would go in about 2 weeks to pink and be almost gone in 4 weeks. I don't want pink streaks. Is there a way for it to last longer?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:34 AM   #4
Minyaliel

Let the hairdresser strip out the colour and then put in some permanent dye. It worked for me when I did it in April (I got rid of my blue- black colour entirely and dyed it fire red). Actually, because the stripping process does odd things to your hair my hair actually refuses to let go of the red now that it's in. *oddness* The colour is as vibrant as the day I put it in.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
Disaffected Shoelaces

Red streaks... sounds like more hassle than it's worth. To be honest, red hair dye - even permanent - fades so quickly that coughing up to get streaks done professionally seems like a lot of expense for a two or three week payoff. If I were you, I'd go for something easier to maintain, but I suppose it depends how much you really want them.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
shogem

A cheap alternative--clip in extensions. They're bright, they come out after your day of wear, and they're not going to fade on you.
shogem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #7
Tea and Cake or Death

Submitted for your approval:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4IuiArHpEQ
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
ForgetThisLostLenore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
Let the hairdresser strip out the colour and then put in some permanent dye. It worked for me when I did it in April (I got rid of my blue- black colour entirely and dyed it fire red). Actually, because the stripping process does odd things to your hair my hair actually refuses to let go of the red now that it's in. *oddness* The colour is as vibrant as the day I put it in.
I stripped my hair of a red that was the result of a purple I dyed it. I used some kit that I got from Wal-Mart, and dyed it blonde.

My hair held onto that blonde to the end, and I tried to dye it red, and that didn't work. I completely trashed my hair in the process of trying to fix that, and had to get most of it cut off simply because it looked awful.

Now it has professionally bleached highlights, but my hair is still slightly red at the ends from all the color I kept trying to put in. Now I cover it up with Manic Panic...

Suggest not stripping any color out yourself, and most of the time, it's just better to go to a professional.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetThisLostLenore
Suggest not stripping any color out yourself, and most of the time, it's just better to go to a professional.
It's not so bad the first time. It only gets to a bad idea when you bleach your hair white every couple of weeks to get a new vibrant colour in. Thats how I lost my mohawk XD. 'Tis a good thing I look good bald!

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:07 AM   #10
NightmareInShiningArmour

Come to think about it. Would purple be any better? Like, would it stay in any longer or better? and what colour would it fade to?
Old 07-16-2008, 04:36 AM   #11
KontanKarite

How black are we talking?

I just dyed my hair red. What I find is that if you simply stack red dye on top of faded black hair, it looks BLOOD red and will shimmer in the sun. That's what mine does. It glows in the daylight. It also changes color from red, rust, and black.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:41 AM   #12
NightmareInShiningArmour

Recently dyed black. As in about two weeks old. It's pretty much black black black. Really dark.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:44 AM   #13
TopHaggardDoll

You're basically screwed then. Get extensions if you don't want your hair to fall out.

You CAN do it. I did but my now "fringe" thing is half the length of the hair at the front and i'm lucky enough to be a hairdresser that can sort the disgusting fried bits out with some scissors.

I highly recommend extensions, if you wanna take the risk...go for it.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:57 AM   #14
NightmareInShiningArmour

See, I have this teased part on the top of my head that I want purple or red and I want my whole fringe purple or red so extensions wouldn't work. It MAY for the fringe, but it won't for the teased part.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:22 AM   #15
Cicero

Just buy some regular hair bleach and red/purple dye and get a friend to help put in some streaks. I'd been dying my hair black for 4 years when I decided to bleach parts of it out to dye red, and it worked fine. Now I have my sides cut short and bleach/dye them all sorts of colours with no worries about it falling out. My boyfriend managed to get his formerly black-dyed hair WHITE after a few bleaches. Sure, it went stretchy and frizzed up a bit, but it didn't fall out and his deathhawk still stood high.

Just go for it, it's really not that hard if you use some common sense (like using a lot of conditioner on bleached hair - helps prevent it from drying out and breaking, and don't leave the bleach in for more than half an hour at a time).

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:28 AM   #16
NightmareInShiningArmour

I reckon I might do that. I'll talk to mum about it so she can help me. The only problem with that is that washing it constantly makes my hair lose it's tease-ability. I will do that. Would it screw my hair up if I were to not wash it for about.. 3 days or so? like wash it every 3 days?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:04 AM   #17
Cicero

I wash mine once a week, so yeah, you'll be fine. Just use minimal shampoo and lots of conditioner after it's been bleached and dyed.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:23 AM   #18
NightmareInShiningArmour

No shampoo and plenty of conditioner?
And mum's going all shitty because the school will most likely not allow it. Don't you love how your hair immediately extreme as soon as a slightly un natural colour is added to your hair?
Old 07-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #19
Solumina

What I do is condition my hair every day but only use shampoo every other day, at the most. This seems to keep my hair from getting too upset with me for constantly getting bored with it and changing the color every month or so
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #20
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour
No shampoo and plenty of conditioner?
And mum's going all shitty because the school will most likely not allow it. Don't you love how your hair immediately extreme as soon as a slightly un natural colour is added to your hair?
Fuck 'em, do it anyway

Old 07-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #21
NightmareInShiningArmour

I would love to Breathless, but this is my mum. If she doesn't do it, I probably won't be able to get a friend to do it. I just don't think they'd wanna lol. My girlfriend would.. Except she's in another state now -.-
I guess I'll have to try and get a friend to do it. Mum most likely won't if the school aren't gonna allow it.
Also, what colour does purple fade to? Red?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #22
Breathless Horror

When I had purple hair it faded to a wierd pinky colour, but that was because I'd made my own purple dye by combining red and blue, so it could just have been the proportions. It took a fair while for it to fade though. Good luck getting them done! If you do manage, you should make sure to post pics of it in the picture thread.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #23
Solumina

When I had purple it faded to a purplish blue within a week (then again it was temporary) and eventually faded to a rather icky color but that was my natural golden blond showing through (I didn't bother to bleach my hair at all)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #24
NightmareInShiningArmour

If I get it done, I'll be sure to post pics!
God I hope I can. I have to get some more cash though. I have to pay a phone bill of $200 which sucks. If mum says she won't do it, I'll ask around and get it done. Mwuahaha, she can't stop me! I'm a rebellious teenager! HAHA! *sarcasm*