Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: Is black lipstick over the top
yes it is OTT 97 35.53%
No it looks fabulous 176 64.47%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2006, 08:16 AM   #201
Suicide_Phantasm

Black lipstick is a matter of taste.
I wear it, and I think it does push me closer to what I want from my looks and style, but it has its dos and donts:
First - it's impossible to put it on without lipliner. And believe me, I have tried, and nothing works out.
Second - if you put on black lipstick, you GOTTA make your eyes dark too. Otherwise, it really looks stupid.
Third - white foundation/compact is a must with black lipstick.

Okay, so black lipstick just reflects my artistic nature and inner world... I have lots of time and patience when it comes to makeup, and with lots and lots of practice and attention it became a huge part of what I am... I don't wear it to school or such places - it's really not the occasion. Black lipstick looks too much when worn by itself, that's for sure. Usually people that don't pay lots of attention to their look, wear it "as is". And that makes it look OTT.
It's a shocking color. But it's not over the top at all if you are a fan of lots of makeup and shocking looks... If people didn't like it and wear it, it wouldn't exist.
Suicide_Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #202
darkness-creepshow

hmm...yeah, i agree white foundation is really good with black lipstick and you might need some dark stuff near your eyes..like lines or vertical. And ive put on black lipstick without lip liner...and it doesnt look bad, but i think it would look better with lip liner although dont have it yet.
darkness-creepshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:43 PM   #203
kitten

I put on dark brown lip-gloss and mix it with differnt shades of eyeshadow. that way, I have unique colors. In fact, I do that with all of my lipgloss. I like black lipstock somtimes. I am very pale, so I can do it without looking totaly bad. I much prefer my dark, silvery purple I mix together.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:14 PM   #204
Born Again

Black lipstick is a bit Cliché in the goth scene, I don't know too many goths who actually wear it. As for me, I stick with deep reds, dark purples, and hot pinks.

When I first come upon someone, I want them to focus on my entire face , not just my lips. Black lipstick is a gaudy facial vocal point, in my opinion, its just not that attractive.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #205
Bubble Gum Goth

Love it. I'm very, very pale, so it works for me. I like it better than any other color I have.
Bubble Gum Goth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:42 PM   #206
Haunted House

I really like purple lipstick, but every now and again on certain occasions, I'll do black. I've noticed that black eyeliner works well as lipstick. It doesn't come off on cigarettes.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #207
insertwittyname

I'd say lipstick would be a reason not to smoke. Tis the devil! Asthma not so bad anymore, but damn the smell sticks to you when you walk around even when you threw away the cig. Ok, off the thing. What complexion do you think would work with a blue/black mixture with a bit of silver glitter added?
Old 11-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #208
Delkaetre

Pale. Pale works with dark or very pale colours, and dark/tanned works with strong or bright colours.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:43 PM   #209
kitten

I love purple lipstick!! I have yet to find a shade like my friend has though. soo pretty.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #210
insertwittyname

Gah. Damn my European/Asain heritage. -.- I am not pale, but I have some yellow to my skin, just enough so I'm not PURE PALE, and I have freckles. Why couldn't I be darker or lighter?!
Old 11-09-2006, 06:07 AM   #211
kitten

wittyname.....I can totaly understand. My friend is also Eurasian and she has a hard time finding colors that look right. She usualy wears dark purple lipstick with lighter, silvery colored eye shadow. Maybe that somthing to try. I might have to see a picture of you. Maybe Greens for the eyes.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:06 AM   #212
She_Is_My_Sin

Eh, see I don't suit lippie because of my teeth/shape of my mouth. Well perhaps darker shades of anything but red & black. I've learnt my lesson with lipstick...I'll stick to pale gloss....
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:23 AM   #213
xxkissxmexgoodbye

if you wear too much you look like a tard-cart
xxkissxmexgoodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:25 AM   #214
xxkissxmexgoodbye

i don't think i even own lipstick to think of it... i just use chapstick and eyeshadow to improvize... my eyeshadow is expensive so thats probalbly why i don't have lipstick because i spend all of my $$ on eyeshadow and eyeliner... lol i am so silly
xxkissxmexgoodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #215
Suicide_Phantasm

kissmegoodbye, you aren't silly at all. if you do your eyes, they look amazing without lipstick. now if you do your lips, it won't look pretty without beautiful eyes. so its better to spend everything on eyes than on lips, i think...
Suicide_Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #216
Draconysius

I apply black sometimes. It accentuates a mohawk/deathawk very well, I've found. My problem with it though, is my tiny lips.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #217
insertwittyname

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten
wittyname.....I can totaly understand. My friend is also Eurasian and she has a hard time finding colors that look right. She usualy wears dark purple lipstick with lighter, silvery colored eye shadow. Maybe that somthing to try. I might have to see a picture of you. Maybe Greens for the eyes.
I have nice brown eyes, not as dark as my dad's, but pretty dark. I find that greens are nice colors that go with brown, but silver makes them pop and sparkle while looking huge and soft. Dark purple, and a burnt mahogany lipstick from Lancome look very good on me becuase of dark lips.

As you can see, I'm white, but I have that maybe one drop of yellow tint to my skin's undertone. I have chapped lips in that picture and my lips are normally a shade or two darker naturally. Pic is a year old as I can never find the one digital camera that I know how to use in my house.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #218
badteccy

I love black lipstick, I use eyeliner to do it though, it stays on longer and looks nicer.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #219
Neurosis

I once used an herbal black eyeliner on the lips, and it lasted all day without me reapplying! And this was in summer camp. Remember, use herbal so you will not get that bitter taste that comes with regular eyeliner.

Never use liquid, it'll dry out way too quickly.

I occasionally, but rarely use black lipstick. It suits me fine, but I prefer purple, red, pink, and neutral brown (like Vincent Longo's Lip & Cheek Gel Stain in Neo Aura). I spend a lot of money on expensive brands.

--Neurosis
Neurosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:07 PM   #220
Blindness is Black

It looks pretty good on me...I wouldn't wear it every day, but every now and then, why not.
Blindness is Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:12 PM   #221
fboy

Black lipstick

If your looking for an awsome black lipstick use Ben Nye LC-1 lip color..
also check out mistress puttytat on the msn groups great pics
fboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:27 PM   #222
fairiez_wear_boots

Black lipstick looks very funny on me.......lol....in other people it looks good......but I think it is overrated in terms of someone "having" to wear black lipstick so as to "prove" something......
fairiez_wear_boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #223
Vyvian Blackthorne

I actually like black lipstick, I wear it yet I also like blood red and occasionally blue or green. In my opinion I think it matters on, like fairiez mentioned, the person, or to be precise-the perferred style. To trace back, I recall (correct if I'm wrong) that the earliest applys of black lipstick was for deathrockers like Alien Sex Fiend and Christian Death (Rozz?). Like mentioned, it gives a ghoulish look but needs other accesories such as eye shadow and ghost pale face. Otherwise it would look bad. On the romatics, it occasionally looks good depending on the style of dress you wear. If entirely Victorian style (romantics don't ALWAYS wear Vic., though) blood red lipstick looks much better. With the deathrockers black lipstick looks good; espically if you have a deathhawk . Black Lipstick is debatable as a whole in the goth community, but I think it should stay.
Vyvian Blackthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:52 PM   #224
Heatherzilla

I don't even own lipstick. Except for a tube of hooker red which was for costume/stage make-up. Basically all lipstick looks bad on me.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:26 AM   #225
Lucretia_my_Reflection

depending on the person really some people looks dumb with it on. other look hot with it on.
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote