Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
Empty_Purple_Stars

Anne Rice criticizes response to New Orleans' devastation

Anne Rice criticizes response to New Orleans' devastation

September 4, 2005, 7:37 PM EDT

NEW YORK -- Novelist Anne Rice harshly criticized the response to Hurricane Katrina's aftermath in her old hometown of New Orleans.

"Why did America ask a city cherished by millions and excoriated by some, but ignored by no one, to fight for its own life for so long?" Rice wrote in a New York Times op-ed piece published Sunday.

Rice, author of the "Vampire Chronicles" books, including "Interview with the Vampire," said people have asked her in recent days why so many people stayed behind when they knew the hurricane was coming.

"They didn't have any place to go," she wrote. "They are the poor, black and white, who dwell in any city in great numbers; and they did what they felt they could do _ they huddled together in the strongest houses they could find. There was no way to up and leave and check into the nearest Ramada Inn."

Thousands more stayed in the city to help their fellow residents, she wrote, and struggled to save lives as the nation watched.

Rice, who now lives in the San Diego area, said she believes New Orleans will be rebuilt and people will still live there because it is where their families have lived for generations.

"But to my country I want to say this: During this crisis you failed us. You looked down on us; you dismissed our victims; you dismissed us," Rice wrote.

"You want our Jazz Fest, you want our Mardi Gras, you want our cooking and our music," she continued. "Then when you saw us in real trouble, when you saw a tiny minority preying on the weak among us, you called us `Sin City,' and turned your backs."

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...gion-apnewyork
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
Nardol

How off track she is. It was the state and local governments that were responsible for not completely evacuating the city. It was the mayor who claimed they didn't need help for days after the federal government offered. Those are the people responsible.
Nardol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
readmycomics

Anne Rice is a bitch.
readmycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:22 PM   #4
ThwanCondu

She may be pinpointing more people than she needs to, but she is kind of right. Especially about people calling New Orleans 'Sin City' and turning their backs. People actually believe that God sent the fucking hurricane. Ironically it's supposed to have fucked the hell out of the good part of town and left the sinful places. But I can't back that up.
ThwanCondu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
readmycomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Ooh, you've met her?
No, but I saw her shitty movies.
readmycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
MrMaelstrom

Authors write books.

Directors and producers make films.

It's really that simple. I'm not gonna blame Frank Miller for the shitty Daredevil Film that came out or that Wolverine's portrayal in the X-men flicks (which sucked major arse, despite every teens idea of a good film), just because he drew them at their best.

It's kind of like complaining about God when it's people who fuck up. He came up with the idea, but we write our own script.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:39 PM   #7
Scythan

Wow, Xnguela, you can type replies faster than I can read them!
Scythan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:08 PM   #8
cannibalnuns

Personally she writes good books. I still like the books, I never give a shit about her just what she wrote. Who cares what she says, she have crazy anyway. From drinking blood to walking in the shoes of Jesus.. Hmmm I wonder.
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:21 AM   #9
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannibalnuns
Personally she writes good books. I still like the books, I never give a shit about her just what she wrote. Who cares what she says, she have crazy anyway. From drinking blood to walking in the shoes of Jesus.. Hmmm I wonder.
Through the process of transubstantiation, if you're a Catholic, you ought to believe that you too are drinking the blood of Christ. In light of that, not much of a jump at all.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:35 AM   #10
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Ooh, touche!

Here comes Dis with the LOGIC!
That's probably one of the few things I took away from 10th grade religion class. Everyone kind of looked at me like I was crazy when I didn't know what Cavalry was.
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:45 AM   #11
MrMaelstrom

All that logic reminds me of a 80's song by Thomas Dolby called "She Blinded Me With Science".... dunno why....