Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:17 PM   #801
Binkie

I went out and rented that yesterday (Spanglish).

Sandler really didn't do too bad of a job at all in a drama. I only had a problem with two parts of this movie:

1.) The daughter in Sandler's family felt entirely too phoney for me to really like. But that's not bad acting cause overtly extroverted people in real life (i.e. sales people) all come off the same way.

2.) The revelation between Flor and Sandler towards the end was just... I don't know. I remember seeing the scene end and thinking, "Ehh... what?" Kind of an awkward moment which ultimately set up the end.

But other than that, it was a good drama by all other aspects, like the almighty T said. Especially the conclusion for me.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:57 PM   #802
gingerbreadwench

Shark Tale.

I was expecting another Finding Nemo. Not so much.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:21 PM   #803
Binkie

Oh yeah... argh. The son. He had so little to do with anything. Everytime he came on, I kept asking myself, "Who the hell is this kid again?" The film spent on reminding me was an incredible waste of 15 seconds. You're introduced to him rather informally. Then you're just reminded that he's alive every once in a while. So exactly. What's the point of his existance in the script? Would have been as equally present as just a picture on the mantle and a line of dialogue suggesting he was at summer camp or something.

And yeah, I agree that it's very much real to life. That's probably why it felt like such an awkward scene towards the end.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Old 04-19-2005, 12:00 AM   #804
edible_eye

all right, mother fuckers - i rented 'american history x' for the thrid time this week-end and i STILL haven't seen it.

arrgh!
Old 04-19-2005, 01:27 PM   #805
Binkie

What the hell are you doing with these tapes then?
Old 04-19-2005, 03:19 PM   #806
edible_eye

nothing. that's the worst part. i bring 'em home, get busy with other things and then forget to bring them back. so, basically, i've rented it 3 times, paid late fees 3 times and still haven't seen it.

that's some sort of sickness, isn't it?
Old 04-19-2005, 04:51 PM   #807
HerGhostInTheFog

i watched "life is beautiful" again
HerGhostInTheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:24 AM   #808
WolfMoon

Ah Mark, I liked that movie so much.

As the eldest, it really reminded me how much my likes/dislikes had an effect on my younger siblings.And how little we sometimes realize how we impact the lives around us.There's still a part of me trying to set an example for my siblings.

Eh.......*stupid emotional crap*

Edit:I watched both House of Flying Daggers and Sin City recently and enjoyed them imensely!I actually cried a couple of times during House of Flying Daggers but that could've been hormones cuz I'd given birth a few days before.Yeah, hormones.................

:roll:
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:33 PM   #809
AlKilyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by edible_eye
all right, mother fuckers - i rented 'american history x' for the thrid time this week-end and i STILL haven't seen it.

arrgh!

There. You're welcome. ^_^
AlKilyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #810
edible_eye

that's the scene i keep hearing about. thanx for desensitizing me before i see it in context. now i'll be able to eat my cheeseburgers all the way through without fear.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:33 AM   #811
Ruthless

The movie i watched was The Crow!
Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:05 AM   #812
pitseleh

Whoa, R1LLY?! I nevar saw tHAT! (STO0pid PARNTS!!)) HEar it*S real GOoD!!
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 02:12 AM   #813
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh
Whoa, R1LLY?! I nevar saw tHAT! (STO0pid PARNTS!!)) HEar it*S real GOoD!!
D00d, Da Cro is da mos AWESUM moovie EVER!1!1!1

I lurned evrythang i noe abowt Goths frum it!!

PARNTS are teh SUK!!!

:shock:
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 03:38 AM   #814
Ruthless

The crow is great and Brandon Lee is the best! RIP Brandon Lee
Ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:40 PM   #815
edible_eye

tstone - you're getting to see all the good stuff. i need to sit and watch something tomorrow night.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:16 AM   #816
WolfMoon

You should watch Sin City!

MMmmmmmm, booooooooobiiieeeeeeeesssss!
Old 04-27-2005, 08:32 PM   #817
Loy

Just a few quick snippets (on works 'puter)

"Shutter"-If this ever gets released here in America (apparently the remake rights have been bought up, and there's talk of withholding the original version from American screens), you should all run to the theatre as quickly as possible. Why? Because this is one of the creepiest films I've seen in a long time. Almost as creepy as "Ju-On" (for Alkilya), but with a more coherent (and, by the end, provocative) storyline (for TStone), this has just shot up to my top film of the year so far. I won't tell you much about it (discovering how this film moves is something I don't wanna spoil for you all) except the basic-a photographer discovers ghosts ending up in pictures he takes. Aside from that, get this film any way you can!

"L'Eclisse"-the final film in Antonioni's informal trilogy (the first two being "L'Avventura" and "Le Amiche"), this is the film that helped push Antonioni to not only being the most modern director of his time, but to being the most disquietly passionate. The story of an affair could have easilly been turned to a melodrama, but Antonioni uses the story to explore the ennui of modern living....and the ending remains one of the most haunting ever.

"Ashes And Diamonds"-Andrej Wajda's final film in his war trilogy (which has just been released by Criterion....of course there's no need for me to even point that out since I'm sure ALL of you have already gotten it). Like "Battle Of Algiers" and "La Dolce Vita", "AAD" is a film that changes every time I watch it. when I first saw it, I saw an attack on war. I saw it again and saw a pro-communist film. After that, I saw an anti-communist film. Nowadays, I see a heart-breaking story about the price of honor.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:01 PM   #818
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone

I heart Stan Lee for the wood in my shorts.
See now, THAT deserves to be on a friggin t-shirt, or a bumper sticker or some shit.

Pearls of motherfucking wisdom right there..

But you would have to donate half of the proceeds from sales to Gra-Knee..

Think of the possibilities...

Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:57 AM   #819
pitseleh

Yesterday me and a friend rented Anchorman with Will Ferrel, among others. Funniest shit I've seen in a long time, aside from Arrested Development. Actually, I want to see it again right now, it's just so brilliant. I don't think the dumb genius of it has sunk in completely. Fabulous 70's male chauvinist characters, the great emoting and boundless ego of Ron Burgundy, and quote-worthy as hell.

Ron Burgundy (hitting on Veronica Corningstone): I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany [...] I wanna be on you.

Many of you in the US has probably seen it a while ago, but it just got released on DVD here, so it's news to me. If you haven't seen it yet, my suggestion is you do it.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:26 PM   #820
Granny-like_the_apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
Pearls of motherfucking wisdom right there..

But you would have to donate half of the proceeds from sales to Gra-Knee..

Think of the possibilities...

Are you suggesting...I become a manwhore :shock:

Schweet! Line me up some tricks, I'll turn 'em, and donate half the proceeds (no pun! OK, just a little) to Gra-Knee :}
Did I miss something here? Am I pimp now? Because if so, I prefer to be a crack-pimp.

Oh and pitseleh, you should watch the deleted scenes if you have the DVD. They're pretty fucking funny.

Don't let mobile phone conversations lead to premature sex and pregnancy.
Granny-like_the_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:25 AM   #821
pitseleh

Yeah, I watched the deleted scenes, and they were fucking hilarious too. I get a warm fuzzy feeling just thinking about it.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:26 AM   #822
Binkie

For A Few More Dollars

No Western kicks more ass than a Sergio Leone Western. This film was on Encore last night.. or rather, way early this morning, and as tired as I was, I couldn't tear myself away from it to fall asleep as I never could with any of Leone's films. Lee Van Cleef stole the show from Eastwood in this one, as he had so much more of a dynamic and interesting character as compared with Eastwood's (then again, all of his "sidekicks" do).

Scenery was beautiful, story was envoking, and the score by Ennio Morricone was epic. As with the entire "Man With No Name" trilogy, the final scene is the most powerful, and unlike the others, this one seemingly left the biggest impression because it was so emotionally charged in how it all came together. Of course, this film would have been even better if the quick draw aiming tricks hadn't been overdone. Pulling a revolver and shooting it from the waist, without actually aiming it, and expecting the audience to believe the guy can shoot the end off a cigar 30 feet away by doing this in like .8 seconds is a wee bit hard to believe. But since the rest of the story does come off as a bit of a folktale at times, it works to a certain degree,

That, and the bizarro edit points where you just hear a "boing" and the camera zooms in on Cleef's face for no apparent reason. Course, it wouldn't be a Leone Western if it weren't overedited like that at times.

Definitely an all-time classic.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:04 PM   #823
WolfMoon

I never cfould get into westerns.Although those are the only movies you'll ever glimpse a young Eastwood in.

:P

Just watched Kung Fu Hustle today, in between changing/feeding kids.I laughed my ass off!There's not a shred of seriousness in this one folks, and don't expect a great storyline.More like Three Stooges do Kung Fu.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:21 PM   #824
ice

Hah, Wolf, I just saw Kung Fu Hustle today, too.

Oh, man. That was hilarious... there were only like six people in the theater (including me) and at some points we were laughing so loud that you couldn't hear them talk (although, it's in subtitles). I also choked on some popcorn.

I love these weird Chinese movies though, 'cause there's so much symbolism, and as crazy and plot-lacking as they can be, there are all sorts of connections between symbols and what's going on in the film that it just about makes up for the lack of plot (for me at least).

Also, the soundtrack was a plus. I was diggin' it. :P

(8 of 10)

"No - it's more like - wow, isn't enlightenment great?" - Doug Henning
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:57 AM   #825
pitseleh

Watched Troy the other day. It sucked. It's the same with all those fucking Hollywood "epics": The combat scenes are maybe cool, but as soon as someone opens their mouth, the whole thing just degenerates into an embarrassing schmalz-fest.

Day before that I saw 13 Moons, which I liked a whole lot better. Of course, it couldn't be a more different movie. An indie film shot in the seedier parts of LA, with Steve Buscemi as a washed-up, pathetic clown and an assortment of other more-or-less afflicted people whose paths get tangled with one another, all in one bizarre night. Not a perfect film, but human, authentic, funny and tragic. IE everything that Troy was not.