Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #51
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia Deetz View Post
P.S. to Alan: I forgot to thank you earlier to for defending me when I wasn't able log in for the past few days even when you didn't have to. You and a few others have kept me from wanting to say "Fuck this" and leave. For now at least. Also, my pride as I have a personal history/issue with bullies and hate seeing them think they have power. I'm trying; but damn it's hard.
Yeah, she's still here 'cause of you and othes like you. Thanks alan

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #52
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
Yeah, she's still here 'cause of you and othes like you. Thanks alan
Hah, yeah, she's a real martyr. But all the same this thread should not be the reason to lash out at her.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:43 AM   #53
Cicero

That's the wonderful thing about human evolution, our ideas are constantly changing and being updated with the new available data. Of course you're going to find loads of sources on the hypothesis of meaty encephalisation because it's pretty much the oldest one out there. The food processing hypothesis, on the other hand, is still in its infancy (evidence of food processing, after all, doesn't preserve quite as well as beautifully cut-marked bones), and because it lacks any juicy images of Homo erectus ripping animals open the media has been a bit slower latching onto it. Also you might notice that the most recent article you posted also throws in the cooking thing is a rather vital part of the current meat-eating theory, so hah. But anyway...

Some further reading

Firstly, search for the books "Catching fire: how cooking made us human" by Richard Wrangham (there's a pdf on google scholar) and "Fire: the spark that ignited human evolution" by Frances D. Burton. Here's a nifty little review of both books from New Scientist: http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-us-human.html

This is a study on how cooking can lead to more efficient calorie intake, co-authored by Wrangham:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...8&searchtype=a

This is on the new evidence that places an 800,000 year gap between the earliest meat eating and the big-brained genus Homo coming into existence:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture09248.html

That was just from what I could fish up without too much effort. There's lots more out there if you're willing to search for it.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #54
ape descendant

I went ahead and read those articles. And what I'm wondering is how the idea of cooking being advantageous and most likely an incredibly important factor, negates the idea of adding meat to the diet being a big factor in the evolution of the human brain.

Unless you're trying to tell me that the addition of meat to the early hominid had little or nothing to do with the evolution of the human brain, we can pretty much agree, because I'm nowhere near believing that only one factor would have to be responsible for the development of complex features in a species.

I'm quite familiar with far more, as I really enjoy studying Evolutionary Anthropology even more than I enjoy reading myths, legends and subtitles.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #55
Cicero

Well yeah, I'm not saying meat had no effect at all, I'm just saying that based on the available evidence I don't think it was the major player people keep giving it credit for. There are many other viewpoints to consider, and not a single one will ever be proven 'right'.

But from all your extensive reading you should already be familiar with how little anthropologists agree on things ;]

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:48 AM   #56
ape descendant

... yeah, I noticed that. It seems to be part of the fun, because somewhere in the midst of all this floating knowledge is one of the most epic stories I'll ever care to know...

Be Kind
Old 12-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #57
carakitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia Deetz View Post
I'm hyperglycemic so I can't go too long without a meal or else I get weak, dizzy, and on the verge of passing out. Also, since I've been so long without real meat and fried food(the really greasy kind), when I am forced to eat it, I start to feel sick as my body has to adapt to it again.
What about using a large purse or other sort of bag and packing some non-perishable stuff with you that meets your dietary requests?

I believe I'm borderline hyperglycemic (or something, if I don't eat often enough I get raging migraines) so I tend to stash extra stuff like granola bars, trail mix, bottle for water, and a bottle of excedrin in my car or school bag.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #58
DorianAronnax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
I don't think you're a stereotypical vegetarian, I think you're a stereotypical person.

How the fuck is it a hassle to say, "Can I just have this dish made without chicken? Thanks." How is that ruining your friends' night?
I have to concur with this. I've been taken to several steak houses where the meat plays such a central role to every dish that I'm quite surprised the forks were not made of bone, and yet they were more than happy to accommodate my vegan diet. The result is usually pasta, but I've not met many people who do not like pasta.

As for hypoglycema, have you tried Clif bars or similar bars? They're protein bars made for hikers who need some quick energy, I use them as a meal replacement.
DorianAronnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #59
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by carakitty View Post
What about using a large purse or other sort of bag and packing some non-perishable stuff with you that meets your dietary requests?

I believe I'm borderline hyperglycemic (or something, if I don't eat often enough I get raging migraines) so I tend to stash extra stuff like granola bars, trail mix, bottle for water, and a bottle of excedrin in my car or school bag.
Eh, don't offer suggestions. She's clearly the kind of person who will INSIST on being damned with no hope in sight. There is obviously NO POSSIBLE WAY for her to obtain a meal at a restaurant when there is a lot of meat.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #60
DorianAronnax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Eh, don't offer suggestions. She's clearly the kind of person who will INSIST on being damned with no hope in sight. There is obviously NO POSSIBLE WAY for her to obtain a meal at a restaurant when there is a lot of meat.
Some people's favorite furniture is the cross. I prefer the couch.
DorianAronnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #61
PortraitOfSanity

I have a plan for a restaurant. It's gonna be pretty awesome...

You have to dress as a Viking. You sit on the floor around a bonfire. A waitress brings you live animals of your choice, and a chainsaw. While you're eating, naked wenches of both sexes bring you mass quantities of mead.

I'm still looking for investors. So all you trust fund kids, STEP UP!

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #62
Solumina

Dude, I would totally go to that restaurant
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #63
PortraitOfSanity

inorite!!!!!!!!!

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
Old 12-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #64
ape descendant

Naked wenches of both sexes? Lets do this thing!!

Be Kind
Old 12-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #65
Pineapple_Juice

I feel like around the lunch rush it would smell like cooters and ballsack in that restaurant. Let's hope y'all have a good air conditioning system in there.

(I have the same fear about strip clubs)
Old 12-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #66
Solumina

Quote:
I feel like around the lunch rush it would smell like cooters and ballsack in that restaurant. Let's hope y'all have a good air conditioning system in there.

Only bad strip clubs have that smell, the good ones smell just fine.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 12-09-2010, 02:05 AM   #67
Pineapple_Juice

Well hell, I'm going tomorrow then.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #68
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:

Wait, I'm implying that animals are slaughtered on site with chainsaws, cooked over bonfires, and that everyone's completely drunk, and you're worried about genital smells? You wouldn't even be able to smell that over the blood, smoke, alcohol and vomit...

-Mr. Filth
Old 12-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #69
Solumina

Ewww can I please get a spot away from the vomit?
-Carbon Leaf
Old 12-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #70
ape descendant

I'd like a smoky bon-fire next to the blood please.

Be Kind
Old 12-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #71
MinervaLiRenfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post

You have to dress as a Viking. You sit on the floor around a bonfire. A waitress brings you live animals of your choice, and a chainsaw. While you're eating, naked wenches of both sexes bring you mass quantities of mead.

This is filled with all sorts of win!
MinervaLiRenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #72
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post

Please let me know when you've got the financial aspects of this all figured out. I'll be your #1 customer.