Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 03-15-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
Sobeh

A quandary

...in that i have to create a new thread (usually bad) to introduce myself to you all! Meh... moving to the meat, time enough for dessert later if no one gets food poisoning:

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)

I'm currently employed as a graduate assistant in the comparative religion department at western michigan university. Hobbies include reading *some* philosophy, as well as religious works, both primary and secondary. Other things as they strike my fancy, I suppose fiction is mentioned later... I can have a damn good time screwing around on a computer, or staying up late with friends.

2. Where are you from?

Born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah, which oddly has a MUCH better subculture community than Kalamazoo, where I am now.

3. Who is your favorite author?

Neil Gaiman for now, because I'm still waiting to see what else Caitlín R. Kiernan is going to produce.

4. What are your favorite films?

The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind affected me in some pretty profound ways, as few films can. Others won't come immediately to mind... must not be favorites now, I suppose.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?

VNV Nation, Standing. The rest will be up to the woman, unless she also doesn't care.

6. At your funeral?

This ceremony is for other people, so they ought to pick what will help them understand that I'm okay with the fact I'm gone (and then, let's fucking hope I *am* okay with it by then!)

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?

Well. Helpfully.

8. What kind of casket would you want?

I'm not sure I would - pressed, maybe something stock like a stone tomb in a sepulchre, with a chain and a little bell in case I get buried prematurely. Something that will inspire others to pay more attention to the fact they're still on their own side of the caul.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?

Top down: mussed and tousled hair, frumpy button-down shirt (maybe the green one, maybe the silver one), standard black hoodie over that (maybe the trench if I'm feeling pretentious), dark rusty jeans, Docs. I really want to find better pants...

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?

Someone else mentioned ignorance, and while that was great, looking back it sure made me miss out on a lot, and take the rest for granted... so, I'd have to say that smiling was easier back then, and so was frowning, and that both of those were good things.

11. What's your favorite band?

Vascillates a lot (statement, that isn't a band! [is it...?]), but I've recently become a mini-cheerleader for The Birthday Massacre. Musical tastes, however, range from SoM, Bauhaus, and Clan of Xymox to Steely Dan and Earth Wind and Fire, and back again towards Ethereal Darkwave stuff. <sigh>

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?

BA in History, working on the MA in Comp. Religion, and I'll eventually get a Ph.D. in (likely) American Religion.

13. Why did you join?

Me want friends! (said like Ludo from _Labyrinth_ would have said it)

--

More later I guess, hopefully more interesting too.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
Magpie_Tendencies

Welcome Sobeh. Can I just ask, are you a guy or a girl? Cos I get confused with genders over the internet. Anyway, welcome and I hope you stick around.

Oh yeah, and your avatar is cute .
Old 03-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #3
Sobeh

To that, I must say I am a guy. I guess having a bit of ambiguity is probably a good thing, however - people tell me I have a sort of androgynous manner of speaking, which I can only hope means good things!
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:39 PM   #4
Sobeh

:O The only reason I put that particular movie there as favorite was (a) it is chronologically closest in having an effect on me that I found positive, and (b) I judge 'favorite' to refer to subjective measures of qualitative analysis, and not a quantitative and objective determination of technical cinematic expertise.

Hrmph.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
Magpie_Tendencies

Relax sweetie. He's just being mean at the moment. I don't think it was a personal attack on you.
I personally loved that movie and I thought it was fascinating. Very interesting idea, though I had to keep explaining it to Mum... she sometimes can't follow those kinds of movies that jump around a lot.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Empty_Purple_Stars

It was a fabulous movie, and I get something new out of it everytime I watch it.

Like Xng said, ignore the negativity.

We really are a fun bunch of Freaks here, and we're glad to welcome you as a new member.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:54 PM   #7
Empty_Purple_Stars

Okay I deleted his messages, and all of the ones with us quoting his hateful bullshit.

Let's try not to scare Sobeh off with our drama.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
tenet_2012

Welcome to the show that never ends.

Also, Eternal Sunshine affected (huh, learn new things everyday... I seen how you put affect in your intro and I looked up the difference between effect and affect and you were right... darn, I was in the grammar police mood) me as profoundly. It was a very good movie.

*pouts*

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #9
tenet_2012

Drama Llama just always seems to follow us around.

--Geisha
Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #10
Sobeh

I feel kinda bad now that I don't have a pic, at least not an electronic one. I think my roomate has one on his phone... he's busy negotiating something at the local pool hall involving a woman and a recent blackout, though, so I'll have to get back with you.

And about drama: meh, I don't get scared off, and I was only upset because it caused all these negative reactions, I felt kinda like the neighbor who walks over to your house and asks for sugar, and the wife says sure, and the husband says Oh, so you'll get *him* sugar but I have to get *my own*, and then she says well, I wouldn't mind if you'd do the fucking *laundry* once in a while, and he says... and I'm standing there still, in the doorway. :P

So! About that sugar...
Old 03-15-2006, 07:29 PM   #11
Magpie_Tendencies

Hee hee hee. You're funny. I like you. I'm very glad that we didn't scare you off.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:33 PM   #12
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenet_2012
darn, I was in the grammar police mood)
I could, conceivably, challenge you to a Grammar Duel, if I weren't so new. If you'd have me, I'll follow tradition and let you pick the weapons: dangling participles or split infinitives, or shall we slum it and stick with misspellings and errant punctuation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
We really are a fun bunch of Freaks here, and we're glad to welcome you as a new member.
=D

::happy dance::

P.S> ^^does that count as the kind of internet-esque language that one ought avoid in polite discourse? I can understand the whole 1337607# problem, but wondered if the gentle approach seen above was acceptable. Need input!
Old 03-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #13
tenet_2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobeh
I could, conceivably, challenge you to a Grammar Duel, if I weren't so new. If you'd have me, I'll follow tradition and let you pick the weapons: dangling participles or split infinitives, or shall we slum it and stick with misspellings and errant punctuation?
I like you.

--Geisha
Old 03-15-2006, 07:57 PM   #14
Sobeh

Where I live in Michigan... so, Kalamazoo, but what you do is this: take your right hand, and look at the palm. It happens to be a map of Michigan too (minus the Upper Peninsula part). Where the forefinger and thumb meet, in that crook there, is where Detroit is. Your fingers are in Canada. Kalamazoo is about as left and low as you can go on the hand, and from Detroit to Kzoo is roughly a two-hour drive. There you go!
Old 03-15-2006, 08:07 PM   #15
Magpie_Tendencies

You guys use your hands for maps? Do you tend to get lost a lot?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:14 PM   #16
Magpie_Tendencies

Actually, yes. That's kind of scary. You really can say you "know Wisconsin like the back of my hand".
Old 03-19-2006, 12:40 AM   #17
Sobeh

Hey! Neato - I'm now a perkygoth! Not that anyone checks back in the intro threads, but since this was quite unimportant I thought I'd just drop myself a line and mention it to me. Indeed, I think as I progress I must change the avatar in true Tamagothi fashion to reflect my current standing. Brilliant!
Old 03-19-2006, 01:50 AM   #18
Godslayer Jillian

Damn, dude, you're hardcore
How about posting your pictures from "then" to "now"?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:59 AM   #19
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
How about posting your pictures from "then" to "now"?
Oh dear.... you mean.... the 'real' ones?? :O Well, I posted an old picture of me from 1998, the freshman year of college, in the Pictures thread. Let's see, I would have been calling myself goth for about a year or two at that point, but the picture quality is pretty grainy, and looking at it now.... just where in the hell *did* I get those glasses?! Wow.

I'll have to see if I can rustle up any others! Haha, ah yes, the pretentions of youth....
Old 03-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #20
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobeh
So! About that sugar...

Will that be one lump or two, dear?

*hides bat*
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #21
Godslayer Jillian

Oh, I was talking about the tamagotchi avatar

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:47 PM   #22
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Oh, I was talking about the tamagotchi avatar
Righto - I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the next step is after this Perky thing wears off. In the meantime, I'll have to show the progression.... I'll try to edit them into this thread, if I don't get back in time I'll just make a new post here. It's my thread, gawdammit, and I'll manipulate it however I wanna!
Old 03-19-2006, 02:55 PM   #23
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Mopeygoth, I believe.
Actually, Mopeygoth seemed to have already come and gone - it was babybat for about 10 posts, then mopey to 49, then from 50 and on it's been perky. I think, from looking at some of the newer posters, that Goth as Fuck occurs around 100 or 120 or something, which seems early, but when we've such vaunted heights as 'Peter Murphy' to get to, I guess Goth as Fuck just isn't all that, now, is it? :P
Old 03-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #24
Sobeh

Okay!

Onward and upward...
Old 03-19-2006, 03:14 PM   #25
Empty_Purple_Stars

Boy, they grow up so fast..

Where oh where does the time go?

*sniffle*