Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 09-20-2012, 04:30 AM   #76
Versus

Being a white minority in a country heavily influenced by colonialism? HMMMMM I WONDER.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:39 AM   #77
Corpsey

Mocambique got it worse. Seriously. The Portuguese have a way with making sure to vilify themselves when it comes to Colonialism. Just doing stupid pointless things to make it harder for other people and then go, "oh, my bad" when civil war furthermore ensues after they leave. And allowing for the planting of mines to create havoc for the next dozen or so generations. Yeah. Dat minority.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #78
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
Did anyone see the daily show recently where they compared Mitt Romney wishing he was a Latino and having a Black and Latino lady compare their lives to Mitt Romney's life and how affirmative action makes it easier for them to live?

That was priceless.
This one?

http://nysiaf.org/2012/09/19/daily-s...-to-be-latino/

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #79
Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Correct. That's the one.

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #80
Versus

I laughed at it, too. Though I suspect that people don't know enough to realize that's not how affirmative action works.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:44 AM   #81
Corpsey

Elaborate to me how AA works in the states? I've forgotten the concepts that AA takes on in the states.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #82
Versus

Well, for one, it's not a law and does not have legal weight. It is an initiative that refers to things such as recruitment and outreach. It is purely optional, and "The standard of compliance is good faith," and only something like 20% of companies have any sort of program like that, and their mostly fortune 500 companies that use it as a PR tool. In order to be considered to have a part of this initiative, an employer only needs to have one form of outreach. Women, minorities, the disabled, even a veteran can be a diversity hire because job applications ask if the applicant had ever served in the military.

Where racism comes into play is this utter ignorance that schools and employers have some sort of minority quota, that somehow defenseless able-bodied white men are losing job opportunity to minorities because of affirmative action.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #83
ape descendant

LOL racial privilege? What's that?

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #84
Versus

Oh geeze, I fucking love this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkwB76o-3Go

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #85
Elystan

Thread smells of butthurt
Elystan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #86
JCC

The white people who are most hilarious are the ones going along with this thread, like laughing at cracker jokes means they've transcended their own whiteness. This thread is bullshit, do you occupy your theoretical world of white privilege this and patriarchy that to the point where you've lost any sense of self? Does being pally with the exaggerated militant Mexican guy schtick take the sting off being middle class college educated white people? I'm really unclear on your place here, on your desire to be in on the joke when the point is that you're not meant to be
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #87
Versus

I think you're the only one who minds.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #88
Miss Absynthe

Umm.. white-privilege and patriarchy aren't theoretical.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #89
Alan

But he's right, a British teenager would know more about racism in the border than me. I should just shut up, after all, I'm only 23 thinking I have all the answers. Only 23. That's too young to be talking down to people.

Right?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #90
Miss Absynthe

Well.. that means that at my age I'm lucky if I can tie my own shoes.

Ok.. so that's true. But that's only because my walking frame gets in the way!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #91
CuckooTuli

There's no need for me to "transcend my own whiteness", given that I live in a little place where it's already celebrated, defended and systemically privileged... it's called The World.

This isn't about creating a little badge made of right-on through self-loathing white guilt, it's about acknowledging that some things just aren't under the kind of attack that requires defence.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #92
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckooTuli View Post
There's no need for me to "transcend my own whiteness", given that I live in a little place where it's already celebrated, defended and systemically privileged... it's called The World.
Not to mention if I wanted to pretend I was transcending my whiteness, I'd go back to being a "colourblind" racist who refuses to acknowledge that whiteness exists and we're all humans and why can't we just get along and ignore race? I'd go back to never even thinking of myself as white, just normal.

Of course Versus would quickly break up with me. I think he's okay with me laughing at my own ignorance when he explains things like white voice to me, but I doubt he'd like if I was like WHY DO YOU HAVE TO ACT DIFFERENT AROUND WHITE PEOPLE YOURE FAKE.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #93
JCC

Lol you all think I'm bashing your right-on anti-racist ideology, I'm not, I'm bashing the pitiful sucking up to make you feel like you're exempt from whatever Alan's attacking. I'm not talking about transcending whiteness on some we are all one race, racism doesn't exist flower power bullshit but on establishing WHITENESS as this homogeneous evil then distancing yourself from it by joining in with the whitey don't understand rhetoric like your module on race relations at college means you can piggyback the struggle and fight the good fight. You want to escape being white like it taints you, and you want to prove how not white you are to other people. Do you realise how embarrassing it is when middle class white people come out with the 'of course you don't understand, you're white' shit? You're white, you are not part of the solution in the same way Alan would be, deal with it rather than being some parody of a liberal. I guess in the UK it's different as the working class is more integrated but my idea of integration is having been the only white guy in a room full of people with police tags on their ankles, weapons in the room and prior sentences for some fake rap or drug charges they got caught on cause feds target dark skin with stop and searches, not reading blogs on postcolonialism and going up to black people like 'so, Malcolm X huh?'. You're white, deal with it, a minority boyfriend or a textbook on prison industrial complex or whatever does not mean you have the same understanding of the realities of racism so don't beg it, I guarantee I've been closer to the shit white people on here intellectualise and all it taught me is that I don't know shit no matter how much I see or know, or how many 'lol white people' jokes I make
Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #94
Saya

Out of curiousity, why do you keep saying "middle class white people"? A lot of us are working poor.

And why are you assuming we think we're exempt? I'm dealing with deconstructing my racism, and sometimes using humour helps. Versus worked really hard to learn feminist theory so he would understand what I'm talking about, he even sent me feminist jokes he came up with while deployed in Afghanistan, the least I could do is learn about racism. As an activist, I need to learn to be intersectional if I want anything done. As a queer, I can sympathize somewhat on being left out of movements while being blamed for my own exclusion, because I'm not willing to put up with queerphobia.

I don't think pointing out racism means I'm not racist. I don't think trying to collect an asshole who thinks racism doesn't exist means we don't struggle with our own blindness. I don't think chuckling at a joke means I'm better than other white people, and I'm really curious as to how you got that impression that by laughing at jokes, of which I'm aware don't hurt me because I benefit that much from white privilege, means I think I'm an honorary person of colour.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #95
Miss Absynthe

JCC, could you please use paragraphs?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #96
Saya

Did you want the cliff notes? Basically, white British teenager who has been in school most of his life and had his parents provide for him is singling out the other white people in this thread, like Kontan, who was collecting Jonathan for the most part and was working and in the Navy before he took advantage of tuition benefits the military offers, MoC, who is trans and also in the Navy (still?), Ape Descendant, who I don't think has any post-secondary and is a queer woman married to a trans woman, you, who he'll probably ignore because that's what we do to sex workers, especially the queer and womanly ones, and I do believe you are twice his age, and I, who was out of school for years before I decided to go back on a loan and still must work because my parents can't provide for me. We all don't really understand oppression like this young cisgender middle class white male does, despite never having to look out for himself, and must be schooled by him, because he has far more street cred than us who decided to go to school because we've been out in the world for most of our adult lives and need career uptraining or desire the knowledge we need to continue our activism and survive in a society that would rather us dead.

He knows far more than us that we can't understand racism as PoC do, despite the fact no one here has ever said that in this thread or elsewhere on the forum, he knows we're actually thinking of how we know exactly how PoC have it because its not like we the oppressed seek allies in others who are also oppressed, perhaps the more oppressed, and we want to get our act together so we can be better allies to them. Wise beyond his years and experience, he knows white people can't recognize racism ever, or laugh at their own ignorance because that means they truly think they know just as much as PoC about racism.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #97
Miss Absynthe

@JCC - would you mind being a dear, and just copy/paste Saya's post for me?

You know.. so that it becomes an actual valid opinion - having been posted by a young, ecucated, cis-gendered, straight white man.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #98
JCC

Yeah, you really don't get it. As for what my life is like, you have no idea
Old 10-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #99
Saya

You said right there that you presume that we're only learning about racial oppression from blogs and school, as if we're not adults who haven't been out in the real world and have way more experience than you do. You presume to think that you live closer to racial oppression and understand it more than us (weird) and just assume we assume we understand racism just as much as PoC do, while we never claimed so. We make fun of ourselves, and apparently we think we're above racism. More than that, you use your own privilege as a white boy still in school to school queer and trans* women as if we were born yesterday and don't know what its like to have assholes assume they know you and your oppression.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #100
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Yeah, you really don't get it. As for what my life is like, you have no idea
How fucking arrogant are you to come to a thread like this and claim to be a victim?

Seriously. Privilege - check it.