Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:11 PM   #1351
Diana

As You Like It - William Shakespear
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:36 PM   #1352
MollyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SituationNoir

RIGHT NOW I'm finishing off Lost Souls By Poppy Z Brite.
Always a good call, but I thought "Drawing Blood" wa sfar superior.. but anythign with Steve and Ghost is niiiice. Her short Story "The Sixth Sentinel" in "Wormwood" is also impressve
Old 08-27-2007, 09:51 PM   #1353
Godslayer Jillian

Discourse on Method, by Descartes
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #1354
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Discourse on Method, by Descartes
Wow...way to make me feel stupid there Jillian :P

I'm currently reading a collection of H.P. Lovecraft stories called "Call of Cthulhu and Other Wierd Stories".

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:43 AM   #1355
Undead_Stagehand

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. NO, this is not for school.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #1356
raggedyanne

I'm rereading "The Complete Works of Machiavelli."
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:27 PM   #1357
BBerntson

After Silence by Jonathan Carroll. Very Unsettling
BBerntson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:02 AM   #1358
raggedyanne

I Robot by Asimov
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #1359
d.Nox

A collection of 17th- and 18th-century Gothic stories from Europe and America.

Umberto Eco's The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana

The complete works of Byron.

The Corpus Hermeticum

and

Llewellyn's New A to Z Horoscope Maker & Interpreter

...something for every mood.
d.Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #1360
d.Nox

Quote:
I think I'm about to read Being and Time (Zein und Zeit) by Heidegger.
I say I think because I see it and it scares me.
I know I'll have to read it eventually - it's the most influential work on continental philosophy - but I don't think I'm ready for it.
No-one's ready for it, or should be, IMHO. Heidegger's work is difficult largely because he made up his own philosophical language, without which it is almost impossible to discuss his ideas. This is a sure sign that he got caught up in his own abstractions and lost sight of the big picture. His reputation rests largely on the fact that nobody quite knows what he's saying.

That's not to say he didn't have some good ideas, just that they're nothing that can't be found in other philosophers, more lucidly.

Mind you, I haven't ever been able to work all the way through Being and Time, but as far as I've gotten I've never seen anything to contradict my view.

Save yourself the time and energy and go read Kierkegaard, being careful not to let his Christianity get in the way of his reasoning.
d.Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #1361
Aaroneet

I am currently reading THE HEART IS A LONELY WANDERER by Carson McCullers. Rarely if ever am I engrossed from the first page.

So far the book is a pleasant surprise.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:21 PM   #1362
msr.iaidoka

皆さん、今晩わ、

I am currently reading "The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty" by A. N. Roquelaure (pseudonym for Anne Rice). Hurrah for super sadomasochistic sexual relations.

Impressed and disturbed by her imagination,

Matt
msr.iaidoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #1363
raggedyanne

Ooh! That's a really good one!

I'm reading <<El misterio de Salem's Lot>> by Stephen King
Old 09-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #1364
msr.iaidoka

raggedyanne,

It is quite entertaining, but I have read better. I do realize that it is as much a satire as a serious work so I might pick up the other two in the series. Have you read the others?

Wishing I had been keeping track of the number of times she said "buttocks,"

Matt
Old 09-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #1365
Godslayer Jillian

Existentialism: From Dostoevsky to Sartre.
Selected and introduced by Walter Kaufman. And The Restaurant at the end of the Universe by Douglas Adams.

That is, those are the books I'm reading for pleasure. I also have to read my Astronomy book, by English book, my UNIV book, the autobiography Warriors Don't Cry, the autobiography of Abbie Hoffman, the book Making Peace With the Sixties by David Burner, and my Political Science book.
College is demanding so much of me.
I love it!
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #1366
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Ok, you cannot laugh. I have been reading A River Runs Through It, by Norman Mclean. Yes, the book that the movie was based on....reminds me of my younger days. Anyway, he is a good writer about growing up in B.F.E nowhere, a.k.a. Montana. Laugh, I know you want to. I have also been reading alot of Edward Abbey lately, Desert Solitaire, The Monkey Wrench Gang, Hayduke Lives!, Down The River, etc. I know, I am not worthy. But it sure is good reading!
Johnny Gnar Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #1367
raggedyanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by msr.iaidoka
raggedyanne,

It is quite entertaining, but I have read better. I do realize that it is as much a satire as a serious work so I might pick up the other two in the series. Have you read the others?

Wishing I had been keeping track of the number of times she said "buttocks,"

Matt
I found it quite funny. You should keep track, as she seems a bit obsessed with that word. I have yet to read the others, but any series that makes me blush during science is worth picking up.

I'm also reading Blood Bound, by Patricia Briggs. It's not erotica by any length, but it's interesting enough for a couple readings. Very supernatural/werewolf/vampire stuff.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #1368
msr.iaidoka

raggedyanne,

She also seems obsessed with using the polite words for things instead of letting her writing style slip deeper into raunch. I find it almost annoying, but that is just me, I prefer colloquial terms over their polite counterparts. Plus her obsession with spanking/paddling could be indicative of a personal kink, there are so many other sadomasochistic activities that she barely touches on or has missed all together.
She does manage to delve decently into mentality of dominance and submission. It reminds me of "Secretary" starring James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal.

If only all secretaries were so enticing,

Matt
Old 09-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #1369
raggedyanne

ROTFLMAO! You're totally right. It would be nice if she could throw in some slang. Scientific terms make me think of bio more than hot steamy anything. "Secretary" was an awesome movie. So pretty much we have an ettiquite obsessed writer with a hidden spanking fetish?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #1370
msr.iaidoka

raggedyanne,

Seems that way. I wonder if her husband got the hint and gave her the paddling that she so desperately desires.

Thank you, sir, may I have another?

Matt
Old 09-06-2007, 10:52 PM   #1371
raggedyanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by msr.iaidoka

Thank you, sir, may I have another?
I thought her husband was dead? Necro . . .
Old 09-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #1372
msr.iaidoka

raggedyanne,

He is indeed dead. But at the time of the Beauty series he was very much alive.

The dead can dance, but can they spank and paddle?

Matt
Old 09-06-2007, 11:30 PM   #1373
raggedyanne

Oookay. Still . . .

"The dead can dance, but can they spank and paddle?" lol : D
Old 09-06-2007, 11:50 PM   #1374
msr.iaidoka

raggedyanne,

It would not matter from about 2002 onward. First her husband died then she devoted herself to Catholicism. But between the release of the first Beauty book and the death of her husband I hope he was able to slake her thirst. Mayhaps he gave her her fill and that is why she was able to convert.
Either way I am not sure how to take the news of a book, and upcoming movie, about the young life of Jesus written by the same one who wrote the Beauty series...

Was Jesus a dom?

Matt
Old 09-07-2007, 12:04 AM   #1375
raggedyanne

I liked her views on religion during "memnoch" so I will definately read the new book. It is a bit of a change from erotica to religion. I didn't know about the whole devotion to religion thing though.
I think Jesus was a sub. Mary Magdelan (sp) was written down as a prostitute, so I think she was the dom and Jesus was the sub.