Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
JCC

Worst movie endings ever.

- The Breakfast Club: I thought the film was pretty good overall, a bit stereotypical and meandering maybe, but it was good nonetheless. The ending however sucked. The film should have ended with the geeky kid going up to John Bender and Bender just insults him, pushes him into a locker, tracking shot from geeky kid to Molly staring at Bender and then just walking away, ignoring him. Happy endings are for fucking losers.

- Dead Poets Society: Same deal. The soppy bullshit almost made me puke. The kid at the end should've gotten up on to his chair, and then nobody should have followed. Awkward silence, kid sits back on his chair, and Robin Williams leaves. However, this film is shitty anyway.

- Judge Dredd: Yes. This movie is fucking awful. However, if Judge Dredd just tackled the fucking Dystopian oppression in Mega City why would he drive off claiming to uphold it? The last nail in the coffin of this cinematic disaster.

Share some of your own. I want to be repulsed.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
Tristanna

The mist by stephen king - sooo sad!
Tristanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
JCC

Sad because it's pathetic or because it's wilfully depressing? If it's a good ending that does its job it doesn't belong here. I'm looking for the awful movie endings that make you cringe.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
ForgetThisLostLenore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Sad because it's pathetic or because it's wilfully depressing? If it's a good ending that does its job it doesn't belong here. I'm looking for the awful movie endings that make you cringe.
Well, you've listed movies with good endings that do their jobs quite well but you just put them here because you have some grudge against happy endings. Now, The Mist followed the story almost to the very dialogue in places, but they changed the ending. I thought that that was a bad ending.

Don't knock endings just because they're happy and then knock someone else for picking an ending because it's sad.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
JCC

I didn't knock them for picking an ending because it's sad. I like sad endings.

I don't mind a happy ending as long as it can still make you think. The Breakfast Club and Dead Poets Society just have endings that serve a generic purpose of tying up loose ends while not addressing something contemplative. The Breakfast Club was about how people act differently with friends, how people project themselves. While the ending serves that well, it doesn't make any sort of statement about the nature of their actions after their epiphany. I mean, maybe they do function together in school, but that's boring. Dead Poets Society was awful anyway, but the non-conformist angle is ruined when everyone conforms to the idea that they should start quoting Walt Whitman poetry at Robin Williams.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
ForgetThisLostLenore

So you decide that an ending is the worst ever because it doesn't fit to your standard of riveting drama and non-conformity? They decide to move outside the cliques in The Breakfast Club, move outside the standard because of the huge epiphany at the end and you decide that it's a boring way to end it, so it is a bad ending.

I'm sorry, but your description of the perfect ending for that movie would've been awful and would've had no purpose after the rest of the movie.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
JCC

It would have made perfect sense. The other three were part of cliques that weren't particularly unpopular, they prospered in their school environment. In their discussion about what happens the next time they go to school, geeky kid is the only one that accepts them as friends. They all say that they will, but the film points out the whimsical nature of groups within high school, and for them to eschew the promises they made for the sake of social standing would've been a far better message than happy Breakfast Club land. Obviously considering that my suggestion was a ten second alternative that actually made a point beyond coming-of-age film normalities, it wasn't particularly fabulous, but I would've preferred it to the boring ending of The Breakfast Club.

Obviously these endings are completely subjective. Some people would have loved the endings, but then some people would have loved the film Gay******s From Outer Space, or would've been cheering like crazy when Judge Dredd rode off on his motorcycle.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
Corpsey

The New Indiana Jones movie.

Action movie-wise though, I'd say the ending to The Sentinel was just appalling. It really killed the movie that started off quite well.

I can't think of any others at the moment, but if you want to cringe, see The Sentinal.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #9
JCC

Yeah, the new Indiana Jones movie made me want to decapitate myself slowly with a particularly jagged piece of popcorn.

Cruel Intentions. Because the last shot was of Reese Witherspoon and she was the talentless bimbo that ruined the fucking movie.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
dabbadmc

I didn't like the ending of Cloverfield. It was a bit of a cop-out.
dabbadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #11
Crying_Crimson_Tears

The ending of Atonement. It led me on to think that the couple was going to get their justice and then it went off track and killed them both.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

All 'horror' movies since....
before I was born.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:54 PM   #13
MollyMac

Hands down---"Boxing Helena"
Old 06-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #14
AngelikDemonik

The ending of "High Tension". It was a brilliant movie until the "twist" ending. It could have been a great ending, had the pieces fit together for the aforementioned "twist" ending.

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #15
Tea and Cake or Death

I remember being small, and my mother dragging me to see Bed of Roses. I remember the whole movie sucked, but he ending sucked the most of all. It was like they ran out of ideas on what to write, so they just decided to stop shooting and throw some credits on there.
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #16
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying_Crimson_Tears
The ending of Atonement. It led me on to think that the couple was going to get their justice and then it went off track and killed them both.
I loved that ending.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #17
Toy Killer

I didn't like the ending to I Am Leagend once I saw the alternative ending...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikDemonik
The ending of "High Tension". It was a brilliant movie until the "twist" ending. It could have been a great ending, had the pieces fit together for the aforementioned "twist" ending.
Totally agree, from begining to the near ending, that was a horror movie... but the ending sqrewed with it too much, now most of it was impossible.
Toy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #18
Underwater Ophelia

The ending to Heathers is pretty weak.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #19
I Am Great.

Big Black Bitches Got Booty 4. I was totally hoping that one ho would get it on the face.
I Am Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #20
Paigeybobert

The Mist's ending was pretty bad, but it was kind of cool.
Paigeybobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #21
gothicusmaximus

Wait a minute, I haven't seen The Breakfast Club in a while, but I don't recall any suggestion that the kids were going to try to be friends after detention. In fact, I'm pretty certain the opposite was implied.
You may disagree, but I maintain that the culmination of that movie is great, I love that fist pump. Don't, don't, don't, don't, don't youuuu... foggedaboutme.

In contemplating movies whose endings are particularly weak in comparison to the remainder of the narrative, I immediately recollect Pirates of the Caribbean II, which my friend forced me to watch two summers ago despite my protestations. The film as a whole was horrendous and a grievous insult to its audience, but its conclusion was utterly bamboozling.
The movie can be summarized thusly: Johnny Depp plays an asshole pirate who essentially runs around causing people grief and endangering their lives. Of the dramatis personae, only Keira Knightley seems to feel anything but abject loathing for him, and she doesn't even actually like him so much as she thinks he's sexy. At the odious tale's end, Keira Knightley decides that enough is enough and tricks Captain Depp into getting eaten by a Sea Monster. Great- colossal problem solved, right? However, before the credits roll, some voodoo priestess asks "WOULD YOU RISK YOUR LIVES TO SAVE JOHNNY DEPP? WOULD YOU DO ANYTHING? WOULD YOU GO TO THE VERY ENDS OF THE EARTH WHERE MANY MORE CGI SEA MONSTERS AWAIT?" and everyone replies "yes."
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:31 PM   #22
Toy Killer

I completely agree, I don't get what the stupid appeal is to Cap'n Jack Sparrow, when he's a drunken douche bag...
Toy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #23
Zerachiel

The Strangers: Lol...It really seemed like the last 20 minutes they didn't know what to do so someone threw in a random idea.
Zerachiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #24
Catch

The Matrix and Pirates of the Carribean have that "to be continued" thing. It is a movie not a television series. They could have had something exciting happen to make it feel like they did something. I guess LOTR did something similiar but each show ended with a sense of closure though the series wasn't over.

That is some plain lazy writing.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:34 AM   #25
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
*****SPOILER WARNING*****
The ending of Hamlet. Specifically the 1948 version directed by Sir Lawrence Olivier. Your heartstrings are tugged, thinking he will be murdered in deceit, then are tugged again when you think he has revenge without intending it, then you are floored when his brief reign as king is lost when he dies.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote