Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 04-28-2005, 10:04 PM   #1
creepylittleshit

ONE

What do you think?

http://www.one.org/About.aspx
creepylittleshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
Asurai

It sounds good.

But I myself would rather not have more of my money taken by force and given to third-world countries that hate us. I think that the billions that we send overseas (not counting the 30% of the UN budget that we pay) is quite enough.

Besides, Americans give more money in private donations to charity than any other nation. But that's apparently no good unless the all-knowing, never-erring Government (renowned for buying $400 toilet seats) oversees the distribution.

If you want to help out, then go and donate a few dollars to the charity of your choice (the Red Cross is always a good choice). It would do much more good than trying to raise taxes to pay for this sort of thing.
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
Asurai

TStone,

Forty-two weeks! Er, months, or days, or something like that.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #4
Asurai

Xnguela,

As determined by the ancient Pythagoreans and Eratosthenes, forty-two is ALWAYS the answer. It is the mathematical frequency at which the time-space strings of creation vibrate.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:43 PM   #5
Loy

Asurai-Americans give more in private donations? As far as I've read, it's the Japanese that do (as far as percentage of income AND how much they actually give), and as far as the most in overseas donations as overseen by governmental bodies....again, everything I've read points to Japan kicking our asses.

And before you jump in with "well we give more than most", actually, we're fairly low on the list. I'll have to look up the information again, but if I'm remembering correctly, we're like number 25 as far as donation-to-income ratio, and about 14 on the actual amount we donate.

As far as you not liking tax money being sent overseas to countries that "hate" us, I hate having my taxes being wasted on the military (I'm not against the military per se, I'm against $400 toilet seats, and about $2 billion in credit card debt the military paid for when a number of their officers over-extended their cards). Don't make me whine about paying my taxes.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:49 PM   #6
Solumina

…you make me laugh
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:22 PM   #7
Jane13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Asurai, hunny-love... Have you read the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

Get it?

Ha!

I fail. I am NOT funny. urgh. :?
That's what I thought they were talking about when I first read the post!
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:39 PM   #8
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
We spend a lot of our money in other countries. It's just mostly on ammunition. But we're giving way used bullets here!

Anyway, sarcasm aside, I don't see why we can't lower the tax money taken in by the government in other ares to make up for the increase this would otherwise cause.[/u]
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:57 PM   #9
Asurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loy
Asurai-Americans give more in private donations? As far as I've read, it's the Japanese that do (as far as percentage of income AND how much they actually give), and as far as the most in overseas donations as overseen by governmental bodies....again, everything I've read points to Japan kicking our asses.
Excepting Japan, of course. Whenever any generalization is made about anything, the Japanese are always excepted. They kick all of our asses.

As for the rest, I may be mistaken or remember what I read incorrectly, but I believe that US citizens give more in private donations than those of any other nations (or are at least in the top five or so).

For a little bit of documentation, here's a publication from the International Red Cross:

http://www.icrc.org/Web/Eng/siteeng0.nsf/htmlall/622MA6/$FILE/icrc_ar_03_Finance.pdf?OpenElement

In terms of government donations, the United States gave more than any other government body by far, with the United Kingdom in second place with a total equal to less than half that of the US total. (Scroll down to just past halfway.)

Surprisingly, Japan is quite low on the list -- 18 million Swiss francs, compared to 231 million from the US.

Unfortunately, it doesn't list private donations by country, and I'm having trouble finding that info.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:34 PM   #10
Loy

You forgot to mention that the RC is, for the most part, an American-based organisation. To use our donations to the RC to prove that we give more money than other governments do is liken to me saying that Americans are all over gay rights because the Seattle Pride Day comittee received more donations from americans than from the Japanese.

You also forgot to mention that the RC is not the only multi-nationally active releif organisation in existence, and you also forgot to mention direct compenses. So, when all the donations to all those other organisations, and all the direct fundings are added together, that's when our mighty position does a really big drop.

And as far as the UN is concerned.....didn't we skip out on our dues for about 20 or so years? Where exactly is this 30% of the UN we're paying for?
Old 05-05-2005, 05:30 PM   #11
Asurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loy
And as far as the UN is concerned.....didn't we skip out on our dues for about 20 or so years?
I hope so.

As for the rest, true. The IRC is, as the name implies, slightly more international than the American Red Cross, but it's still primarily American. But it's also the easiest international organization to find financial info on, not to mention the largest, and people from across the entire world, from nearly all countries, donated specifically to the IRC after the tsunami disaster.

So, I'm stuck trying to find financial statistics again. Any ideas on what organization I should look up? It needs to be significantly large, and I can't think of any major ones other than the RC.