Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
Lady Ravenna

Tell me this...

Is there a book out there that you just can't get sick of no matter now many times you read it? Mine is "I Vampire" by Michael Romkey. Its just a kick ass book and its got something for everybody. I definitely recommend it!

Blessed Be
Lady Ravenna
Lady Ravenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
WolfMoon

Mine is "King of the Wind". I don't remember the author's name, but it's supposedly the story of how the Thoroughbred(racing horse) was started.

I've read it at least 5 times and never tired of it.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
Saya

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
IlGato_DiDiablo

Angels of Mourning - John Pritchard
IlGato_DiDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:39 PM   #5
Disfunction

I can't re-read books. I end up remembering it too vividly for some reason or another... unless I didn't hold to the details, in which case I don't think it was a piece of quality literature to begin with. Though, Catcher in the Rye has come close.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
DrenchedInGin

To Say Nothing Of The Dog by Connie Willis. I re-read all of my favourites constantly but that one makes me laugh every time.

I think I need something new though. Haven't read I Vampire yet... (races to library).
DrenchedInGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
She_Is_My_Sin

The whole of the His Dark Materials triology. Every time I read them I discover something new...but I still cry when I reach the chapter "Over the Hills & Far Away".
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
sheridan

Titus Groan and Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake...
sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:31 PM   #9
KeltikAon

London by Edward Rutherfurd
KeltikAon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:32 PM   #10
Samyania

My God, when do you have time to RE-read the Gormenghast trilogy?!
I couldn't even get through it the first time. That book is the hugest thing ever.

I keep reading Shade and Shadow by Francine G. Woodbury. It's apparently the only book she's ever written, which makes me a very sad person indeed, and it's much better than the blurb on the back makes it sound. It's not really a spooky kind of book, despite the title. The main character is a bit spooky, and someone dies, but it's not a single bit gothic.
Samyania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #11
Samyania

I didn't mean to sound defensive or anything, I just felt the need to explain because the title makes it sound darker (pun totally unabashedly intended) than the book really is.
Samyania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #12
winged_dreams

A Wrinkle in Time, Earth, Lost Souls, and Lord of the Rings. I can read books over a lot pretty easily.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:41 PM   #13
PhilSmith

The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted! by Harry Harrison. Fun from start to finish.
PhilSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #14
Wise Child

The Sound and the Fury and As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner. The thing I love most about Faulkner is that the more you read, the more you get.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #15
Metatron

The Lord of the Rings and those Merlin books by T. A. Barron (I think).
Old 02-12-2006, 11:33 PM   #16
sheridan

np: Toy Box - Leave (rough demo version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSmith
The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted! by Harry Harrison. Fun from start to finish.
I'll have to dig out my Stainless Steel Rat books - it's been so long since I re-read them I think a couple more have come out (something about Hell?)

The last book I finished was West of Eden by Mister Harrison - a 'what if' book showing how the world could be different if the meteor hadn't struck 75 million years ago (plus a large dollup of fantasy).
Old 02-12-2006, 11:35 PM   #17
sheridan

np: Adam and the Phil and the DeathBoy - Money and Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samyania
My God, when do you have time to RE-read the Gormenghast trilogy?!
I couldn't even get through it the first time. That book is the hugest thing ever.
Believe it or not I read Titus Groan over the course of a weekend! I carefully didn't say the whole trilogy though, as I found Titus Alone to be quite tedious - I've only ever read it the once (though I will re-read it again sometime, when I've ploughed through oh-so-many other books).
Old 03-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #18
ennui

I can definitely re-read a book i loved but I have to give a minimum of a year pause or I also remember too many of the details to capture that wow! factor of the writing style, storyline or what have you. Right now, the Bell Jar and Catcher in the Rye come to mind, as do a few of Anne Rice's and the Hobbit. I read Memiors of A Geisha a few years back and loved it. I haven't seen the film, but I think i want to re-read the book again first. OMG you started a stream of conscious...now I'm recalling a couple of Amy Tan's books that I would read again. I'm going to shut up now.
ennui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #19
Pathogen.

*"Fire To The Powder Keg" [Eberhardt Press].

*"Living My Life" [volumes 1 & 2] by Emma Goldman.

*"Lost Souls" by Poppy Z. Brite.

*"The Philosophy Of Punk" by Craig O'Hara.

*"Unfinished Business" by the Class War Federation.

*The Crow [original comicbook graphic novel].

*"Live From Death Row" & "All Things Censored" by Mumia Abu-Jamal.

*"Wretched Of The Earth" by Franz Fanon.
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:40 AM   #20
Shi'ark

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:12 AM   #21
tenet_2012

I am Legend

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:16 AM   #22
Sobeh

When the Legends Die, by Hal Borland
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:26 AM   #23
Jimsin

Definitely Mervyn Peake's 'Titus Groan' and 'Gormenghast' for me ... I can understand the criticism that people find them too slow, because that's what I first thought when I started reading them - but that's because I was simply looking to read a story. There is a great story to these books, but it comes secondary to the description, and when you start to appreciate that,then the books really come to life.

These books are so rich with detail and creativity that I can just open them at random - read a paragraph, and then think about it for ages. I think it helps not to have seen the horrible BBC TV version first which attempted to turn a very dark story into something of a pantomime.

The third book 'Titus Alone' is still interesting, but is rather disjointed because Peake was dying while he wrote it, and they had to kinda cobble it together from his manuscripts after his death.
Jimsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 03:44 PM   #24
honeythorn

I must agree with Sheridan and Jimsin, mine too is the Gormenghast trilogy!( I named my rabbit Titus!) I'm glad someone else finished the books, no one I know has managed it. Like you say, it is a little heavy going at first but once you get into it..........well. I love the way Peake can take up half a page describing how motes of dust swirl in sunlight, or how many colours the sky takes on at sunset. Has anyone seen the BBC film adaptation of Gormenghast at all? I think it's quite good.

One of my other favourite books to re-read is The Lord Of The Rings. I just cannot seem to get bored of it. It's the same with the films too. I can watch them over and over and I never seem to tire of them.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #25
Jimsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
well. I love the way Peake can take up half a page describing how motes of dust swirl in sunlight, or how many colours the sky takes on at sunset. Has anyone seen the BBC film adaptation of Gormenghast at all? I think it's quite good....
Always good to hear of another Gormenghast fan ... actually I've been quite lucky and managed to persuade several people to read it, so I always have somebody else to have enthusiastic conversations with

I read the books about 10 years before I saw the BBC adaptation (was originally a 4 part TV series, but then released on DVD as a film) and initially I hated it, because it was very different to how I imagined Gormenghast to be ... much more comic and light hearted.

However on viewing it again a couple of years later, I have grown to like it more. Most of the characters were actually quite close to how I imagined them ( except for Fuschia! ). Steerpike was also played extremely well, and although he was supposed to be quite ugly, I can appreciate why they made him so attractive for the film. I'll never understand why they gave him that Phantom of the Opera mask though.

Anyways - back on topic. Definitely a book to read over and over again
Jimsin is offline   Reply With Quote