Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #101
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
You were wrong, I was right. You kept on being wrong, I kept on being right.
You've spent the entire thread telling me that I’m wrong and you’re doing it here again. Saying that someone is wrong does not prove that they are wrong. You really need to get this into your numbskull brain.

Even in my above post, which was obviously intended to be inflammatory, I was trying to communicate various points to you about how stupid that faggy webzine article you posted was. You replied to none of them. Instead, once again, here you are, blabbing about how wrong I am.

If you want to talk about Brand New, fine. If you want to talk about why you think I’m wrong, fine. But if you are unable to actually have an intelligent discussion with me about either of those things then lets just leave it be.
D0PPLEGANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #102
gothicusmaximus

Doppelganger, given that most of the people attempting to argue with you are jibbering half-wits who can't articulate an intelligent thought without tripping over their own mouth-expirate, I understand your hostility. I actually agree that the 2000s haven't been as important for music as the 80's and 90's. However, I also get JCC's frustration-- he only really asked that you listen to one song, and you refused to do so, at which point there's really no way for the discussion to continue.
By the way, Apathy, what good shows have been created this decade? I can name maybe five.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #103
JCC

What was I supposed to say? Your points were idiotic. I pointed out their progressive approach to time signature changes and you said they've been doing it for hundreds of years. No shit they have, but Brand New aren't a fucking neoclassical band, they're a post-hardcore band (or at least that's what they're closest to if you have to give them a definition, though I think they're pretty hard to classify now), and post-hardcore isn't a genre known for its progressive influences, OR AT LEAST WASN'T UNTIL THIS DECADE which is why we're having this fucking argument. It's like if KC and the Sunshine Band had released a disco track full of progressive time signature changes, would you say "So fucking what? This has been done before"? I mean, it's nice that you want to take part in our discussion, but it helps to know what you're talking about, like that when Brand New start taking influence from prog rock, it fucking means something about the nature of music this decade.

Then you said that the noise rock and mathcore influence is just pouring shit over their music, and then expected me to be content with that like it meant that they weren't doing something different because two terms you have no understanding of you flippantly disregarded. Again, it means something when a post-hardcore band sound like Lightning Bolt (who are also, by the way, visionary musicians from this decade) or mathcore (a unique style that came to prominence this decade). I mean, you wouldn't know that, because you're not interested in learning anything, just in being able to bullshit your way out of admitting that you came into this discussion half-cocked by not knowing about the state of music this decade but feeling informed enough to make a judgment about it.

Also, all of those Brand New songs are from their early output, which wasn't what I was talking about. If you want to know, the song I was referencing was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mc6JKM_YkQ
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #104
D0PPLEGANGER

I’m not attacking any bands because they have influences. I’m attacking them because they make shitty lightweight amalgams of stuff that went before.

If Brand New are hard to classify it's because they’re a bad rip off of sooo many different types of music.

As for the song. Why don't you just listen to the Deftones instead or early RATM.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #105
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0PPLEGANGER View Post
I’m not attacking any bands because they have influences. I’m attacking them because they make shitty lightweight amalgams of stuff that went before.

If Brand New are hard to classify it's because they’re a bad rip off of sooo many different types of music.

As for the song. Why don't you just listen to the Deftones instead or early RATM.
Deftones or RATM? You didn't listen to it, did you?
Old 11-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #106
Still Jack

On a sidenote, RATM were hardly groundbreaking anyway.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #107
JCC

I don't know man, RATM were pretty different. When they dropped their first record in '92, nobody sounded like RATM.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #108
Krick Wurkheiser

D0ppelganger's right. And it takes more than fiddling with a time signature to make good music.
Krick Wurkheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:17 AM   #109
Still Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
I don't know man, RATM were pretty different. When they dropped their first record in '92, nobody sounded like RATM.
Although, that's true, they basically combined shitty metal and hip hop. so it's still kind of derivative...
Old 11-24-2009, 02:49 AM   #110
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
Although, that's true, they basically combined shitty metal and hip hop. so it's still kind of derivative...
And the funk.
Also, am I right in thinking that he's saying 00's music is shit because it's derived from previous genres?

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:09 AM   #111
Still Jack

Yes, and he's a twat, because all music is derived from some influence or other, thus, making everything wholly unoriginal. But he completely fails to comprehend that small fact, which is why we're fucking awesome, and he's a fatuous moron, whose mother hated him and gave the bigger bedroom to his afterbirth.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:13 AM   #112
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
By the way, Apathy, what good shows have been created this decade? I can name maybe five.
Well, you've got The Wire and Deadwood, but Disaffected Shoelaces introduced me to a lot of British comedy I'd never seen before. I think I'd already started watching I'm Alan Partridge (90s, just an aside) but you've also got Peep Show, Black Books, The Office, Kath & Kim,
Nathan Barley and In the Thick of It (thanks Judge). ITTOI is sometimes hard to follow given the speed of the dialogue and heavy accents, but although the political commentary is obviously British, it works well enough on a functional level to be easily comprehensible (even if certain references went over my head). Mad Men would be another, although unfortunately the great start gave way to soap-opera style bullshit in the second series. I also have a weakness for Doctor Who, despite its hit-and-miss nature.

I think my biggest hard-on for TV created in the 00s has to go to Jam. It's hilarious, twisted as fuck and NOT to be watched on a hangover/comedown, and is probably the best example I've ever seen of a work which sustains trippy levels of formal innovation, without sacrificing the sharp social commentary that characterizes the best comedy. The show is a fucking work of art.

On a side note, although you asked specifically about shows CREATED in the 00s, I'd also include South Park, as it only really got good around 2002. Ditto Sopranos - created 1999, but all series but one were screened in the 00s.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #113
solanine

I have to agree with Peep show and Black books, both are great shows.

Mighty Boosh (originally a radio show in 1998 before going to television in 2004) is also a great show. One comedy show that sticks in my mind (although the original series is pre 2000) is Blackadder goes fourth and the very last episode still pulls at my heart strings.
solanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #114
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krick Wurkheiser View Post
D0ppelganger's right. And it takes more than fiddling with a time signature to make good music.
Firstly, no he isn't, and secondly, that wasn't my fucking point, I'm not trying to prove that Brand New are good. My point was that a post-hardcore band taking influence from progressive rock shows the development of experimentation in 00s music. Don't tell me I'm wrong when you're just skim-reading my posts.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #115
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
Yes, and he's a twat, because all music is derived from some influence or other, thus, making everything wholly unoriginal.
Go suck Mick Hucknall's dick retard. And when you're wiping the jizz off your face you can ask him what you've always suspected, that is, if he really is your dad.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #116
Still Jack

Wow, I must have seriously traumatized you with the afterbirth comment to get a result like that.

Win.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #117
LakitaJackson

Quote:
You are a ginger boy. You take photos of yourself smoking cigarettes and holding cans of beer to look cool. Go away.
Pepper Jack gets some lenience though, he actually IS cool.

The ginger part is unforgivable, however.
LakitaJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #118
Still Jack

I can't help being ginger, it was bestowed on me to level my tremendous amount of awesomness out.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:38 AM   #119
Pineapple_Juice

Some people-like myself-actually fake their gingerness in order to be perceived as one of the cool kids. Embrace the red.

PS Lady Gaga's little yellow outfit at the end of the Paparazzi video is awesome. End.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:14 AM   #120
Malice In Wonderland

Lady GaGa doesn't really bother me tbh.
Sure she's a corporate whorebag who makes average electropop, but she's pretty funny and good at showmanship.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #121
Tam Li Hua

Yeah, I don't know; she always seems like she's trying a little too hard to be "alternative", but maybe that's just me.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #122
Alkali Girl

I really don't know what to think of Lady Gaga, except that there are generally other things I'd rather be listening to. All I know for certain is that this makes me happy beyond words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw7ph7GrjJ8
Alkali Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #123
LakitaJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Some people-like myself-actually fake their gingerness in order to be perceived as one of the cool kids. Embrace the red.
Gurl, yo' mama needs to beat the devil that be plagin' you out yo' skull!
LakitaJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #124
Cretin Dilettante

Cool

Quote:
Go suck Mick Hucknall's dick retard. And when you're wiping the jizz off your face you can ask him what you've always suspected, that is, if he really is your dad.
You mad, bro?
Cretin Dilettante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #125
Maverick

I'd say her influences came from the movie Spaceballs.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote