Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #4151
Mr E Nigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I like Leo too, but Cillian has those soul piercing eyes...

Actually, everyone did an amazing job, but I was also really really impressed with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I was afraid I was going to be all weirded out because I only ever saw him in Third Rock From The Sun before, but I completely forgot about it as the movie went on.

He was pretty easy on the eyes too, but that at least still feels weird and "He's the kid from Third Rock From The Sun"-ish.

ETA: actually, fuck it, I'm not going to shy away from it. I totally have a lady boner for Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
500 Days of Summer
Old 07-28-2010, 10:09 PM   #4152
Mr E Nigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
*spoiler*
At the end you see the top continue to spin but then hear it bobble when it cuts to credits insinuating that the ending was real. BUT the children are the same age and in the same clothing as they were in his memories..therefore making it seem like it's unreal. But him and the asian guy could possibly still be in limbo...or the whole dream was a job by Mason, to get Leonardo's character to admit that he didn't kill Moll...
-shrugs- *SPOILER* Well there's a few options that lead people to believe he's in a dream or not... From when Mal dies, really only a few months pass 'til we get to where the ending is so it's quite possible the kids just happen to be wearing the same clothes and they didn't age much, but so far the only clue to that is that Cobb is only wearing his wedding ring outside of the dream state.

Now of course the ultimate thought, is that if the whole movie is in a dream state.. no matter what, anything is possible and explaining it is pointless, haha.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #4153
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E Nigma View Post
500 Days of Summer
Got to see 1/2 of that movie, thought Joe looked familiar
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #4154
Saya

Quote:
-shrugs- *SPOILER* Well there's a few options that lead people to believe he's in a dream or not... From when Mal dies, really only a few months pass 'til we get to where the ending is so it's quite possible the kids just happen to be wearing the same clothes and they didn't age much, but so far the only clue to that is that Cobb is only wearing his wedding ring outside of the dream state.

Now of course the ultimate thought, is that if the whole movie is in a dream state.. no matter what, anything is possible and explaining it is pointless, haha.
Also, SPOILER, if you check the credits of the movie, there are two different sets of actors for the children. They didn't make that clear at the end, but it does seem that while they happen to be wearing similar clothes they are in fact older.

I don't get how the theory that it was all a dream works, though. I kinda get it if he was still stuck in limbo in the end, but if he was dreaming the whole time...who set it up? And how many layers were there really? With that many layers, wouldn't it be completely unstable? And why did the top fall all the other times in the movie, like when he was in Tokyo with a gun to his head?

I'll check out 500 Days Of Summer too, thanks!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:10 AM   #4155
Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
Yes, yes you should.
Brick is by far his best film and one of my all-time favorites. Inception was excellent and a great source of confusion in my dreams for days afterwards. I would wake up and just sit in bed and think about my dreams for a short period after waking.

Are there any other films of his that were that memorable?

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #4156
Saya

I know what you mean. I don't really remember the rest of the dream but last night I was standing with a group around a bay area, and there was a ship wreck in the water. And we got really pissed with our Architect because now it was really obvious that it wasn't real.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:49 PM   #4157
Hearts_Purple

Last movie...was either Begotten or Plan 9.

Last movie I watched with the hubby was IM2 and I loved finally getting to see War Machine! ^_^
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #4158
SandyTree

The Rocker
SandyTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #4159
Pineapple_Juice

Lady Vengeance. Aside from the creepy cunnilingus performed on a fat gross Korean woman, the movie was awesome.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #4160
Underwater Ophelia

I just watched Dinner For Schmucks. Very funny.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:32 AM   #4161
Mr E Nigma

Quote:
I know what you mean. I don't really remember the rest of the dream but last night I was standing with a group around a bay area, and there was a ship wreck in the water. And we got really pissed with our Architect because now it was really obvious that it wasn't real.
The top didn't fall over in tokyo, mainly because it was never spun.

More SPOILER*

And the possibilities of the top falling is that, because it wasn't originally his totem he can't necessarily control it, and who's to say he can't dream that it's reality and his sub-conscious 'causes the top to fall over in the dream because he wants to believe it's real so much
Old 07-31-2010, 07:05 AM   #4162
MissCheyenne

Toy Story 3. Was ok I guess.
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:15 AM   #4163
Fruitbat

The last movie I saw at the cinema was Eclipse (twi 3).

*ducks out of the way from all the crap that is being thrown in my direction - oh too slow..thwack - ouch**
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #4164
Saya

Quote:
The top didn't fall over in tokyo, mainly because it was never spun.

More SPOILER*

And the possibilities of the top falling is that, because it wasn't originally his totem he can't necessarily control it, and who's to say he can't dream that it's reality and his sub-conscious 'causes the top to fall over in the dream because he wants to believe it's real so much
I'll have to watch this again, I thought it fell at some point. But what I'm saying is that the number of levels that would require would be extremely unstable from what they were saying, and could they go to a deeper level if it was all his dream to begin with? I mean, the first level is Yusuf's dream so he stays in the van, the second level is Arthur's dream so he stays out of the winter fort, right? But it if was all Cobb's dream, how could he go down any further? And the moral at the end was that he had to let Mol go and face the reality that she died and it wasn't his fault. If it was a reality that he just wanted to believe so much, why didn't he wish Mol to be alive? And if the top is useless, why did it focus on it at the end?
Old 07-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #4165
Underwater Ophelia

The Fourth Kind is stupid.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:53 PM   #4166
vindicatedxjin

The fourth kind terrified me...fucking sumerian aliens.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:09 PM   #4167
Saya

I watched Paranormal Activity with Rifftrax. I didn't like it, but it was jumpy and I did get kinda scared when there was a knocking on my window.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:11 AM   #4168
Corpsey

Quote:
Woah, mine weren't that screwed up, more of a dreaming thought that kept me thinking when I woke up. I just carried the train of thought with my eyes open afterwards.

I just saw the film 1981 film Arthur. Full of one liners and a snobby witty Butler to top it off and Liza Minnelli. Definitely a comedy classic.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #4169
Lord Whiskerton

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Second Account that I doubt I'll be using: MiladyMalice
Lord Whiskerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #4170
Lord Whiskerton

Rambo (2008)

Second Account that I doubt I'll be using: MiladyMalice
Lord Whiskerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #4171
Sinjob

Cannibal: The Musical and [REC].
Cannibal was hilarious and [REC] was at least better than that American manifestation of shit known as Quarantine.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #4172
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearts_Purple View Post
Last movie I watched with the hubby was IM2 and I loved finally getting to see War Machine! ^_^
That really was very good ... and it WAS good to see War Machine in action. Thank goodness for the upgrade to Don Cheedle!

Monday night I was getting tired of the oppressive heat I returned to, so I put "Arctic Tale" on the big screen at home. If you set aside the blatant Disney anthropomorphism and Queen Latifah's bland narration, it was as cooling as watching any film about 3 years in the life of a polar bear cub and a walrus pup could be!

The next time I get such a notion, perhaps I should just put on Ice Station Zebra.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #4173
Ben Lahnger

Yesterday my SO and I went to a matinee showing of "Salt" with Angelina Jolie.

The movie has been getting high marks from most reviewers. They are all right in saying that there are huge holes in the plot, some things make no sense at all ... and when you're watching it none of that matters. It's a whip-saw roller-coaster ride of non-stop adrenaline chases and Angelina makes you believe she is running for her life for good reason. It reminded me of the first Bourne movie a bit, and was a thrilling way to spend a couple hours in the theater.

My recommendation? Go see it now!

PS. - Chiwetel Ejiofor proves again here (as he did in Serenity) that he makes an intelligent and threatening antagonist. I really am digging his acting.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #4174
Hearts_Purple

Party Monster

Why? I'll never have that hour and a half back!
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #4175
Disel

Fast Times At Ridgemont High.
Disel is offline   Reply With Quote