Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 08-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #651
Duane

Of course! Well, either way, a discussion is always improved when you join in.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:59 AM   #652
Onyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
If people believe government is necessary, then apparently it is. Honestly, systems really only give what the people ask for and what the people will allow to happen.

For example, the 911 plane crashes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was it only a very small handful of people willing to fight on the planes? Why only a small minority? Technically, and I know this is a bit of a slippery slope, but the collective majority chose to be overtaken with nothing more than box cutters.

Sure. They didn't want to die. But they also didn't do much to stop it.

So in short, the people abuse themselves and they must obviously be totally comfortable with that.
People who talk about the 9/11 passengers like that are ignorant of historical context. There's a reason why the passengers on the first two planes didn't fight back and the third plane did. All through the history of aircraft and terrorism the plane was either bombed or, if hijacked, the terrorists would land the plane and make a bunch of demands. In the end the hostages were usually released to go about their lives. For the people on the first two planes the rational action was to cooperate until things came to their usual conclusion and they were released. Thus, they did the rational thing not knowing that these hijackers planned on crashing the planes into buildings and killing everyone anyway.

A passenger on the third plane was in contact with a family member who told them that another plane had also been hijacked and the terrorists had crashed the plane into the WTC. At this point the passengers became aware that there was going to be no negotiations and they were going to die anyway. This knowledge led them to overpower the hijackers and down the plane in order to save other innocent people.

I'm sure, had the passengers of the first two planes known this wasn't going to be your run of the mill hijacking, the outcomes would have been very different.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:38 PM   #653
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
People who talk about the 9/11 passengers like that are ignorant of historical context. There's a reason why the passengers on the first two planes didn't fight back and the third plane did. All through the history of aircraft and terrorism the plane was either bombed or, if hijacked, the terrorists would land the plane and make a bunch of demands. In the end the hostages were usually released to go about their lives. For the people on the first two planes the rational action was to cooperate until things came to their usual conclusion and they were released. Thus, they did the rational thing not knowing that these hijackers planned on crashing the planes into buildings and killing everyone anyway.

A passenger on the third plane was in contact with a family member who told them that another plane had also been hijacked and the terrorists had crashed the plane into the WTC. At this point the passengers became aware that there was going to be no negotiations and they were going to die anyway. This knowledge led them to overpower the hijackers and down the plane in order to save other innocent people.

I'm sure, had the passengers of the first two planes known this wasn't going to be your run of the mill hijacking, the outcomes would have been very different.
I agree that the folks on plane 3 only fought because they found out what happened to planes 1 and 2,and if the folks on planes 1 or 2 would have known that they were on a one way ride they would've fought just like those on plane 3 .

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:29 AM   #654
Deadmanwalking_05

Back on topic.

Pro-gun/Anti-gun.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #655
Duane

What's the point, really. Take away guns, and these paranoid people will move to using knives, take those away, they'll just start using Judo or whatever style of martial arts they've learned to protect themselves from the boogie man. You know, with the amount of weapons DMW has, you'd think he pissed off some Bloods or something.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #656
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane View Post
What's the point, really. Take away guns, and these paranoid people will move to using knives, take those away, they'll just start using Judo or whatever style of martial arts they've learned to protect themselves from the boogie man. You know, with the amount of weapons DMW has, you'd think he pissed off some Bloods or something.
Nope I just like owning firearms.

And each firearm has a different purpose.

I only own 8 firearms in total I fail to see that as an excessive number.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #657
Terminus

I believe that people can reasonably handle firearm ownership, and since I do not believe that governments should not interfere in areas where people can reasonably handle themselves, I do not think that governments should regulate firearm ownership.

However, that is the sole reason why I believe government should not regulate firearm ownership. I don't buy arguments like, "We need firearms to defend against tyranny/fascism/communism".
Terminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #658
Deadmanwalking_05

That is the best reason to own them though,and that is the main reason the Second Amendment was put into the Bill Of Rights.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #659
vindicatedxjin

Gotta kill them rapists***edit***

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #660
Deadmanwalking_05

Post something useful for a change.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #661
Terminus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05 View Post
That is the best reason to own them though,and that is the main reason the Second Amendment was put into the Bill Of Rights.
I don't live in the United States, so the Bill of Rights is meaningless to me.

Also, I don't agree with the "recognizing pre-existing rights" argument, so arguing that the Bill of Rights should apply to everyone irregardless of where they live is also meaningless to me.

Finally, small arms may have been useful for staging a successful military coup in the 1700's, and would have been pretty useful up until World War I. However, the invention of the tank and the invention of the bomber have rendered the idea that a militia can do much against a fully armed force to be null.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #662
Deadmanwalking_05

They can't be in tanks and planes all the time,besides the best way to combat a tank is to attack it's fuel supply,it runs out of gas,turns into a big (although extremely hardened) target,the crew has to get out eventually.

Attacking fuel depots will also prevent the bombers from being able to take off.

It comes down to supply lines and how well they are defended.

I still don't want to face any of it down if it can be avoided.

All I'm saying is that there are ways around modern battle tech.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #663
Terminus

None of the ways around modern battle tech are pheasable. The United States military (and most modern militaries, for that matter) have spent the last 90 years investigating how to protect their supply lines, cover their fuel depots, and keep their tanks running. Trust me when I say that the supply lines are well defended, and very likely have a lot of redundancy.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #664
Deadmanwalking_05

It is possible to do,not saying it would be a cake walk,but it could be pulled off with the right planning.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #665
Godslayer Jillian

No, I agree with Terminus. As a heathen commie I still believe it's fucking stupid to base the right on owning guns in the possibility of going Rambo and shooting a fucking tank for freedom.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #666
Duane

DMW, you're starting to sound a bit like Sarah Conner.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #667
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
No, I agree with Terminus. As a heathen commie I still believe it's fucking stupid to base the right on owning guns in the possibility of going Rambo and shooting a fucking tank for freedom.

You're calling a battle proven counter measure to a Superior Armored force stupid?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #668
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
DMW, you're starting to sound a bit like Sarah Conner.
What the fuck?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #669
Duane

Dude, against the govt, a town militia wouldn't be able to do much damage, a town militia is all you'll be able to get together... with a lot of luck.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #670
Deadmanwalking_05

Well who would've thought a bunch of farmers with flintlocks would defeat the strongest military force of their day?

Who would have thought the Low Tech V.C. would defeat the high tech, highly mobile United States Military?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #671
Duane

Why are you waiting for it to happen, then?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #672
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Why are you waiting for it to happen, then?
Because I don't start fights,I only finish them.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #673
Merry

I believe i have come into this thread late ...

As a Brit the one thing i admire greatly about the United States is the fact their citizens have the right to protect themselves
Inside my country criminals have gotten more confident slowly getting themselevs even more armed and as a result has led to the police gaining more power to try and prevent this. All this occuring whilst the law abiding citizens have been disarmed and left defenceless made to rely on the State.

My view on this debate is very simple, if guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have the weapons.
This is not a matter of 'Pro gun' but Pro Liberty.
Merry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #674
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05 View Post
You're calling a battle proven counter measure to a Superior Armored force stupid?
I'm calling the fact that you have to stretch out THAT far to rationalize your gun fetishization, stupid.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #675
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
I'm calling the fact that you have to stretch out THAT far to rationalize your gun fetishization, stupid.

Just keep throwing insults little man that's all you know how to do.