Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #3226
Stormbringer

Ok, I understand. What you describe I suffer from too, but to a far lesser extent. Please feel free to talk to me at any time about anything. I promise you I'll listen and try to help if I can.

With regard to posting on the internet, I've had many of my stories pirated. It is just like being robbed or, as you said, throwing your work away. I used to get quite annoyed by this but now I haven't done a seach for pirate copies for ages. Posting your work here will at least give it a sympathetic and appreciative audience. I'll look forward to it.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #3227
Ellethwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Ice149 View Post

I know that London has pretty much everything a person might want from a city, but I'm so nervous and socially on-edge, that I can barely enjoy anything that has to do with other people. Even from an early age I haven't been able to make casual conversation without getting stressed, and at this point I'm completely closed-off from other people, due to it. Everything I do feels so intensely important, because it's really the only thing that keeps my psyche from breaking down. So I end up spending way too much time just thinking and worrying over anything I write or say, to the point where I often just delete everything, due to it not sounding right enough. And then, after I've pressed "send" or "post", I immediately hate it and regret it. The same goes for talking to people in real life, except worse. If they talk to me first, I can be fine with it, but if I have to reach out, I often feel like I'd rather just die instead.
I am the same way! I think it's anxiety. It's extreme and quite awful. I feel it has really held me back.
Ellethwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:34 AM   #3228
Sinjob

What is the What - Dave Eggers

Fucking incredible. Recently realized how much time I wasted trying to understand and mimic worthless Gothic literature. Good writing goes beyond spooky dogma.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #3229
Acharis

"The Replacement", Brenna Yovannoff. I think it may be YA - but gore, changelings and revenants. Nice.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #3230
Stormbringer

The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie (1936).

Blood, gore, strangulation, serial murder, beautiful femme-fatales, lies, deception and the irreststilbly charming Monsieur Hercule Poirot. All of Christie's novels are beautifully written and contain quite a bit of humour and irony as well as her cleverly crafted plots. This one is a little unusual and feels very modern as the case involves a serial killer. Just the thing to read whilst sipping a glass of dry sherry on a rainy afternoon before the butler calls you down for tea.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #3231
DarkestBirds

I'm currently reading Gothic Charm School by Jillian Venters.
DarkestBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #3232
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkestBirds View Post
I'm currently reading Gothic Charm School by Jillian Venters.
Excellent book. Without a doubt a 'must have' for all goths. I have read it several times. Jillian if you read this - WRITE MORE BOOKS - we'll buy them I swear !
Old 02-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #3233
Saya

Reading Eisenhorn by Dan Abnett. It's Versus's favourite book so I feel just a *little* pressured to love it XD but it's actually pretty good so far. Such grimdark, much gothic horror. Wow.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:23 AM   #3234
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Reading Eisenhorn by Dan Abnett. It's Versus's favourite book so I feel just a *little* pressured to love it XD but it's actually pretty good so far. Such grimdark, much gothic horror. Wow.
I quite liked that series. Too bad the last trilogy of it staring Bequin seems to be have had some very long delays.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #3235
Saya

Oh, I didn't now that! Bummer, so far Bequin hasn't had much to do but I'm pleased to hear she gets her own series. When she first showed up I turned to Versus and said "the sex worker lives, right? RIGHT?!"
Old 02-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #3236
Amaris

Night and Day by Virginia Woolf.
Amaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:40 AM   #3237
Geoluhread

The Girl Who Lept Through Time - TsuTsui
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:22 AM   #3238
Acharis

Just finished the last of the Dark Tower series.

I need something else to read. Hopefully adult books. Even if they're decent subject matter I'm old and cranky, therefore getting sick of the YA tropes.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:46 AM   #3239
Saya

ANCILLARY JUSTICE ANCILLARY JUSTICE ANCILLARY JUSTICE.

Ahem. You should read Ancillary Justice.

Just finished Anno Dracula and it was...eeeeeh.

If my reader charges I'll be reading Northanger Abbey next.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:13 AM   #3240
Acharis

My friend likes that book I think. Looking into it.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:44 PM   #3241
Saya

Your friend has excellent taste.

It's about a space empire in which people have no gender, and the narrator uses female pronouns as a neutral default. The narrator is also an AI who inhabits thousands of bodies used as soldiers, until something happens and she's down to one. Then, then she is on a quest for revenge.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:12 AM   #3242
Acharis

Yes! That's the one they've been talking about! I might chew through the cheap paperbacks I have to make space and then borrow/order it.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #3243
Saya

It's definitely one of those series where I start to become envious of those reading it for the first time.

Finished Northanger Abbey, and I'm mad that I didn't read it in high school. Why didn't anyone tell me Jane Austen is hilarious? Catherine is such a goth chick and a bit of a dunce, I would have identified with her like crazy eleven years ago. As is, I'll have to make do with the witty satire.

Reading Carmilla next, then maybe I might read some of the gothic novels Jane Austen mentioned.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:21 AM   #3244
Acharis

I just finished the first book of Lucifer (going back to get favoured gn's in order) and am about to start reading Daniel Way's Deadpool. Regretting that I don't have much comic money.

Then I'm going to quickly read up Tithe (which had/has promise but has already started veering annoyingly young adulty - same way as the Replacement. Don't you hate that? Something's good and then a wild Mary Sue/brooding love interest appears. There need to be more adult supernatural books that aren't crap romance!)

The I'll see if I can borrow Ancillary Justice.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #3245
Diessa

I reading book on programming
Diessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #3246
satanicangel66689

Well, I'm currently reading two things. A story Fanfiction.net, called The Way. The other is an actual book, Lords of Chaos.
satanicangel66689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:19 AM   #3247
TrivialMorose

No one has read a book in four years...

I'm always reading too many books at once, but I'm only gonna mention one, which I've only started recently.

Ash by James Herbert.

It's the final book in the David Ash trilogy, and I've read the previous parts as well. The plots in all of these are pretty ridiculous (Well, actually in the first two they they were sorta fine until they weren't anymore, this third one dove straight into it.) but David Ash is just an excellent character and I can't get enough of him regardless. Too bad he is coming to his end.
TrivialMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #3248
shadowynne

I'm reading "other minds" yet another book on cephlapod intelligence. And a warhammer 40k novel... Because I am a literary slut.
shadowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #3249
UnderwaterOphelia

I'm reading Ten Little Indians by Sherman Alexie. It's a collection of short stories, and it's pretty great.
UnderwaterOphelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:58 PM   #3250
shadowynne

I'm reading several books for review,(the backlog is getting serious now)... including a rather interesting book on mycelium, and the overall interconnected nature of plants. And yet another "space bullet drama" as my partner calls them, because I apparently don't have self control.
shadowynne is offline   Reply With Quote