Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
Wormboy

Inside my shell I wait and bleed...

As the sun slowly sinks behind rolling green hills, a neighborhood settles in for the night. On a hill lined with lovely, luxurious houses, all of them with perfect gardens, and all of them in exemplary condition. This is perhaps the most utopian microcosm to ever exist, at least on the surface. Everybody knew everybody, and there was no major tension between anyone for longer than a week. Sure there were a few petty rivalries, but even they were in good fun. Every neighbor admired every other neighbor, but no one was loved or cherished more than James and Sarah Roberts. The happy couple, married for four years, was the perfect example of what all newlyweds on the planet longed to be. James, a white collar businessman, worked in a marketing company. The energetic, friendly, successful Iowan was loved by many, respected by more. Tall, dirty blond, blue eyed, well built, lean, and slightly tanned, he was superman in everyone’s eyes. His wife Sarah, an average height brunet with amazing green eyes and a body most of the men in the neighborhood drooled over, spent her days writing, she was phenomenal at it, and had published four books, all selling moderately well. They were married four years ago in a church down the street from their house, and were a well established cornerstone in the community. One night, Chris Wilson, long time friend and neighbor of the couple, got a call from James, and while this would normally be an inauspicious event, the recent emotional state of James caused Chris to jump at every word he said. Chris had been one of the few neighbors to look into James’s eyes and notice that there is something always bothering him deep down. Recently he had problems at work and had taken the day off with his boss’s permission. Their conversation did not help Chris’s worries any.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:24 AM   #2
Wormboy

Chris” mumbled James
“Yeah, what’s up” he asked in an anxious voice
Only silence, peppered with some labored breathing, answered him.
“James, what’s wrong man?” asked Chris, as he became increasingly nervous as the time passed.
“Chris” said James, this time his voice had a little more power in it, “… I need you to come over.”
“Alright, man, when?”
“Right now, has to be now”
“Is everything ok man?” Chris was now sweating bullets as he scrambled to put his shoes on.
“Don’t know what to do, I don’t know how. Couldn’t stop it, it just kept pouring, couldn’t let go, kept on going. Why…., how… how could I do” the line cut off, and Chris bolted from the house down the street towards James. He slid into James yard, leaping over the white picket fence, finding the door opened slightly. He kicked it opened and proceeded to sprint around the house, feverishly searching for his friend. After not finding him on the ground floor, he sprinted up the stairs as quickly as his tired legs could carry him. He saw James standing in the master bedroom with his back to the door.
“James,” Chris gasped, “there you are.” He said nothing.
Chris took a few cautious steps forward
“What’s wrong, James?”
“I am”
Chris stood next to James; his eyes filled with terror, for on the bed, Sarah Roberts lied there broken, bloody, and dead.
“What happened James” he yelled, his voice filled with tremors.
James shook his head, as if shaking off the cobwebs,
“I need some water, I’ll talk, but with water”
“Alright” Chris consented as he led James by the arm to the kitchen.
James poured himself a glass of water and gulped it down as if he hadn’t drunk for days.
“Ok,” Chris spoke slowly, his voice still shaking slightly, “what happened, tell me everything.”
James took a deep breath, setting the cup gently by his side near the counter.
“Three days ago I told you, I told you something wasn’t right with me, but I didn’t really tell you what.”
“I remember”
“Well, they’ve been talking to me more and more, and they told me to do it, they said it would make everything better, they convinced me, just for a moment,” emphasizing the word they with an exceptional accusatory tone.
“Who did?”
“THEY,” he shouted, “the voices.”
Chris sat there slightly dumbstruck, barely able to talk, “g- g- g- go on”
“All my life, I’ve heard them talking, I know they’re me, but they aren’t the me I always am. I’ve ignored them, but they’ve been getting stronger, like they used to be. It’s happened before, but they thought I was cured, they let me out, I don’t want to go back.”
“Wha…” Chris started before James cut him off.
“Eleven years ago, I was arrested for murder, but I was sent to an asylum, guilty by reason of insanity or something like that.” James swallowed another glass of water.
“You must be…” Chris was cut off again
“This isn’t a joke, Chris, I killed someone. A family man, wife, children, a good house, he had everything, the man was a fucking priest Chris, A PRIEST!”
“How did it happen?” he asked, slightly dumbfounded.
“I always heard voices, my whole life, since I was a kid. I always had weird little hallucinations, but nothing to panic over, and I told no one. One day, sitting in church, they told me he had been brainwashing me, that he wanted to use me for evil, and that if I didn’t cooperate with him, he’d attack my sister. The voices kept talking all sermon, and I finally believed them. I waited everybody to leave, and then I confronted him. I told him it wasn’t right, what he was doing, he asked me what I meant, and that’s when I snapped. I grabbed the bible next to me, and swung it at his head as hard as I could. He dropped to the floor, still conscious, but in pain. He got to all fours when I kicked him in the ribs with all my might. I heard and I felt the bones crack, and the voices in my head, they roared with applause. Here I am, watching a priest on hands and knees cough blood, and I hear all the voices applauding thunderously. I stomped on his fingers as I yelled, ‘I’m on to your brainwashing, you won’t make a Manchurian Candidate of me, and you won’t get near Emily.’ He choked out something to the extent of, ‘I don’t know what you mean’ when I bellowed, ‘enough lies’, then kicked him in the face. I felt it rise up in me, this passion, this heat, this pure hatred; it was a great feeling, terrible, but great. The fact he was a priest gave me a sick pleasure. I kicked him in the side again, yelling the words ‘choke on your lies’ repeatedly. At that point, I tore the four foot long metal cross off the wall and commenced to beat him with it, each thud accompanied by a crack of bone, a cough of blood, and the roaring applause of the demented audience in my head. I kicked him onto his back and kicked him in the face. The voices began yelling, ‘finish him, finish him’ I had to oblige them. I turned around and slammed the long end of the cross onto the altar, breaking a few inches off, leaving a spectacularly sharp spike. I stepped on his hair, causing him to scream in pain, and then, in one swift motion, I drove the spike through his throat and into the floor. His body jerked upward and then went limp. There was a silence in the church and the room in my mind, and then an ear splitting roar of applause erupted from the audience in my brain. By their word, in one fell strike, I had killed a trusted member of the community, a priest, and my own father. They found me guilty by reason of insanity, I spent eight years in the asylum, and I managed to pretend I was cured, so they released me, but that’s the problem with acting, you can only do it so long.”
Chris sat there in total silence, his eyes wide, and his jaw slack, speechless.
“Since then, anytime the voices get too strong, I just go on a ‘business trip’ to a secluded cabin and just freak out and destroy everything. Sometimes I think about all the things I’ve done during my freak outs, and I just laugh out loud. I wish I didn’t like this, but I can’t lie, I do. I love it, that rush, that feeling, but it’s a cruel mistress. Sometimes my hands, they… shake, I shake, and I feel like I’m going to explode. Sometimes I think I do explode, I always have these images in my head of me killing a dog or destroying a car, and sometimes I hear about random damage or assault, and then it makes me paranoid you know? Are they dreams or memories? I look in the mirror, my eyes turn red, my hair is standing on end, and I have no idea who’s looking back at me.”
Chris finally was able to process what he was hearing, though it sat ill in his mind.
“Have you ever thought about ther…” his sentence was cut short. James uttered a loud, coarse cry, and then flung the table lamp into the wall.
“Shut up! Shut up! Shut up you mother fuckers! I’m tired of your games!” James yelled, trying to drown out the dull roar in his mind. Chris stood paralyzed in fear. James spun around, ducked down, and charged headlong into the television, crashing right through that and partially breaking into the drywall behind it. He stood there, with his head in the TV, blood dripping down off his shoulders to the floor, panting heavily.
“Shut up!” he roared at the top of his lungs. Then he took a deep breath and thrust his hands forward with all his might. What was left of the television was broken in two and planted into the wall. He then flung around, teeth clenched and bared, breathing heavily, and shut his eyes tightly. His breathing became more and more labored, and all Chris could do was sit there and stare with a mixture of terror and shock.
“GET” he gasped coarsely, “OUT!” he screamed.
“GET OUT OF MY HEAD!” he roared at the top of his lungs, and with all his might he kicked the solid oak coffee table in front of him, sending it flying across the room until it collided with the wall, shattering to splinters with a deafening crash.
James grabbed his hair tightly and fell onto his knees, panting heavily.
“Fine” he muttered under his breath, “I’ll do it.”
“Dude…” Chris started shakily, “you need help, like now.”
“Help? Hahaha!” he cackled manically, “the only thing I needed help in was making up my mind, and I just have.”
“ab.. about-t-t-t what?” Chris stuttered.
James walked over to the cabinet behind him and smashed the glass paned door with the bottom of his fist.
“J-J-James, what di-did you mean by, you already made up your mind?” Chris trembled.
“Do you want to know what happened to her?” asked James, “I’ll tell you. We were kissing when I flinched in pain. I told her it was headache, but really, it was them, they were shouting. They kept yelling things, most of which I shouldn’t repeat or can’t remember, but the words ‘****’ and ‘kill’ were heavily used. I held them off as long as I could, but they won. I shoved her on the bed and ripped her clothing off her. At first she thought it was one of those spontaneous sexual moments we have, in a sense she was right. We made love like wild animals. Slowly I kept getting rougher, and rougher, and eventually it started to hurt her. I grabbed her hair as hard as I could and bit her on the neck, drawing blood. She cried out in pain, and I did it again. She was struggling, and pleading with me to stop, I didn’t stop, and they didn’t want me to. I pinned her to the bed and ***** her, there’s no other word for it, I ***** her. You’d think this would have sated them, but it didn’t. The cries of **** stopped, but kill was still being shouted. So I listened. I walked up to her, grabbed her by the hair, and threw her into the wall. Then I lifted her up, and threw her again. Then I grabbed her by the throat and picked her up, like a rag doll.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
Wormboy

I squeezed her throat until I saw blood come from her mouth, and then I dropped her like a sack of garbage. She was still breathing, so I grabbed her by the ankle, I knelt down, and I licked it, all the way from her foot down her leg to her crotch, then I stood up and threw her in the air. She got up about four feet off the ground before I grabbed her by the chin and slammed her head into the ground. She jerked violently then lay still. Then do you know what I did? I took it out and carved her body up, like a turkey, and then ***** her. I ***** her! The corpse of my own wife! Do you understand now why I never seem ok? I never am; I have thoughts like this all the time. They tell me what to do and who to kill, and here, and now, that who is you.”
James flung around and through a large piece of glass from the cabinet and threw it with all his might at Chris, it caught him between the eyes and he died instantly.
“Fuck not again!” James cried out, “They always win, I… I… I need to leave, to hide, to disappear. FUCK!” He quickly dialed 911, and ran to the kitchen. Once there he lit all the gas pipes, and tore off the stove from the wall. He then went to the garage and got the can of petrol. He poured most of it all over the house, then went to the car, got inside, and drove it into the living room. He opened the engine and gas tank, made a trail of petrol leading to the tank, and then towards the door. He lit a match and ran towards the horizon. He stood on a hill and watched as the house burned, sending smoke towards the heavens. Sounds of sirens in the distance told him it was his time to exit, and off he went, into the sunset...

Old 05-09-2008, 01:29 AM   #4
Wormboy

Not one comment... how sad.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:12 AM   #5
Pineapple_Juice

It's the title, methinks.
Pineapple_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
GothicChristian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice
It's the title, methinks.
Well, for the first thing I have read on this sight, it's okay. The title had thinking OH great a poem. I love poetry especially epic stuff but it was a short story.
There were a few glitches that are probably personal preferences on my part. I personally would have described the looks of shock on the victims faces, humanized the guy a little more especially at the end and and threw more personal drama in during as he vocalized his telling of what happened. This is just an example :
With empty, hollow eyes, and a voice that seemed to belong to someone else," All my life I have heard voices," he began.
"Voices?" Chris asked silently, afraid of what the next words out of his friends mouth were going to be.
"Yes,voices ," he answered with with something between sorrow and despair, " And this isn't the first time I've killed someone."
"James, " was all he could say , the shock of what his friend was telling him was starting to set in.
Then when he first saw Sarah's body. Ask yourself is this the way I would react if I found a body in my friends room especially his wives? Would I freaked out just a little bit more than that or would I have just said what the fuck in a loud voice and shook a little like this guy.
Tighten up the intro a little, that was a little boring . Ask yourself as your writing something is this enough or too much, does it keep the readers attention or am I going to loose them, and is this the best I can do? And always ask How can it be better.
I have a feeling you can do better, but it wasn't half bad.
GothicChristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
Tin_Lizzie

I like the title, and I'm glad you posted your story.

It's a little hard to read because it's not formatted for this space. Next time put an extra space between paragraphs. Also, the grammar and punctuation needs some work. Your imagery comes through despite the small errors, and I think this is worth polishing.

Try to jump right into the story, set the scene as you go along rather than telling us right up from what the characters look like and how they live. Most readers will already assume these are "normal" people so you don't need to spend so many words convincing us. Also there's some confusion whose story this is - introduce Chris first, then show us James and Sarah through his eyes.

I like your use of dialog, but I agree with GC that your characters need to react more, by that I mean both physically and mentally. The trick is to stay in one point of view: in this case you'd want to think from the viewpoint of the neighbor Chris and describe his internal reactions to the madman's actions. James would grow even more dangerous, if Chris were to gradually realize it.

Interesting read. Thanks.
Tin_Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote