Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 11-25-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
JulesJBJuliet

We know what you're reading, but what do you want to read?

We've discussed what we are reading, but what do you want to read? Is there anything you are hardpressed to find? Is the current marketplace barren of fresh material in your favourite genre? Are you satisfied with what you are reading now? What do you think is missing or lacking at the moment? Not enough short story anthologies? etc.
JulesJBJuliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
lizzy

well, the only library that my hickass town has, has mostly christian books. i have to go to paris to get a decent book. however, i wish there were more books about certain bands. instead of getting false info about a band on the internet, you could get a book with facts.
lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:41 PM   #3
TheKorovaMilkbar

Lots of books. I really would like to read Fight Club.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:05 AM   #4
winged_dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea
I feel that there is a lacking of gothic fiction (not to sound cliche`) but we have to make do with Splatterpunk and the classicds (not complaining)- but there is a gap that should be filled with thw aesthetic, mysterious, joint-pulling prose that died when Poppy Z. went mainstream,....
I certainly agree.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:39 PM   #5
xXambivalenceXx

I'd like to re-read Steal This Book by Abby(sp?) Hoffman, and another book entitled The Day No Pigs Would Die. I'm not sure what it's about, but it's banned from my school library, hence the interest.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:22 PM   #6
Saya

Someone gave me a copy of The Day No Pigs Would Die. Wasn't interested enough to read it, but hey, if its banned, it has to be good, right? ^_^
I want to read The Princess Bride (it was my favourite movie when I was little), and our bookstore has a horrible Manga selection. Its pricy and they don't update series at all. Oh, and I cannot for the life of me find The Once and Future King by T.H.White. I've been wanting to read it since I was twelve.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:08 PM   #7
Scythan

I would like there to be more good quality science fiction being written. I find that I am running out of older ones, and not enough new ones are being written.
Scythan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:07 PM   #8
Scythan

Yes, at one point I had read every single book of his that I could find. It's been long enough so that if I came across one again, I would enjoy it as if it were completely new. I'm thinking of starting a collection of his books.
Scythan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
Beowulf

I would like to read some Clive Barker (Horror writer) stories, but does anyone have any books to reccomend ?.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:56 PM   #10
ennui

A number of years ago, I went on a Barker frenzy, but oddly enough the book a liked best wasn't one of his horror ones but a fantasy epic. This is also strange because I am not a big fantasy novel reader. Anyway, I recommend Weaveworld.

Here it is at Amazon where you can look inside and read a few pages. I love that feature. Plus there is a list here of Clive Barker books for you to peruse. Happy Reading.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...lance&n=283155
ennui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:58 PM   #11
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennui
A number of years ago, I went on a Barker frenzy, but oddly enough the book a liked best wasn't one of his horror ones but a fantasy epic. This is also strange because I am not a big fantasy novel reader. Anyway, I recommend Weaveworld.

Here it is at Amazon where you can look inside and read a few pages. I love that feature. Plus there is a list here of Clive Barker books for you to peruse. Happy Reading.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067...lance&n=283155
Imajica is still my favorite of his novels.

Can't rant about it enough. It's just that friggin good. It makes me Foamy.

I'm afraid I will immediately starting humping his leg when I meet him..

Which would NOT be good.

He's a Demi-God..

Imajica=Whoa!!!
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:20 PM   #12
sensuous0mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Fight club is teh awesome...

As odd as this sounds, I'd be interested to read Mein Kampf. No worries, I'm not a Nazi, but it would be interesting.

I have read Mein Kampf. It was absolutely riveting. Thank you Mr. Hitler, for your fascinating dictation!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:38 PM   #13
VampGrrl

Probably the next thing I buy will be The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. A friend recommended it and it looks fascinating.
VampGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:06 PM   #14
JuliaGaltic

Wow, a lot of good recomendations in here. I LOVED Imajica!

Xng, I'm actually reading, and thoroughly enjoying, Split Infinity by Piers Anthony at the moment.

Scythan, you sound like you've read a lot of sci-fi type books already but, I'll go ahead and give you my recomendations. Have you read any Robert A. Heinlein? My favorites by him are: Stranger in a Strange Land and The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. Ender's Shadow and the ensuing books by Orson Scott Card were also good reads for me, and, of course, Imajica by Clive Barker.

When I'm done with The Apprentice Adept trilogy, I'd like to read Memoirs of a Geisha.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:03 AM   #15
WolfMoon

My favorite Piers Anthony book is 'On A Pale Horse'. The series kinda goes down hill after that one, but that book is hilarious.

And I'm more into Clive Barker's shorts stories than his novels. I'm thinking I might just read Imjica one day. It was a recommendation by my mom, as were the Lumley novels I never read.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #16
Empty_Purple_Stars

Imajica has a very slow start, but be sure to press on through. It's totally worth it. I have never seen another writer, combine the elements of Erotica and unimaginable Horror, the way Barker does in this novel.

It sexzie and sad and horrifying and wonderfully disturbing, all at the same time.

Did anyone know that Piers Anthony wrote one Erotic Horror novel?

It's called Firefly and it's definitely worth the read. Also sexzie, but in an extremely fucked up way.

My kind of book!!!

Old 02-01-2006, 09:54 AM   #17
sensuous0mar

I am always reading christopher moore books...but what I'd really like to read is some Harry Potter. Seriously, I haven't read any of the books. I have seen the movies, but it is high time I read some of that kinky preteen witchcraft shit.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #18
JuliaGaltic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
...Did anyone know that Piers Anthony wrote one Erotic Horror novel?

It's called Firefly and it's definitely worth the read. Also sexzie, but in an extremely fucked up way.

My kind of book!!!
Thank you for the tip! It sounds like my kind of book as well.

Has anyone read the Sleeping Beauty trilogy by Anne Rice? Is it any good? I've always been kind of curious about it.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #19
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaGaltic
Thank you for the tip! It sounds like my kind of book as well.

Has anyone read the Sleeping Beauty trilogy by Anne Rice? Is it any good? I've always been kind of curious about it.
I liked them very much. But you should have a penchant for being aroused by Domination or Submission, to truly enjoy them.

Beauty gets punished alot.

Here's a link to the series on Amazon:

Sleeping Beauty Series

I can also reccommend Exit to Eden that she wrote under the Pen Name of Anne Rampling. Ignore the fact that it was made and assraped into a TERRIBLE movie, and a comedy at that, which this book is NOT!!

It is erotic and perverted and amazing and sorrowful all at the same time. It is the love stroy of Elliot and Lisa, and a most original love story at that. It is still my favorite of her books. Can't reccommend it highly enough. Plus it covers just about every arousing fetish in the universe, besides the gross stuff. All in all, totally worth the read.

Exit to Eden

Lastly, the the other bit of Erotica she wrote, was Belinda. I also enjoyed it very much. You must suspend your own conventions a bit reading it, but like the movie The Professional, you adapt with the characters as they grow together. I guess you could call it her attempt at writing a "L O L I T A" type novel.

Belinda

Not related to Anne Rice, my most favorite Erotica of all time is Story of O. If you haven't read it, buy it, read it and then read it again. It is alot more hardcore, and not for those who aren't at least intrigued by the darker aspects of S&M. It is beautifully written, and wonderfully tragic. You'll definitely find yourself with hands shaking and thighs trembling more than once while reading it.

Story of O

Happily Moist Reading!!
Old 02-01-2006, 11:53 AM   #20
JuliaGaltic

Wow, well now I have all kinds of new reading material to go out and buy.
EPS, you have just made my bf a very happy man... he's going to have me jumping on him as soon as he gets home for a while...
Old 02-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #21
WolfMoon

Awwww man! I just relized I've got an ever-growing list of books to read and never any time to read. Not to mention getting out to a bookstore.

Blast it all.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:09 PM   #22
Jane13

The Brothers Karmanov

Notes From Underground

Ender's Game

Ender's Shadow

MacBeth

Grendel

... and the list goes on...
"There's straw in his brains and his clothing is stained with mice and small newts and the perfectly maimed. Don't look under his hood in the place where he stood or you'll find yourself running from the rook in the wood."
-Cinema Strange
Jane13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:50 PM   #23
PhilSmith

At some point I intend to start reading some of Charles Stross's novels. I enjoyed A Colder War -- quite a nice take on the Cthulhu stories there -- but I've yet to look at his novels.

Sadly right now all my book funds are going towards programming manuals. Specifically the o'Reilly books which are, not to put too fine a point on it, fucking expensive. Ah, beloved copy of Programming Perl, soon you shall be mine, mine, mine...
PhilSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:42 AM   #24
Pathogen.

I have a shitload of books & pamphlets on my bookshelf right now, including a new one I bought last week. However, I've started school again a month ago & I'm in a position where I'm reading certain books because I fucking have to. I would like to read that aforementioned new book "Chomsky On Anarchism" & 2 other books on my shelf, "On The Justice Of Roosting Chickens" [by Ward Churchill] & "Goth Chic" [by Gavin Baddeley], at some point. I'd also like to check out "Carrie's Story" [an erotica book with a strong emphasis on S&M]. Forgotten the author's name though.
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:40 AM   #25
LEXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
I would like to read some Clive Barker (Horror writer) stories, but does anyone have any books to reccomend ?.

If your into Clive Barker then try 'The Game' followed by 'Everville'(if you havent already)
LEXX is offline   Reply With Quote