Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-21-2005, 06:48 AM   #1
Nemesis

GreenDay!!!

Ive just had an argument with someone, who thinks that greenday are punk! For chuffs sake they are not punk they're pop-punk if that!!!
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:56 AM   #2
Nemesis

yeah i know sorry...but it really grates on me because all the poseurs think that they're really punk and goth because they listen to greenday
Old 12-21-2005, 08:42 AM   #3
katsumy

In my opinion every song is diferent from rock to punk so... well again that's my opinion.
could come true some day soon...

* Katsumy *
katsumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:33 AM   #4
horrorgirl

They are nothing but a generic punk pop band.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:05 AM   #5
angel_dark_demon_bright

Im sorry but i do actually like greenday. even if they are "pop-punk" or "poseurs" and not goth. I do like their new stuff but the earlier stuff was better.
angel_dark_demon_bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:45 AM   #6
Bete Noire

"They are nothing but a generic punk pop band." Horrorgirl thou art correct. There is a girl who goes to my school and slits her wrists and listens to green day and my chemical romance and lots of emo music. She calls herself a "glamour-goth". She is a pathetic wannabe. She has no idea what "goth" is and is very close-minded....Shit i'm ranting. Sorry.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:47 AM   #7
Nemesis

dont get me wrong i wasnt saying that you couldnt like them..i have no problem with that its just people who insist that they are punk when they aren't
Old 12-21-2005, 11:12 AM   #8
angel_dark_demon_bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
No one said you couldn't like them, and why are you apologizing?
I didnt want to take a chance of pissing off someone who hated them with a passion.
angel_dark_demon_bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:35 AM   #9
Hirsipuutarhuri

GreenDay...is...not...good...
Hirsipuutarhuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:47 PM   #10
Metatron

Any reason why you're saying that? When you have an opinion, support it...most of us aren't psychic and can't guess what the hell you're thinking. I do like GreenDay...although their new stuff is too political for my taste. Dookie is probably my favorite album of theirs.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:03 PM   #11
Bride_Of_Satan

Location: Blyth, UK - its a weird place but I was born and bred here so I've got to love it.
I love Greenday but I do have to agree with you. I can only stand Heavy/Black/Dark metal and certain types of rock music and Greenday are falling into the same catergory as Avril Lavinge. I much prefer their older songs such as Minority and Basketcase - those two songs changed the world in my opinion.
Bride_Of_Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #12
rockandrose

Green Day is a "pseudo-punk band"

"Green Day are a cartoon. They are The Simpsons of rock – a band you can safely let your kids watch even if it is a bit risque, because in the end it all boils down to repeated choruses of "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie – oi, oi, oi", a few fireworks and a bit of jumping around in a paddock.

Perhaps that is a simplistic view, but then, pretty much everything Green Day do is simplistic.

They are a three-piece Californian pseudo-punk band with a handful of chords and a similar amount of gestures about youth and, just lately, about the way their country, the US, is going about its business."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.a...55E2702,00.html
Old 12-21-2005, 07:30 PM   #13
Fallenfromgrace

I like greendays new stuff i think their new songs cool but i was never able to hear their older songs so ill check it out and give you all the final virdict in my opinion
Fallenfromgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:47 PM   #14
Blushing Heliophobe

Baah.

I don't care what losers listen to what bands, it doesn't make the bands themselves any more or less good. And Green Day is Pop. They're sold/marketed under the Pop charts.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:20 AM   #15
Demonista_Ravenesque

All the girly people like Greenday at the school I came from.

They were more interested in Billie Joe rather than the music though.

But I don't particularly care for their music.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:00 AM   #16
rubedo

here green day is used as a label on your clothes that shows what you like and hate. no one cares for the music, their all into what kind of hair-do the lead singers got and whether or not he's got a girlfriend. its all crap and i hate it. music is an audio form of art, not a visual. you hear it and are supposed to love the sound and are supposed to develop emotion from it that cant be developed otherwise. and so to these boy loving message ignoring people...you can only learn to ignore them and like what you like with no shame
Old 12-22-2005, 02:19 PM   #17
Metatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushing Heliophobe
Baah.

I don't care what losers listen to what bands, it doesn't make the bands themselves any more or less good. And Green Day is Pop. They're sold/marketed under the Pop charts.
Yeah, and so is Loreena McKennitt. Last time I checked she was a Celtic singer...
Old 12-22-2005, 04:13 PM   #18
bedlam babe

I used to be a fan of old stuff like Dookie but now, fuck, they make me cringe.
bedlam babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 05:12 PM   #19
insanityofhumanity44

i listen to their older stuff, particularly nimrod and dookie. but their new album isn't bad either.
insanityofhumanity44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 06:07 AM   #20
Bride_Of_Satan

Location: Blyth, UK - its a weird place but I was born and bred here so I've got to love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrose
"Green Day are a cartoon. They are The Simpsons of rock – a band you can safely let your kids watch even if it is a bit risque, because in the end it all boils down to repeated choruses of "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie – oi, oi, oi", a few fireworks and a bit of jumping around in a paddock.

Perhaps that is a simplistic view, but then, pretty much everything Green Day do is simplistic.

They are a three-piece Californian pseudo-punk band with a handful of chords and a similar amount of gestures about youth and, just lately, about the way their country, the US, is going about its business."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.a...55E2702,00.html
Good point. Some of their music is just noise and pointless lyrics, "I am St. Jimmy!" wtf is happening there?
Bride_Of_Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 03:23 PM   #21
~Angel_Of_Darkness~

I think Green Day ROCKS.....
"And as always, innocent like roller coasters. Fatality is like ghosts in snow and you have no idea what you're up against because I've seen what they look like. Becoming perfect as if they were sterling silver chainsaws going cascading......."
~Angel_Of_Darkness~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:08 PM   #22
Needled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bride_Of_Satan
Good point. Some of their music is just noise and pointless lyrics, "I am St. Jimmy!" wtf is happening there?
"I am St. Jimmy!" might be pointless in itself, but the story of St. Jimmy certainly is not. You have to listen to the whole album for that line to be meaningful. That's what I like so much about American Idiot. It tells a story. I'm not as big of a Green Day fan as I once was, but i recently seen them live for the American Idiot tour. Although they had the confetti and pyrotechnics... they weren't that great live.
Needled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:27 AM   #23
thetiesonyourcorset

i love Green Day there's old and new stuff Also i think Billy Joe IS HOTT AS FUCK!! i have a poster of green day on my wall and he's soo gorgeous in it!! i love that American Idiot is a story and it's a great story at that!!

*Blowing a kiss all over the world* Aren't i nice?
thetiesonyourcorset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:16 AM   #24
Needled

I just wanted to add that it's Billie Joe with an ie. I would have to agree with the fact that he is hot.. hopefully that's not the sole reason why you like Green Day!! I used to like bands, and it wouldn't be about the music, but about how 'hot' the guitarist/lead singer was. Now I know that image doesn't make the band, and the music is what's important. For example, I love Weezer, and they have, uh, less than stellar looks. I definitely wouldn't associate 'hot' with them...
Needled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:19 AM   #25
horrorgirl

True story......I told Green Day to their face that they sucked way back in 1991 before they got signed because they were a bunch of stuck-up snobs(which they were).Sure......I was Miss hardcore punk back then, but I felt like I told them the truth.I wouldn't say that now because I am too nice.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote